Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

4 hours ago, Blizzard said:

Hey everyone quick question and I hope everyone can share their experience on this: How did you get your GC shadowing experience while working full time? Any advice? 

In Minnesota they have what's called the "genetic counselor experience program" where you submit an application saying why you want to shadow a genetic counselor, and then they find one who is willing to let you shadow and give them your contact information. The GC then contacts you and you work out a good time between the two of you to shadow.  I did that when I was in college when I had more free time.  Nowadays, I work in a medical center doing clinical trials and the PI I work under is a clinical geneticist so I have shadowed him in clinic a few times during my office days when I don't have a patient coming in. 

49 minutes ago, Frestyle said:

Hi everyone!

Has anyone applied to LIU and/or received an interview invite from them? I don't see much about LIU on this thread..

Thanks!

I applied to LIU and got an invitation to interview on 2/17. I'll be interviewing on 3/29.

Hey everyone! Is anyone here located in the SF Bay Area and interested in attending an informational meeting with a few GCs? I'm collaborating with El Camino Hospital to host an event but need about 4 more people to join before we can have it. Feel free to reply or send me a message if you're interested!

4 hours ago, HSGC2017 said:

Hey guys!

unfortunately it seems I will only be interviewing at Arkansas this round---but I'm still psyched. I am kind of stressed because I know the odds are against me but I still want to use the opportunity to the fullest. 

Any tips? Advice? Also can whoever who was emailing the PDF a few pages earlier forward me it: hssayeda@ncsu.edu

any and all help is needed and welcomed, thanks!

Just want to say that two of my classmates only had one interview and it clearly worked out for them!

1 hour ago, UTGC said:

Just want to say that two of my classmates only had one interview and it clearly worked out for them!

That would be amazing! But I wanna go in prepared in case it doesn't work out. 

Anyone else habitually talking to themselves lately---like mock interviewing themselves? 

Question.. For those of you who interview somewhere where it's really cold, do you wear a big jacket over your interview outfit and take it off once inside or just suck it up?

(I've lived in Southern California my whole life and never been to the east coast so don't make fun ;)

21 minutes ago, WBGC said:

Question.. For those of you who interview somewhere where it's really cold, do you wear a big jacket over your interview outfit and take it off once inside or just suck it up?

(I've lived in Southern California my whole life and never been to the east coast so don't make fun ;)

Ahahaha I grew up in Southern California...I googled the same thing when I first had to interview for jobs in Denver.  Most people will wear a big coat, then slip it off once they get inside.  And it's ok if the coat doesn't match the rest of your outfit as long as it is clean (a concern I had initially).  If there is a larger group, they'll likely have a place to stash your coat during the interview.  

4 hours ago, minja134 said:

Hey @Gorays39 did you also get an email about a virtual interview with the medical director? I almost glanced over it and would have deleted it, so just wanted to give you a heads up about that.

For ISU?  No, I didn't get an email about that...

2 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

For ISU?  No, I didn't get an email about that...

Yeah for ISU, sorry I forgot to mention the school. Maybe they're doing them in waves as they gave me a very small window of time, to pick a 15 min slot in only an hour time frame. I'm guessing the medical director is a rather busy guy between two universities.

So anxiously waiting to hear from Jefferson! It's my last school to hear from! Ahhhh... Well USF Also but it seems like they gave out their interviews already

Edited by GCFaith92

22 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

So anxiously waiting to hear from Jefferson! It's my last school to hear from! Ahhhh... Well USF Also but it seems like they gave out their interviews already

I too am anxiously waiting on Jefferson! Did you watch their webinar? If not I think they posted the recording on their website for anyone to check out.

15 minutes ago, minja134 said:

I too am anxiously waiting on Jefferson! Did you watch their webinar? If not I think they posted the recording on their website for anyone to check out.

Sadl,y I could not. I work crazy hours (Monday through Friday 8-8 :-( ) so I couldn't. I just get online when ever its slow at the office. I hope its up I am going to take a look, thank you for mentioning it!

3 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Sadl,y I could not. I work crazy hours (Monday through Friday 8-8 :-( ) so I couldn't. I just get online when ever its slow at the office. I hope its up I am going to take a look, thank you for mentioning it!

I know what you mean, I was lucky enough to get off work early that day to be able to watch it. It was pretty informative about their application process and their program. I think it should be available here: http://www.jefferson.edu/university/biomedical-sciences/admissions/information-sessions.html

They said in the webinar that they would start reviewing applications as they were complete before the deadline, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also they expect to have 2 interview days on March 31th and April 7th, but said they will add more if they need to based on the applicants. So here is to hoping!

3 minutes ago, minja134 said:

I know what you mean, I was lucky enough to get off work early that day to be able to watch it. It was pretty informative about their application process and their program. I think it should be available here: http://www.jefferson.edu/university/biomedical-sciences/admissions/information-sessions.html

They said in the webinar that they would start reviewing applications as they were complete before the deadline, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also they expect to have 2 interview days on March 31th and April 7th, but said they will add more if they need to based on the applicants. So here is to hoping!

They actually emailed me the other day saying they were reviewing my application. I see the webinar, going to watch it when I eat lunch! Thanks so much! I live about 15 minutes from Jefferson, in South Jersey right outside of Philadelphia and my sister attended Jefferson, so I am hoping to at least get an interview there! Fingers crossed for us both!

34 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

They actually emailed me the other day saying they were reviewing my application. I see the webinar, going to watch it when I eat lunch! Thanks so much! I live about 15 minutes from Jefferson, in South Jersey right outside of Philadelphia and my sister attended Jefferson, so I am hoping to at least get an interview there! Fingers crossed for us both!

I did get the email about it being complete and them reviewing it on March 2nd, but I just figured it was an auto-message since I chose to have 4 references and at that point they only received 3 of them, so I figured their system just emailed when they got all required components even if they didn't necessarily have everything.