2 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

Congrats, DaniB23! Wishing my best for everyone waiting on decisions; I hope things shape up in the next week so that final decisions can be made.

Thank you!  Oh the anxiety of positive news!

It seems like the schools I applied to were not super popular among this year's GC application cohort, but I've declined my acceptances/waitlist spot from these programs: University of Washington (it was an unfunded offer, so don't get too excited), University of New Mexico, and Washington State (a wait list spot). I'm waiting to visit the other schools to make my decision. If I get in to ASU or Baylor, I would turn down my offer (those are the schools I'm waiting to hear from; pretty sure I'm in some waitlist abyss at WUStL)

@DaniB23, does this mean you've come to a final decision about where to attend?

1 hour ago, HumanCylinder said:

It seems like the schools I applied to were not super popular among this year's GC application cohort, but I've declined my acceptances/waitlist spot from these programs: University of Washington (it was an unfunded offer, so don't get too excited), University of New Mexico, and Washington State (a wait list spot). I'm waiting to visit the other schools to make my decision. If I get in to ASU or Baylor, I would turn down my offer (those are the schools I'm waiting to hear from; pretty sure I'm in some waitlist abyss at WUStL)

@DaniB23, does this mean you've come to a final decision about where to attend?

I have!  I only had one accept and the two waitlists, but from the moment I got the accept at SUNY Binghamton I knew it was the right program for me.  Speaking with the DGS at Florida completely solidified that (one of the main people I wanted to work with is going to be abroad on fellowship for the entire first year of UF's 4 year program, so that wouldn't have worked out had I got in).  I got a very generous funding package + provost's summer fellowship, and I get to work with some really amazing poco/film faculty!

My fingers are crossed for you for ASU or Baylor!

1 hour ago, DaniB23 said:

I have!  I only had one accept and the two waitlists, but from the moment I got the accept at SUNY Binghamton I knew it was the right program for me.  Speaking with the DGS at Florida completely solidified that (one of the main people I wanted to work with is going to be abroad on fellowship for the entire first year of UF's 4 year program, so that wouldn't have worked out had I got in).  I got a very generous funding package + provost's summer fellowship, and I get to work with some really amazing poco/film faculty!

My fingers are crossed for you for ASU or Baylor!

Congratulations! It must be so exciting to have a final answer. 

P.S.: I should probably clarify something that was poorly worded in my previous post. I meant I would turn down ASU or Baylor if either were to accept me at this point because I prefer my current offers. I emailed both programs for a status update, and the DGS at Baylor got back to me instantaneously, saying I was rejected.

About 10 days ago, the DGS from my top choice (currently waitlisted) contacted me to ask whether I was still interested in the program. 

"I am writing to confirm your continued interest in our Phd program. We are not yet ready to admit anyone off the waitlist, but I would be happy to turn to you if the opportunity arose, so I thought I would check in. Please let me know if you have any questions about the program or the process."

Do DGSs often do this? I keep reading about people contacting DGSs with questions about the waitlist, but never the reverse. I'm wondering if this is a really good sign or if they've most likely also contacted other people on their waitlist.

Naturally I responded with a heck yes!, reiterated that it was my top choice for xyz and asked some questions regarding the waitlist...which turns out is not ranked. 

He told me that he didn't want to give me false hope, but claimed, "I would not have written to you again if I didn't think there was a legitimate possibility that a spot would open for you."

I want to be excited, but at the same time there's a voice in the back of my head saying "bet he says that to everyone."

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, WildeCard said:

He told me that he didn't want to give me false hope, but claimed, "I would not have written to you again if I didn't think there was a legitimate possibility that a spot would open for you."

I want to be excited, but at the same time there's a voice in the back of my head saying "bet he says that to everyone."

Thoughts?

I think it's safe to say it's a good sign. I don't think it means you're in, but it sounds like he suspects an opportunity could arise and wants to make sure you're available. This just happened to me last night. I had a very positive "I suspect we'll go to the waitlist, be encouraged" email then about a week later was offered a spot. Fingers crossed for you! The waitlist is a special brand of limbo. It's both flattering and terrible, especially when the program is your first choice. So don't start packing your bags, but do take it as a potentially positive sign. 

24 minutes ago, sarabethke said:

With my rejection finally in from Indiana, I'm banking on my waitlists at this point. Terrifying.

I'm pulling for you! Apparently it's still "early" for waitlists - this according to three of the four DGS's who've waitlisted me.

2 hours ago, EmmaJava said:

I'm pulling for you! Apparently it's still "early" for waitlists - this according to three of the four DGS's who've waitlisted me.

You're right, you're right, I know you're right!

Davis's visiting day isn't for another two weeks, and I have no clue when Mississippi's is. I'm sure many people won't make their decisions until after visiting. So it's definitely early. But still :(

13 hours ago, sarabethke said:

You're right, you're right, I know you're right!

Davis's visiting day isn't for another two weeks, and I have no clue when Mississippi's is. I'm sure many people won't make their decisions until after visiting. So it's definitely early. But still :(

Waiting for the right email is also draining the life out of me. It's nice to know it's still early though! I got my 8 rejections in a row (1 waitlisted, 1 accepted) and I'm feeling like I did something wrong. 

To the person who posted on the results board about declining their offer to Mizzou, first of all, THANK YOU!, and second of all, could you please be so kind as to specify what your area is? Thanks in advance.

On 3/6/2016 at 7:58 PM, Juneoh said:

Does anyone have any news on U of Minnesota? Has anybody got off the waitlist? I've seen a couple of ppl posting their acceptance but never saw one off the waitlist...

What's your subfield?  We waitlist by subfield and just had our prospectives visit.  It is spring break now, but I would guess some movement will start happening soon.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Hi..I was wondering if anybody has anything on the Brandeis English Phd wait list? I was bracing myself for a cold-blooded rejection when I heard that they have put me on the wait list. In the same mail they asked me to let them know if I'm still interested.. I was so excited I wrote them a gushing reply expressing my interest! (blush! blush!). They didn't even acknowledge it. I feel snubbed! However, it is my top choice! I absolutely love the program and feel it to be the best fit for me..Honestly, for me, it's as good as going to the Ivy League! I'm dying to know something about the cohort size and wait list - if it's ranked or unranked, my position in it if ranked (Judging by their lack of enthusiasm for my mail, I've a feeling it's low :-( ) but still I would like to know for sure so I can kill all hope which keeps persisting, no matter how hard I try to squash it ...I'm wondering whether I should write to the DGS but I feel too embarrassed.. They have probably put me down as a fanatical nut case; don't want to risk being a nuisance...

Would really appreciate anything you can tell me about the Brandeis wait list...

11 hours ago, hello_kitty said:

Hi..I was wondering if anybody has anything on the Brandeis English Phd wait list? I was bracing myself for a cold-blooded rejection when I heard that they have put me on the wait list. In the same mail they asked me to let them know if I'm still interested.. I was so excited I wrote them a gushing reply expressing my interest! (blush! blush!). They didn't even acknowledge it. I feel snubbed! However, it is my top choice! I absolutely love the program and feel it to be the best fit for me..Honestly, for me, it's as good as going to the Ivy League! I'm dying to know something about the cohort size and wait list - if it's ranked or unranked, my position in it if ranked (Judging by their lack of enthusiasm for my mail, I've a feeling it's low :-( ) but still I would like to know for sure so I can kill all hope which keeps persisting, no matter how hard I try to squash it ...I'm wondering whether I should write to the DGS but I feel too embarrassed.. They have probably put me down as a fanatical nut case; don't want to risk being a nuisance...

Would really appreciate anything you can tell me about the Brandeis wait list...

When Davis notified me of my waitlist status I also wrote a gushing email. They didn't reply, but I hadn't asked questions. I was a little embarrassed and didn't say anything for a couple weeks but finally emailed with waitlist questions. The contact person replied and was perfectly friendly and understanding, and I realized that my response probably was not unusual and they're totally used to it. 

So, have courage! Go ahead and email without embarrassment. 

9 hours ago, sarabethke said:

When Davis notified me of my waitlist status I also wrote a gushing email. They didn't reply, but I hadn't asked questions. I was a little embarrassed and didn't say anything for a couple weeks but finally emailed with waitlist questions. The contact person replied and was perfectly friendly and understanding, and I realized that my response probably was not unusual and they're totally used to it. 

So, have courage! Go ahead and email without embarrassment. 

Thanks sarabethke! I didn't ask any questions in my first mail..was just too happy to know there was still hope! Yeah, I think I will write to them in few days...I think someone here said it's too early to expect movement in waitlist...

By the way, good luck to you with the Davis wait list! 

46 minutes ago, hello_kitty said:

Thanks sarabethke! I didn't ask any questions in my first mail..was just too happy to know there was still hope! Yeah, I think I will write to them in few days...I think someone here said it's too early to expect movement in waitlist...

By the way, good luck to you with the Davis wait list! 

Exactly! Your thoughts sound a lot like mine and i got some courage from gradcafe to email again! Email etiquette is weird and confusing lol! And it is early. It won't be until the week before the deadline that we will see any movement, probably. 

And thank you! Good luck with Brandeis!

I got admitted at Brandeis but received an email from POI which kinda recommends me to attend another program, since she'll retire soon and it seems like there won't be any course related to my research interest at least 2-3 yrs... so I'll turn down my offer soon. Hope it'll help @hello_kitty, altho I'm not sure how Brandeis handles their waitlists, e.g. by research area or not.

8 hours ago, MedFemAglaeca said:

I got admitted at Brandeis but received an email from POI which kinda recommends me to attend another program, since she'll retire soon and it seems like there won't be any course related to my research interest at least 2-3 yrs... so I'll turn down my offer soon. Hope it'll help @hello_kitty, altho I'm not sure how Brandeis handles their waitlists, e.g. by research area or not.

8 hours ago, MedFemAglaeca said:

Thank you very much for the news MedFemAglaeca! So good of you to share it..I know you declining the offer won't necessarily gurantee a spot for me, but after hearing your news my desperate hopes have brightened up a bit! During this anxious time, it means a lot!  I hope your dream school will come knocking on your door with an offer of a very generous stipend! 

Edited by hello_kitty
Formatting error..

Hello All, 

I hope you all don't mind if I join the nail-biting group. I was wondering if anyone has applied to and/or has had word from Auburn or U of Alabama? I have been waitlisted at both. The DGS at Auburn told me that I am at the top of the list, so I hope that turns into good news. I'm just curious to see if there's any movement out there for these programs. Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks!

Hi all! I have done some pretty serious lurking on this thread, so I thought I would join in. I have been waitlisted at three schools (UCSB, Illinois-Chicago, and Loyola University Chicago). I have three acceptances (Fordham, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Madison for Theatre Studies), but if I were accepted to either UCSB or UIC it would be a game changer. 

Good luck to everyone waitlisted or making decisions or anything in-between!!

1 hour ago, CBS3 said:

Hi all! I have done some pretty serious lurking on this thread, so I thought I would join in. I have been waitlisted at three schools (UCSB, Illinois-Chicago, and Loyola University Chicago). I have three acceptances (Fordham, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Madison for Theatre Studies), but if I were accepted to either UCSB or UIC it would be a game changer. 

Good luck to everyone waitlisted or making decisions or anything in-between!!

Hi, CBS3! Welcome and congrats on your success!

16 hours ago, Dakine said:

Hello All, 

I hope you all don't mind if I join the nail-biting group. I was wondering if anyone has applied to and/or has had word from Auburn or U of Alabama? I have been waitlisted at both. The DGS at Auburn told me that I am at the top of the list, so I hope that turns into good news. I'm just curious to see if there's any movement out there for these programs. Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks!

Hi Dakine,

I was also waitlisted at Auburn. I have not heard anything from them since. I see this going one of two ways. 1. They will notify waitlisters of any movement around the April 15th deadline. 2. We will never hear from them if spots do not open for us waitlisters. What is your focus for the Auburn program? Good luck!