Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Oh that's interesting - I wrote that I wanted to confirm and accept my waitlist offer and asked my position on the list. She just said that the list is fluid and should be moving and she'll let me know as soon as they have any info... 

8 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

Oh that's interesting - I wrote that I wanted to confirm and accept my waitlist offer and asked my position on the list. She just said that the list is fluid and should be moving and she'll let me know as soon as they have any info... 

@GCFaith92 I got a similar response from them saying they'll let me know once they know more.

I'm so stressed out right now.  I don't want to make the wrong decision.  Before going into today I had USF as my top choice.  Tuition is less than 20k and it'd let me be close to my family and friends in Florida.  Being part of the first class would be a really unique experience as well.  And they're only taking four people and I was one of the four that they initially wanted for their inaugural class.  That kind of feels like a big deal to me too and makes me think they see more in me than the other programs do.  I feel like I should accept the offer, but that just seems so finalized.  Emory told me I'm high on the waitlist and would most likely receive an offer, and I really liked both Emory and UCI.  I've never lived in Georgia or California so it would be a new adventure that I wouldn't get to experience by staying in Florida.  They are also more established programs.  

Edited by Ellaie

@Ellaie I can totally relate to what you are saying about the comfort of staying near home vs moving to a new state. I went into this set on moving out of California to experience something new! But now that the reality of it is in front of me it seems really inconvenient and kind of scary! It's really tough. 

2 minutes ago, WBGC said:

@Ellaie I can totally relate to what you are saying about the comfort of staying near home vs moving to a new state. I went into this set on moving out of California to experience something new! But now that the reality of it is in front of me it seems really inconvenient and kind of scary! It's really tough. 

I live in Chicago right now because I moved here when I didn't get into school last year to experience the city life for a year.  Moving back to Florida would put me back near my family, and I have missed them the last year.

It's a hard decision, and I keep worrying about making the wrong one.  But, I guess there isn't necessarily a wrong choice here.  Every program still gives you the education to become a genetic counselor.  I'm trying to keep that in perspective and it helps a little.

@Gadgette so true! And I probably will come back.. Giving me all the more reason to experience a new place before settling. But easier said then done.. Thinking of having to pay $400/500 to visit home each time. It's intimidating. Thanks for the input though!!

On 3/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, ebfw15 said:

I applied to LIU and got an invitation to interview on 2/17. I'll be interviewing on 3/29.

Have you heard back from them yet today?!

@WBGC, totally fair. I also was going the opposite in cost. My husband and I pay about $300 a month less for our two bedroom apartment here than I paid for a room in a place with roommates in California. Luckily our parents all like to travel, but even so we don't see them that often.

@Gorays39, did you end up emailing them? I heard from VCU this morning (email for waitlist), but still haven't gotten anything from UAMS. Not sure what etiquette is about emailing on Match Day. Blah. 

1 minute ago, Gadgette said:

@WBGC, totally fair. I also was going the opposite in cost. My husband and I pay about $300 a month less for our two bedroom apartment here than I paid for a room in a place with roommates in California. Luckily our parents all like to travel, but even so we don't see them that often.

@Gorays39, did you end up emailing them? I heard from VCU this morning (email for waitlist), but still haven't gotten anything from UAMS. Not sure what etiquette is about emailing on Match Day. Blah. 

I called them and left a message. Nothing via phone. I'm not too concerned seeing as I'll likely decline an offer from there, but I just wanted to know.

Did Pitt tell you that you were high on the waitlist? They told me that, but there are like 4 people just on this forum that have been waitlisted there.

@Ellaie I might be biased here since I really want your spot at USF (lol) - but I moved to London for my first Master's degree, for a year, and it was the best year of my life. My heart aches to be there every day. If I wasn't in debt from that move, I would have probably considered applying to Cali or one of the schools in Canada. But if you have the $$ and the opportunity, the program is less than two years - it's not too long to be away. And you could always try to get rotations in Florida. Just my input. =)

Also - I've been waitlisted at all 3 schools - SLC, Rutgers, and USF. Idk how I'm going to get through these next two days. My boyfriend said to save my tears for Wednesday, if need be -_-

Edited by KeepSwimming2017

5 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

I called them and left a message. Nothing via phone. I'm not too concerned seeing as I'll likely decline an offer from there, but I just wanted to know.

Did Pitt tell you that you were high on the waitlist? They told me that, but there are like 4 people just on this forum that have been waitlisted there.

UAMS just emailed. I'm on the waitlist, but they have 1 more spot and more than 1 person ahead of me, so they doubt I'll get it.

Pitt said I was high on the waitlist and said that they usually get to where I am on there. So I'm still hopeful! Just eager and anxious as well. They do also have a larger class. I think they said they'd try to take 12 this year at the interview.

1 minute ago, Gadgette said:

UAMS just emailed. I'm on the waitlist, but they have 1 more spot and more than 1 person ahead of me, so they doubt I'll get it.

Pitt said I was high on the waitlist and said that they usually get to where I am on there. So I'm still hopeful! Just eager and anxious as well. They do also have a larger class. I think they said they'd try to take 12 this year at the interview.

They said the same thing to me! It just seems that everyone loves Pitt, so I wonder how many people would turn down their spot.

Still nada from my lone school, Augustana... I know the offer calls are out and people have received wait list emails so at this point I'm ready to take it as a rejection and look to next year...

1 minute ago, AMGC said:

Has anyone gotten in off a waitlist yet?

I think that usually happens on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the program directors I spoke to. Michigan actually called me a few minutes ago saying there was no movement yet, but that they'd call me tomorrow morning.