I've just been informed that I am on a very short wait list for UCR's English PhD program. If anyone has gotten into UCR and doesn't plan to go, I'd love you forever for letting them know! And yes, that rhymed. That's how I express my love.

On 3/21/2016 at 7:19 AM, LeadersAsAnimals said:

Hi Dakine,

I was also waitlisted at Auburn. I have not heard anything from them since. I see this going one of two ways. 1. They will notify waitlisters of any movement around the April 15th deadline. 2. We will never hear from them if spots do not open for us waitlisters. What is your focus for the Auburn program? Good luck!

Hey LeaderAsAnimals,

I recently spoke with the DGS at Auburn. He was really friendly and told me that, due to university budget cuts, they are only accepting four Ph.D. students this year instead of the normal six or seven :/ They are still waiting to hear from students, so I guess we'll just sit tight for now. Good luck to you! 

Currently, I'm gravitating towards being an Americanist (19th century), but most of my critical interest lies in ecocriticsm. What about you?

15 hours ago, Dakine said:

Hey LeaderAsAnimals,

I recently spoke with the DGS at Auburn. He was really friendly and told me that, due to university budget cuts, they are only accepting four Ph.D. students this year instead of the normal six or seven :/ They are still waiting to hear from students, so I guess we'll just sit tight for now. Good luck to you! 

Currently, I'm gravitating towards being an Americanist (19th century), but most of my critical interest lies in ecocriticsm. What about you?

Thanks for the info. I'd expect to hear something closer to the April 15 deadline set by the Council of Graduate Schools. Though info may come sooner if the four accepted students respond soon enough. I would love to attend AU for the obvious reasons concerning faculty, but having interacted with some of the faculty and staff throughout the app. process, AU is now at the to the top of my list. They all seem so friendly and interested in my future and future work (maybe this is customary?). 

Are you accepted anywhere else? I have an acceptance to another Uni., so the waitlisting at AU doesn't burn as much as it could have. Again, my experience with AU throughout the app. process catapulted them to the top of my list, which sort of sets me up for a letdown--ha!

I am a Victorianist--so at least we have the 19th century in common--and my specific focus is poco/marxist theory, fin de siecle, degeneration, and tech at the close of the 19th century and early 20th century. 

Here's hoping we both get in off of the waitlist.

3 hours ago, LeadersAsAnimals said:

Thanks for the info. I'd expect to hear something closer to the April 15 deadline set by the Council of Graduate Schools. Though info may come sooner if the four accepted students respond soon enough. I would love to attend AU for the obvious reasons concerning faculty, but having interacted with some of the faculty and staff throughout the app. process, AU is now at the to the top of my list. They all seem so friendly and interested in my future and future work (maybe this is customary?). 

Are you accepted anywhere else? I have an acceptance to another Uni., so the waitlisting at AU doesn't burn as much as it could have. Again, my experience with AU throughout the app. process catapulted them to the top of my list, which sort of sets me up for a letdown--ha!

I am a Victorianist--so at least we have the 19th century in common--and my specific focus is poco/marxist theory, fin de siecle, degeneration, and tech at the close of the 19th century and early 20th century. 

Here's hoping we both get in off of the waitlist.

I agree with you, LeadersAA, Auburn has been upstanding and helpful in the application process; I would really like to attend. As I am not able to leave Alabama (my wife is currently completing her residency here) I was only able to apply to two institutions - U of Alabama and Auburn. I have been waitlisted at both.

Congratulations on your acceptance! And it's good to "meet" someone else interested in the 19th century, even if it is across the pond. One of my all-time favorite professors is a Victorianist - you guys are pretty good people:)

Cheers to both of us getting in off the waitlist!

Congrats on the waitlist, EmmaJava! People must really like making you wait?  But seriously, it's a great accomplishment to make it so far in the process at so many schools. 

And in other waitlist news, I finally got a clearer answer from WUStL about my application there -- basically, I'm on a backup waitlist, but didn't make it to the official waitlist. This means it's highly unlikely I will make it in, but apparently there have been situations in the past where they have needed to use this list right at the Apr. 15 deadline.  So bizarre. Though I suppose I can officially unconcern myself with this school now. 

1 hour ago, HumanCylinder said:

Congrats on the waitlist, EmmaJava! People must really like making you wait?  But seriously, it's a great accomplishment to make it so far in the process at so many schools. 

And in other waitlist news, I finally got a clearer answer from WUStL about my application there -- basically, I'm on a backup waitlist, but didn't make it to the official waitlist. This means it's highly unlikely I will make it in, but apparently there have been situations in the past where they have needed to use this list right at the Apr. 15 deadline.  So bizarre. Though I suppose I can officially unconcern myself with this school now. 

I'm surprised they made you wait so long! They let me know on February 11th...I was rejected very personally with WashU-STL, where they said they were only taking 7 people and they had "several highly qualified candidates" for what I wanted to do there (Digital Humanities + Victorian/Neo-Victorian studies). but went with other students/projects.

1 hour ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I'm surprised they made you wait so long! They let me know on February 11th...I was rejected very personally with WashU-STL, where they said they were only taking 7 people and they had "several highly qualified candidates" for what I wanted to do there (Digital Humanities + Victorian/Neo-Victorian studies). but went with other students/projects.

Wow, that is quite the gap in time.  It's also interesting to know that they only took 7.  I guess I am not technically rejected because the email I received essentially said they liked my app (though clearly not enough to make the official wait list) and are keeping it alive for some highly unlikely, 11th hour scenario. Ultimately, it amounts to little more than some type of "moral victory."  

I'm not sure if you'd be interested -- I'm definitely still hopeful that ASU will come through this year -- but in case you apply in the future, both Texas A&M and Utah have recently hired people who work in digital humanities in addition to having strong 19th c. faculty.  I also seem to remember Washington State having a digital humanities focus.  BTW, I still have no word from ASU.     

54 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

Wow, that is quite the gap in time.  It's also interesting to know that they only took 7.  I guess I am not technically rejected because the email I received essentially said they liked my app (though clearly not enough to make the official wait list) and are keeping it alive for some highly unlikely, 11th hour scenario. Ultimately, it amounts to little more than some type of "moral victory."  

I'm not sure if you'd be interested -- I'm definitely still hopeful that ASU will come through this year -- but in case you apply in the future, both Texas A&M and Utah have recently hired people who work in digital humanities in addition to having strong 19th c. faculty.  I also seem to remember Washington State having a digital humanities focus.  BTW, I still have no word from ASU.     

Hi, I know that you got an early acceptance from New Mexico, would you mind telling me what's your area/focus in study? Are you a Post colonialist? I'm still waiting to hear from them and I'm not really sure why it takes them THAT long to reject or accept me?

2 hours ago, aGiRlCalLeDApPlE said:

Hi, I know that you got an early acceptance from New Mexico, would you mind telling me what's your area/focus in study? Are you a Post colonialist? I'm still waiting to hear from them and I'm not really sure why it takes them THAT long to reject or accept me?

Hi! My area is Modernism (really literature in transition starting with the fin-de-siecle), and I focus on poetry, gender, affect/space and aesthetics/form.  It could be that you are in a situation similar to mine at WUStL, on an unofficial waitlist.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, HumanCylinder said:

I will keep those schools in mind, should I apply in the future. :)

I am still holding out hope for ASU. I've had odd interactions with them the last few days. I had also inquired about their certificate programs in Critical Theory and Digital Humanities, and one of the faculty contacts for the Critical Theory program is also the DGS. He asked me a few questions about my PhD application too, and remembered my SOP, Writing Sample, and directed me to one POI I had mentioned. This was all between Sunday and early Thursday this week.

So, yeah.

3 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I am still holding out hope for ASU. I've had odd interactions with them the last few days. I had also inquired about their certificate programs in Critical Theory and Digital Humanities, and one of the faculty contacts for the Critical Theory program is also the DGS. He asked me a few questions about my PhD application too, and remembered my SOP, Writing Sample, and directed me to one POI I had mentioned. This was all between Sunday and early Thursday this week.

So, yeah.

Hmmmm, the plot thickens.  Well, that sounds like a very positive interaction -- Especially given that, when I emailed to inquire about a timeline for decisions, I got the most generic email that basically said to keep checking my email.

On March 25, 2016 at 0:06 PM, HumanCylinder said:

Thanks! And welcome to the wonderful world of waiting where the water is ok...

I crossed U of Arizona out of my signature as an implied rejection but am now wondering whether that will be my 6th waitlist? By the way, this is a lot of waiting and I am starting to think that aspects of my application made me just strong enough not to be rejected but not well-fit enough to get an acceptance - maybe the whole thing to do with doing away with my fit paragraph. Or...maybe not. Ohio State's rejection will forever bewilder me.

4 hours ago, EmmaJava said:

Thanks! And welcome to the wonderful world of waiting where the water is ok...

I crossed U of Arizona out of my signature as an implied rejection but am now wondering whether that will be my 6th waitlist? By the way, this is a lot of waiting and I am starting to think that aspects of my application made me just strong enough not to be rejected but not well-fit enough to get an acceptance - maybe the whole thing to do with doing away with my fit paragraph. Or...maybe not. Ohio State's rejection will forever bewilder me.

Hm, that's interesting about the fit paragraph.  I hedged my bets and did it for about half of my schools -- perhaps counterintuitively, I used a full fit paragraph for the schools where I already had pretty obvious fit because I thought it was less risky and easier to write concisely.  I also tried to talk to grad students at those programs as well to see if I could get the low down on whether any of the people I mention plan to leave.  I had a fit paragraph for Utah, UNM, and UWashington, but not for TAMU or Arizona, so go figure.  I think I probably didn't need one for UNM, either. 

Anyway, I'm almost certain that I will turn down Arizona after my TAMU visit this week.  Hopefully that would fall to you if you're interested in the program still, though I'm a Modernist/late-Victorianist. 

So is anyone else's whole life in limbo right now?

I'm supposed to give notice to move out of my apartment Friday...but won't know if I'm moving out of town for two weeks after that. Even if I don't get into a program we want to move somewhere else in town, but we haven't even looked anywhere because we can't commit to anything right now because we don't know what we're doing yet! I need to talk to the apartment people this week to see what my options are but have no time because I am currently crying my way through an American ecocriticism class that is so far away from what I'm used to that I just don't even know. Also this week I need to be applying for a job because I can't count on getting into a school to go to next year. But there's that paper for that other class also...

I'm supposed to be in a wedding halfway across the country on June 4. Haven't bought tickets yet because idk if I'll be flying from where I am now. Thinking about just driving, and then looping around to see family (brand new baby niece!!), hit another wedding, then drive home. But will I be able to bring one of my little sisters back with me whom I haven't seen since last summer when I need to find a job for this summer (summer jobs are just the worst and most pain in the ass to find)? 

Anyone else wondering how all your decisions need to be made right now and why can't it just spread out over the rest of the year??

1 hour ago, sarabethke said:

I'm supposed to give notice to move out of my apartment Friday...but won't know if I'm moving out of town for two weeks after that. Even if I don't get into a program we want to move somewhere else in town, but we haven't even looked anywhere because we can't commit to anything right now because we don't know what we're doing yet! I need to talk to the apartment people this week to see what my options are but have no time because I am currently crying my way through an American ecocriticism class that is so far away from what I'm used to that I just don't even know. Also this week I need to be applying for a job because I can't count on getting into a school to go to next year. But there's that paper for that other class also...

I'm supposed to be in a wedding halfway across the country on June 4. Haven't bought tickets yet because idk if I'll be flying from where I am now. Thinking about just driving, and then looping around to see family (brand new baby niece!!), hit another wedding, then drive home. But will I be able to bring one of my little sisters back with me whom I haven't seen since last summer when I need to find a job for this summer (summer jobs are just the worst and most pain in the ass to find)? 

Anyone else wondering how all your decisions need to be made right now and why can't it just spread out over the rest of the year??

Hahaha - YES.

Wanted to let y'all know that I accepted my offer from Miami University  (MA in Composition and Rhetoric) and turned down a fully-funded offer from USF (MA in Rhetoric and Composition) and an acceptance along with a #1 spot on the funding waiting list at UNM (MA in Rhetoric and Writing).

I hope this is able to help someone on this forum out! I'm just so relieved that my choice is made and it's all over. I feel like I can finally breathe for the first time since, like, September!!!

Hey all, I might be a little late to the party but I'm currently waitlisted at U of Minnesota and U of Iowa (both for the English PhDs)! I'd love to get into MN, but I'm not really sure how movement is looking so far. I'd go to either...but if there's no waitlist movement I'll probably be at Boston College for a masters....I'm nervous!

53 minutes ago, klader said:

Wanted to let y'all know that I accepted my offer from Miami University  (MA in Composition and Rhetoric) and turned down a fully-funded offer from USF (MA in Rhetoric and Composition) and an acceptance along with a #1 spot on the funding waiting list at UNM (MA in Rhetoric and Writing).

I hope this is able to help someone on this forum out! I'm just so relieved that my choice is made and it's all over. I feel like I can finally breathe for the first time since, like, September!!!

Congratulations on the decision!

19 hours ago, sarabethke said:

You're not alone Sarabethke! Goodluck with everything!

On 2016 මාර්තු 19 at 2:52 PM, MedFemAglaeca said: