We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 minute ago, janetjanejune said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny OMG! Finally someone who doesn't watch movies! I told someone this before and you would have thought I said 'I throw puppies in the ocean for fun'.

I don't hate movies. I actually enjoy them when I see them. I just don't have a need to watch them or go out to the theaters.

Feel asleep on the first three Star Wars movies (friend forced me to watch them after work), only saw Chamber of Secrets (field trip) and Deathly Hallows Pt. II (friend really wanted to see it in theaters even though I told her I hadn't watched Part One), only saw the last two LotR (friends did a marathon w/o the first one) and one Hobbit movie (friend wanted to see it in theaters). I only watch movies when someone forces me to. :lol:

Now TV shows. That's my shit. Star Trek is my love.

See, I don't watch tv. In fact, I had to convince the att uverse lady that I did actually want to cancel my tv because I hadn't watched it the entire year I had it. Next week we won't even have tv in the apt. 

I watch my weekend night-time movies (I can't drink or go to parties or clubs/bars) So after-dinner movies are really about as fun as the weekend gets. 

I watch everything on Netflix and on demand, all the TV shows I like play way past my bedtime (like 9pm but I'm a granny). I enjoy movies and will go to the cinema for some (like I'll go for Finding Dory) but am more than happy to wait to watch them too. Books though, books I struggle to wait to read if there's a new one by a favourite author.

We have progress on my research! Hopefully might end up just a week behind schedule. Here's hoping because otherwise there'll be tears. 

@hippyscientist, thanks! At the very least, I have very few hobbies outside of reading books about things somewhat related to what I study, so. :D 

As per movies, I used to go see far more, but a visit to the theater is rare nowadays. I don't think I've gone in a year or so. I don't even subscribe to Netflix. Even when I subscribe to it, all I really used it for was documentaries, and I burned through everything I wanted to watch.

So I can bring very little to the current conversation. :D 

I'm so glad there are others who don't watch movies! I also love TV shows, so not all hope is lost :P As far as cinema movies, I either wait until they are on Netflix to stream (I'm mooching off my sister's Netflix, it's the best!) or just torrent them. I also hate movie theaters.. too many loud people! But surely I'm not alone there :D

2 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

I just got back from Disney World, definitely the happiest/greatest place on earth! :D Now to get back to worrying about school!

Have you read Jean Baudrillard's America? The depiction of Disney totally changed how I view Epcot. Really interesting stuff there on how Americans view idyllic "Americana" and the rest of the world!

I feel super guilty with all this discussion on media...as a media scholar, I consume SO MUCH media. There are shows I actively dislike but still hate-watch because of my research interests, like Arrow or Bats v. Supes....as I've aged, there are also things I used to like that now I find really problematic and then get angry watching like Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings. It's sad how so much media is incongruent with being an intersectional feminist; as the term goes "your fave is problematic."

Also, with Gilmore Girls––have any of y'all watched Jane the Virgin? I feel like there are some parallels between the two.

5 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

As much as I love the blue one, I'd probably go for the last one because lots of space. I'm one of these people who lives out their bag and will carry my laptop, gym clothes (& shower stuff), lunch etc in one bag. It depends what you will use it for. If it's a carting around everything bag, the Explorer has my vote.

@Cat_Robutt Arrow is epic. Unfortunately I've been limited to the seasons on Netflix in the UK so I've only seen the first 2 or 3. I love cheesy bad telly with the occasional good show thrown in. Jane the Virgin is lined up to be watched, I'm just not sure I want to board the feels train just yet!

1 minute ago, janetjanejune said:

@sjoh197 I'd buy the first one for style, the other two for function. Will you have a lot to carry?

See, I really don't know. I would have definitely had to have had the third one for my undergrad because I had to carry 12 hours worth of crap around for classes, labs, research, lunch etc. every day. But I have now been banished from doing this because of the problems it caused my back. And I will find out if I need surgery on my ankle tomorrow... so there's that. Now I will be TA-ing and taking 3 classes. But I will have my car parked nearby. And eventually I might have an office, right?

I love the color of the first one, but I like the shape/pockets of the second one, and the durable-looking-ness of the third one lol. That's why I need help.  

10 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

Hm...no-go to backaches. You could always try rolling bookbags. Might seem childish at first, but I've seen professors rock ones and no one questioned them. 

I've wondered about that, but I've never actually talked to anyone that owns one. Do you know if they're practical? They're not cheap, so I don't want to get one if they're awkward.

13 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

I had one back in elementary school. Besides it occasionally hitting your feet, they're really nice. Spacious, no strain on your back. There are some that convert to traditional backpacks.

OMG I think you're my hero. After looking at the roller-bags... I remembered that some time ago, we were given a brand new codi roller-bag that has been sitting up in our closet forever. I just pulled it out, and this is it. Do you think it would work? It's supposed to be for like really nice business people, but...

https://www.codiworldwide.com/products/laptop-cases/wheeled/mobile-max-tall-17-3-wheeled-case-details

Ooh...very snazzy. Looks like a suitcase! Would definitely get the job done.

P.S. We *are* really nice business people. We're employees of higher education, which is a part of the government. So actually, we're really nice government people.

Edited by janetjanejune

56 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I've wondered about that, but I've never actually talked to anyone that owns one. Do you know if they're practical? They're not cheap, so I don't want to get one if they're awkward.

I have a friend that used one but she always had problems rolling it across grass/uneven pavement, and up stairs. Plus they're loud rolling across the floor.

2 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Have you read Jean Baudrillard's America? The depiction of Disney totally changed how I view Epcot. Really interesting stuff there on how Americans view idyllic "Americana" and the rest of the world!

I haven't, but I'll have to check it out, thanks! I really enjoyed Epcot and the history behind it is super interesting. I can't wait to go back! 

Edited by Danger_Zone

@sjoh197. - If you want indestructible and don't care about looks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KDBHWM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464735693&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=mil-tec+backpack&dpPl=1&dpID=515bLkIaPAL&ref=plSrch

Turns out 2 other people in my lab also have the exact same bag. I use it for everything, including travel.

Maybe also consider the original LL Bean backpack. Similar style to the first bag you linked to, but they're super high quality and have a lifetime warranty (which they'll honor with no questions asked, even if it wears out). http://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=null-816&skCatId=62856#62856 (Also comes in printed variety.)

8 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I think rolling backpacks/suitcases are fine for shorter people.  I'm 5'7 and the handle never extends enough for me to be upright.  So then my back and neck hurt from leaning over to pull it which is annoying.

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I got my last paycheck from my old university and my first paycheck from Cornell on the same day... *throws money everywhere*

LOLOL! This is what I do every single time I get paid. I feel like such a baller, and start buying lipstick and wine like they're penny candy. 

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I got my last paycheck from my old university and my first paycheck from Cornell on the same day... *throws money everywhere*

When we sold our last car, we had thousands of dollars in cash, and we were literally throwing it around like they do in movies. Then we became extremely paranoid because it was a holiday weekend and the bank wouldn't be open for 2 days. So we had thousands of dollars just sitting in our apartment. 

We hid the cash deep inside one of our tarantula cages and figured 1. no criminal would look there and 2. if they did they would get bit.