Online Pre-Req Programs

Hi everyone!

I'm an out-of-field applicant and applied to only 2 in-state graduate programs that accommodate students like me! I'm currently looking to attend an online post-bac program in the event that I do not get accepted into either of the programs. I heard that Idaho State and Northwestern had great online programs to complete my pre-reqs, but was hoping to hear other people's personal experiences! I also saw UW-EAU Claire as a top link when searching for online programs but don't know anyone whose taken courses online from any of these schools. I'd appreciate any advice/comments! :) 

I am also an out-of-field applicant. I did my post-bac at CSUSM. Though I loved the professors, I am still missing a couple really important courses (specifically Aural Rehabilitation). My advice would be to see which programs offer the most courses which apply to the Master's programs you would like to enter. My biggest mistake was just jumping into a program without doing as much research as I should've. 

I would also look into more programs which have a prerequisite program which gives automatic admissions into their Master's program if you do well. I know Cal State Northridge has a program like this. 

I'm currently in Longwood's SLP Online program and I love it! The professors are incredibly helpful, especially for it being totally online. Honestly some of them are more helpful than teachers I had during my undergrad which was all in-person! It's really affordable, too (I'm in-state though) and I highly recommend it.

Hi there! I took three online classes through Northwestern and three through USU. Planning one more through USU this summer.

Northwestern's program only has five classes, which could potentially be an issue when it comes to fulfilling all requirements for certain graduate programs. However, each class I took covered a lot, perhaps more than the course title might indicate. For example, Intro to Audiology covered sound and acoustics, anatomy, physiology and neurology of the ear and hearing, and audiological history, principles and methods. Obviously not all topics were covered to the degree they might be in a standalone course on acoustics or neurology, though. 

Northwestern is expensive. The classes were $1600 or $1700 each. The classes were small, though, which was a major advantage as I was able to form relationships with my professors even online. I had two letters of recommendation from NU professors. 

USU was great. The classes are huge and your work may be graded by TAs, but the professors are still accessible. It's a very well-run program. I felt NU's program was a little haphazard at times, for example not knowing who the professor for a course would be until the day before it started. I don't think that would happen with USU. Also, the number and variety of course offerings are extensive, and the price was about 1/2 of what I spent on NU for each course. 

I feel the course content of each program helped prepare me well and I would recommend both overall. :-) 

I'm taking 2 courses right now online through Kean University. It's not that expensive, but I'm in-state. Not sure if there's a difference for out-of-state people for online classes. The two that I'm taking are super easy (intro to communication disorders and language development) and require very little time commitment, which allows me to work a couple part-time jobs and save for grad school.

I'm in my 3rd semester (doing 2-3 courses at a time) at Utah State. USU doesn't have every pre-req for every grad school (no neuroanatomy, fluency, voice disorders, multicultural, or autism) but it has most of them. Tuition is pretty reasonable (cheaper than Sacramento State or Cal State Northridge even though I'm a CA resident) at $299/credit.

One reason I chose them is because USU has a strong graduate training program in Listening and Spoken Language for the deaf & hard-of-hearing. When I checked out the bios of the students who were in the LSL program, every single one of them had either a 1st or 2nd bachelor's from USU. So I got the sense that USU really favors its own undergrads in their grad admissions. That's something that I've heard is true for certain other schools (like many of the Cal States) and is worth checking into if your "dream" grad school offers a post-bacc/2nd bachelor's.

I am in my last semester of USFs online 2nd bachelors in CSD. I have really enjoyed the program. I work full time and I feel like the part time program (2classes per semester) has been really manageable. The majority of the teachers have been great and I feel like I have learned a lot. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. Good luck!

I have been taking pre-reqs through Eastern New Mexico University. I picked it because they use an asynchronous model (you can watch the lectures whenever you like), they offer many different classes in most semesters, and they are very reasonably priced. The professors and the classes have been fine; I haven't formed particularly close connections with the professors, but that's my responsibility, not theirs. The one professor who agreed to write my LOR has been very helpful (and I should probably send her thank-you flowers in the near future...). They also offer 8 week and 16 week classes, which is a nice option. I took two 8 week classes my first term (summer) and I felt like I was losing my mind; since then, I have taken one 16 week class each semester, and that has been much more manageable. 

23 hours ago, diana. said:
23 hours ago, sudsnbubbles said:

I am also an out-of-field applicant. I did my post-bac at CSUSM. Though I loved the professors, I am still missing a couple really important courses (specifically Aural Rehabilitation). My advice would be to see which programs offer the most courses which apply to the Master's programs you would like to enter. My biggest mistake was just jumping into a program without doing as much research as I should've. 

I would also look into more programs which have a prerequisite program which gives automatic admissions into their Master's program if you do well. I know Cal State Northridge has a program like this. 

Great idea! I've been so focused on looking at all the available online programs I didn't think to research which courses I'd actually need for my chosen Master's program. This should help narrow my choices as well. I will be sure to add Cal State Northridge onto the list! :)  

23 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

I'm currently in Longwood's SLP Online program and I love it! The professors are incredibly helpful, especially for it being totally online. Honestly some of them are more helpful than teachers I had during my undergrad which was all in-person! It's really affordable, too (I'm in-state though) and I highly recommend it.

Added Longwood onto the list. I don't think this school even popped up when I googled online programs! Though from a quick glance through their FAQ, it looks like out-of state would cost $350 vs the in-state tuition at $275 per credit hour! :( Definitely jealous. I'll still check it out and look through their program some more. THANK YOU!

22 hours ago, Cowsy said:

Hi there! I took three online classes through Northwestern and three through USU. Planning one more through USU this summer.

Northwestern's program only has five classes, which could potentially be an issue when it comes to fulfilling all requirements for certain graduate programs. However, each class I took covered a lot, perhaps more than the course title might indicate. For example, Intro to Audiology covered sound and acoustics, anatomy, physiology and neurology of the ear and hearing, and audiological history, principles and methods. Obviously not all topics were covered to the degree they might be in a standalone course on acoustics or neurology, though. 

Northwestern is expensive. The classes were $1600 or $1700 each. The classes were small, though, which was a major advantage as I was able to form relationships with my professors even online. I had two letters of recommendation from NU professors. 

USU was great. The classes are huge and your work may be graded by TAs, but the professors are still accessible. It's a very well-run program. I felt NU's program was a little haphazard at times, for example not knowing who the professor for a course would be until the day before it started. I don't think that would happen with USU. Also, the number and variety of course offerings are extensive, and the price was about 1/2 of what I spent on NU for each course. 

I feel the course content of each program helped prepare me well and I would recommend both overall. :-) 

I did notice that Northwestern's program was complied only in 5 courses - which is kind of intimidating and then the tuition was alarmingly high. Were the classes difficult? I was told from a friend that their program is a lot harder than most.

Oh and I'll definitely look into USU! I think tuition is going to play a huge role in where I end up going - were you able to use financial aid for either Northwestern and USU?

10 hours ago, limegreen19 said:

I'm taking 2 courses right now online through Kean University. It's not that expensive, but I'm in-state. Not sure if there's a difference for out-of-state people for online classes. The two that I'm taking are super easy (intro to communication disorders and language development) and require very little time commitment, which allows me to work a couple part-time jobs and save for grad school.

That actually sounds amazing because I wanna be able to continue working to save up for grad school and worry the course load will be too much. I couldn't find tuition for out-of-state online courses on their website. How much do you pay in-state online?

9 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

I'm in my 3rd semester (doing 2-3 courses at a time) at Utah State. USU doesn't have every pre-req for every grad school (no neuroanatomy, fluency, voice disorders, multicultural, or autism) but it has most of them. Tuition is pretty reasonable (cheaper than Sacramento State or Cal State Northridge even though I'm a CA resident) at $299/credit.

One reason I chose them is because USU has a strong graduate training program in Listening and Spoken Language for the deaf & hard-of-hearing. When I checked out the bios of the students who were in the LSL program, every single one of them had either a 1st or 2nd bachelor's from USU. So I got the sense that USU really favors its own undergrads in their grad admissions. That's something that I've heard is true for certain other schools (like many of the Cal States) and is worth checking into if your "dream" grad school offers a post-bacc/2nd bachelor's.

Thanks so much for the reply. I hadn't had the chance to look at the courses USU offers so it's good to know they don't offer them all so I can be aware of other programs that might have the ones they are missing. :) I have a special interest in autism so I'd have to find a program that offers more courses in that specialty. The $299 per credit just sounds so nice though!! How is the workload at USU?

8 hours ago, Lunalulu2 said:

I am in my last semester of USFs online 2nd bachelors in CSD. I have really enjoyed the program. I work full time and I feel like the part time program (2classes per semester) has been really manageable. The majority of the teachers have been great and I feel like I have learned a lot. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. Good luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply -- I'll have to check USF program. I haven't considered grabbing a 2nd bachelors. Does it take longer than completing just the necessary pre-req courses?

1 hour ago, copaceticbroad said:

I have been taking pre-reqs through Eastern New Mexico University. I picked it because they use an asynchronous model (you can watch the lectures whenever you like), they offer many different classes in most semesters, and they are very reasonably priced. The professors and the classes have been fine; I haven't formed particularly close connections with the professors, but that's my responsibility, not theirs. The one professor who agreed to write my LOR has been very helpful (and I should probably send her thank-you flowers in the near future...). They also offer 8 week and 16 week classes, which is a nice option. I took two 8 week classes my first term (summer) and I felt like I was losing my mind; since then, I have taken one 16 week class each semester, and that has been much more manageable. 

I love that they use an asynchronous model (I had no idea that was a term). This would make scheduling work easier and take the stress off of having set "class hours". Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I'll be sure to check into their program!! :D And congrats on your acceptances!

USF's program is 12 classes but seems to contain all of the prerequisites for all programs. It is also asynchronous. One perk of a 2nd bachelors is that you can get financial aid easier.   

In terms of the leveling vs. full 2nd bachelor's, one thing to keep in mind is that the fewer courses you take at the undergrad level, the more you'll have to take at the grad level paying $$$$ for graduate tuition. Also, a bachelor's in CSD is required in my state for SLP Assistant licensing. If I want to have the option of working as a SLPA either PT during grad school (like the Northern AZ summers-only program) or FT if I don't get in the first time around, I need to have the 2nd bachelor's.

20 hours ago, Lunalulu2 said:

USF's program is 12 classes but seems to contain all of the prerequisites for all programs. It is also asynchronous. One perk of a 2nd bachelors is that you can get financial aid easier.   

Do they cap you as to how many courses you can take in a semester if you're taking classes online? I know at my university for undergrad, you had to get cleared by the department if you wanted to get over like 18 credit hours. 

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

In terms of the leveling vs. full 2nd bachelor's, one thing to keep in mind is that the fewer courses you take at the undergrad level, the more you'll have to take at the grad level paying $$$$ for graduate tuition. Also, a bachelor's in CSD is required in my state for SLP Assistant licensing. If I want to have the option of working as a SLPA either PT during grad school (like the Northern AZ summers-only program) or FT if I don't get in the first time around, I need to have the 2nd bachelor's.

It looks like a lot of these leveling programs have a separate tuition rate and aren't considered graduate or undergraduate courses. I just worry it would take longer to get a 2nd bachelor's degree vs. just taking only a few recommended pre-reqs. 

10 minutes ago, diana. said:

Do they cap you as to how many courses you can take in a semester if you're taking classes online? I know at my university for undergrad, you had to get cleared by the department if you wanted to get over like 18 credit hours. 

It looks like a lot of these leveling programs have a separate tuition rate and aren't considered graduate or undergraduate courses. I just worry it would take longer to get a 2nd bachelor's degree vs. just taking only a few recommended pre-reqs. 

USF has two options: full time 4 classes per semester so 1 year or part time 2 classes per semester so it takes two years 

43 minutes ago, Lunalulu2 said:

USF has two options: full time 4 classes per semester so 1 year or part time 2 classes per semester so it takes two years 

Thanks for letting me know! And btw, congrats on your acceptances! I see you've gotten 4 so far! Which university is your #1 choice?! :) 

BTW, Anyone out there have any experiences with Idaho State?!?!

Edited by diana.

1 minute ago, diana. said:

Thanks for letting me know! And btw, congrats on your acceptances! I see you've gotten 4 so far! Which university is your #1 choice?! :)

Thanks! I am still pretty shocked. I honestly thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere due to my cumulative GPA. I haven't made any decisions yet. I really would like to move outside of Florida for grad school but can't justify paying double for out of state tuition. I am still hoping for a funding offer but if that doesn't happen then I would probably take my spot at USF. 

4 minutes ago, Lunalulu2 said:

Thanks! I am still pretty shocked. I honestly thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere due to my cumulative GPA. I haven't made any decisions yet. I really would like to move outside of Florida for grad school but can't justify paying double for out of state tuition. I am still hoping for a funding offer but if that doesn't happen then I would probably take my spot at USF. 

Your GRE score and CSD GPA definitely made up for your cumulative GPA that's for sure :D I don't think any of us can justify paying double for anything unless we were to win the Powerball. :lol:

13 hours ago, diana. said:

Grad school is 3 years for out-of-field vs. only 2 years for someone with a bachelor's in CSD. The cost for a 2nd bachelor's at USU is $10,465 and a lot of my target grad schools charge way more than that for a year's worth of tuition.

• 8 months later...

Are the 8 week courses offered at ENMU manageable? I work full time at a school and have a family, so just wondering. I would love to squeeze in 2 courses a semester vs. 1.  Also, how many exams are proctored in the undergraduate program?

• 1 year later...

Hi there! 

I tried Cal State San Marcos and had an AWFUL experience. The professors were terrible. One class, we weren't allowed to see the results of quizzes or tests.  Also the classes had a required online meeting each week which made it inconvenient. 

I switched to Longwood and loved it for the most part. I also attended OSU for one class (aur rehab) and it was great, just more expensive...

3 hours ago, PuuOnToast said:

Hi there! 

I tried Cal State San Marcos and had an AWFUL experience. The professors were terrible. One class, we weren't allowed to see the results of quizzes or tests.  Also the classes had a required online meeting each week which made it inconvenient. 

I switched to Longwood and loved it for the most part. I also attended OSU for one class (aur rehab) and it was great, just more expensive...

Hello! What is the application process like for these online programs? Do you just apply at any time? 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:24 PM, Felice said:

Hello! What is the application process like for these online programs? Do you just apply at any time? 

The process is very easy for longwood. You can apply anytime but they do have deadlines and run on a semester system with a short summer term. If I remember correctly OSU had an application fee...