Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

12 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Still nothing :( Come on West coast schools, let's start sending out interviews!!! I'm getting so stressed

I don't know why but the waiting has seemed so much harder and more daunting to me! Part of my just wants an answer. But then that answer might be no so I don't want to hear it!

29 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Still nothing :( Come on West coast schools, let's start sending out interviews!!! I'm getting so stressed

I know exactly how you feel. I've only got Sarah Lawrence, USF, and Rutgers left to get interviews from. I'm slowly losing hope. Although I do know Rutgers was reviewing my application yesterday, they sent me an email asking about one of my transcripts. But both Sarah Lawrence and Rutgers are closed today because of the snow storm so at least I'll be a little less anxious today knowing that I can't get any denials from them at the moment.

32 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I don't know why but the waiting has seemed so much harder and more daunting to me! Part of my just wants an answer. But then that answer might be no so I don't want to hear it!

At this point I'd take even one no, just to know they even looked at my application. 

14 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

I know exactly how you feel. I've only got Sarah Lawrence, USF, and Rutgers left to get interviews from. I'm slowly losing hope. Although I do know Rutgers was reviewing my application yesterday, they sent me an email asking about one of my transcripts. But both Sarah Lawrence and Rutgers are closed today because of the snow storm so at least I'll be a little less anxious today knowing that I can't get any denials from them at the moment.

I'm still waiting to hear from all 8 I applied to! However, seeing as Denver has sent interviews out, I am kind of writing them off the list.. But everyone else, I'm still just twiddling my thumbs waiting. It's nerve wracking! 

At least still being in school forces me to not focus on it as much as I'd like with homework and readings, but still 

11 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

At this point I'd take even one no, just to know they even looked at my application. 

I'm still waiting to hear from all 8 I applied to! However, seeing as Denver has sent interviews out, I am kind of writing them off the list.. But everyone else, I'm still just twiddling my thumbs waiting. It's nerve wracking! 

At least still being in school forces me to not focus on it as much as I'd like with homework and readings, but still 

I understand your anxiety. I got an interview with Rutgers. Denied from UNCG. I am assuming I will be rejected from Virginia considering everyone seems to have heard from them.

But I am still waiting on Bay Path, Thomas Jefferson, Arcadia, University of South Carolina, and University of South Florida.

Thomas Jefferson has a really late deadline this year and said people will hear back by March 18th (so far away!!!)

33 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

BU has a snow day today as well, so we're not going to hear from them today, either.

Does anyone have an idea of the volume of applications school received this year? I've heard it's been a record year, but I'm curious what that means, number-wise.

18 hours ago, robyn94 said:

Thank you :) I received my interview offer on Feb. 3rd. 

Hey all, congratulations on interviews and being so strong with the waiting game.

Robyn94, I hope you do amazing on your interviews. I am also applying to Canadian schools and have applied to UBC- I am wondering, since they sent out invitations Feb 3rd, do you know if they have sent all invitations out/all slots are filled? 

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

I understand your anxiety. I got an interview with Rutgers. Denied from UNCG. I am assuming I will be rejected from Virginia considering everyone seems to have heard from them.

But I am still waiting on Bay Path, Thomas Jefferson, Arcadia, University of South Carolina, and University of South Florida.

Thomas Jefferson has a really late deadline this year and said people will hear back by March 18th (so far away!!!)

I just applied to 3 jobs (for after graduation if I don't get in lol) in my stress, so at least it was productive? 

Oh wow! March 18th is super far away but with it being so new it makes sense! Augustana last year sent invites out around that time since they were a new program as well.

58 minutes ago, No1992 said:

Hey all, congratulations on interviews and being so strong with the waiting game.

Robyn94, I hope you do amazing on your interviews. I am also applying to Canadian schools and have applied to UBC- I am wondering, since they sent out invitations Feb 3rd, do you know if they have sent all invitations out/all slots are filled? 

Thanks!

Thank you so much @No1992! I just checked the sign-up page (it's an anonymous doodle poll), and it looks like 25 people have signed up so far. On UBC's website, it does say they usually invite between 25-30 applicants for interviews. It also says that the deadline to sign up for an interview time is tomorrow, so I don't know if they will still be sending out invitations. 

Edited by robyn94

I am not sure if this has been asked on this thread before, but are there any suggested readings I should be on the lookout for? I am currently reading "Ethical Dilemmas in Genetics and Genetic Counseling" and would love to read more from other sources prior to interviewing.

40 minutes ago, GCHopeful said:

I am not sure if this has been asked on this thread before, but are there any suggested readings I should be on the lookout for? I am currently reading "Ethical Dilemmas in Genetics and Genetic Counseling" and would love to read more from other sources prior to interviewing.

Hi GC Hopeful, I see on  that it says in your tagline/signature on the bottom that you got an interview at Stanford already - congrats!!!!!

do you mind me asking when you got the email??

8 minutes ago, TK1616 said:

11 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Aaaand rejected from OH State. That one hurts because I'm sure it's because of my rec not going in.

I am so sorry :( did they send an email or actually call??

Edited by Blizzard

8 minutes ago, TK1616 said:

Hi GC Hopeful, I see on  that it says in your tagline/signature on the bottom that you got an interview at Stanford already - congrats!!!!!

do you mind me asking when you got the email??

@GCHopefulSeconding this! Just checked my email in case I'd missed something

@adragonisnoslave Congrats on your interview offer! And I'm sorry to hear about OH State. To edit your signature, go to the top right of the screen to the drop down menu beside your name. Then select "Account Settings." Hope that helps! It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure it out haha. 

In the results tab it also shows that waitlists for interviews were sent out today by Stanford :( I didn't have full hope I'd get in, but still... Of course they could still send out more emails but I doubt it 

We should help each other out, whether you have been interviewed yet or not, and post some good practice interview questions! I will be doing a mock interview with 3 genetic counselors next week, and will provide those questions we practice with next week!!

19 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

@adragonisnoslave Congrats on your interview offer! And I'm sorry to hear about OH State. To edit your signature, go to the top right of the screen to the drop down menu beside your name. Then select "Account Settings." Hope that helps! It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure it out haha. 

Thank you!! Jeez.

16 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

In the results tab it also shows that waitlists for interviews were sent out today by Stanford :( I didn't have full hope I'd get in, but still... Of course they could still send out more emails but I doubt it 

I could post questions if I had any idea!! I'm exceptionally underprepared; I haven't had to do an interview in a professional or educational setting in yeeeears.

No one's heard from Oklahoma, yeah? Been scanning the thread and haven't seen anything.

27 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Jk, just got my rejection :(

22 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

No one's heard from Oklahoma, yeah? Been scanning the thread and haven't seen anything.

Nope, on their website it said 2-3 weeks after the application closed... which was last Sunday. Hopefully any day now!

7 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

@AspiringGC Sorry to hear that :( It hurts! 

4 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

Sorry to hear I was rejected there too. It was a long shot for me, but still doesn't feel any better!

Thanks guys! It does suck, but it was a reach for me as well. But, at least I heard something