Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

2 hours ago, slaybackc said:

You're definitely still okay for the other schools. Most don't send offers until mid February so there's still plenty of time ?

Congrats on your interview so far!

Thanks! I love your signature idea to keep track of schools and timelines, do you mind if I steal it?

Just got an email that LIU Post is reviewing my application. Did anyone else apply there? I haven't read much about it on here and have no idea when they send out interview invitations. 

Wow this thread is moving fast today! I'm keeping up with your news but I can't post a ton because I'm currently driving to Atlanta to interview at Emory tomorrow. Congratulations to everyone receiving interview invitations!

Thank you to those who've offered advice on interviews - I'm so nervous and any information about what to expect helps.

I know there are several other people interviewing at Brandeis - have you got a date yet? I'll be there March 15th!

1 hour ago, alalav said:

Stanford has sent out interview invites for this cycle already? I must have missed that, ahhh!

I meant last year! Sorry Stanford hasn't yet! Should be sending within the next week! Sorry to freak you out

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

Does anyone have an opinion on if it's a bad idea to call schools and ask them when they'll be sending the next batch? I haven't heard anything from Cincinnati or Ohio State, and I know from the results tab Cincinnati has sent at least 2-3. Ohio State said prospective applicants would be notified by the end of January. January is...now over. But also in the results tab, it looks like only one person has mentioned Ohio state contacting them yet? I heard in December that those of us who turned our stuff in before the fellowship deadline would hear soonest, but I haven't. I'm a little paranoid to contact either of them for fear it will reflect negatively on me. 

My days at work this week consist of keeping this tab in my browser perpetually during the day, and trying to pass time at night. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern. 

I also, applied to Ohio State and Cincinnati. Cincinnati said that they wouldn't send emails until the 1st or 2nd week of Feb. I think Cincinnati might not start sending out emails until next week.  I have no idea about Ohio State though, I was thinking maybe they would start this week, however I don't know their phone call process. I would think it would take a couple days though. It's very nerve wracking with all the anticipation. Speaking of Ohio State do they call you regardless of an interview or not, or do you get an email if your rejected? I also, saw in the results for Indiana University you get a rejection letter in the mail, which is scary. 

Edited by JN212

11 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I thought that was a profile setting that I just never figured out how to use! :lol:

Haha nope just go into your profile and create a signature! 
I think it's super nice for everyone to be able to see (at least on a laptop) where people have applied and gotten interviews/rejections without having to go to the results tab every time :)

Plus you can see if you have any competition (or possible future classmates) ;) 

43 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I thought that was a profile setting that I just never figured out how to use! :lol:

It's located under "account settings" in the drop down at the top of the page instead of your profile itself.

1 hour ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Wow this thread is moving fast today! I'm keeping up with your news but I can't post a ton because I'm currently driving to Atlanta to interview at Emory tomorrow. Congratulations to everyone receiving interview invitations!

Thank you to those who've offered advice on interviews - I'm so nervous and any information about what to expect helps.

I know there are several other people interviewing at Brandeis - have you got a date yet? I'll be there March 15th!

Good luck on your interview! :)

1 hour ago, slaybackc said:

I meant last year! Sorry Stanford hasn't yet! Should be sending within the next week! Sorry to freak you out

Thanks for clarifying! I was definitely freaking out a tad haha. I am surprised we haven't heard yet though, based on last year's already being released!

Good luck at Emory! I'm interviewing at Brandeis on the 29th! Such an exciting, yet nerve racking time! 

Good luck at Emory!!  When I was moving to Chicago, I stopped by their campus and talked to some of the staff and sat in on a few classes.  They're all extremely nice there!  The students were even super helpful and helped to put me in contact with GC's they knew for me to shadow.  I know it's hard not to be nervous, but you're going to do great!

Also, thank you everyone who gave me advice on SLC.  I think I'm going to try to make it to the interview.  The biggest issue is I'm not telling my job that I'm going to graduate school yet, so it's difficult coming up with excuses for needing so many days off.  I'll find a way to make it work.  

3 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

Also, thank you everyone who gave me advice on SLC.  I think I'm going to try to make it to the interview.  The biggest issue is I'm not telling my job that I'm going to graduate school yet, so it's difficult coming up with excuses for needing so many days off.  I'll find a way to make it work.  

Why do you have to lie? Would there be repercussions if they found out? However, some good excuses would be sick days, some weddings, sudden sick relative that you want to spend time with doesn't hurt (kind of harsh, but whatever works?), doctor's appointments?  

2 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Why do you have to lie? Would there be repercussions if they found out? However, some good excuses would be sick days, some weddings, sudden sick relative that you want to spend time with doesn't hurt (kind of harsh, but whatever works?), doctor's appointments?  

I have two jobs right now.  They're both just serving jobs, but one of them I actually have my first day Friday.  I guess I just feel bad starting a new job and giving them the impression during the interview that I'd be sticking around for a while and then admitting that I actually deceived them and plan on leaving in August.  It was a difficult situation because I wanted to find a second job, and no one would have hired me if they knew I was going to be leaving in a few months.  I did mention during the interview that I was considering graduate school because they know I have my Bachelors because I didn't want it to be a total shock when I told them I was leaving, but even then I didn't present it as a sure thing.  

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread also. I'm also super nervous!

My test scores are pretty good and I've been working in genetic labs classifying variants for the last three years with tons of GC exposure. I have very little advocacy experience, though, which makes me nervous, and almost no clinical shadowing. I've been a youth counselor with a church youth group for about a year, but I have no idea if they'll think that's patient-oriented enough. Is anyone else using something like that for the advocacy??

I only applied to one school (Utah) because I wouldn't be able to relocate this fall. If I don't get in, I'll be able to apply to more schools next year!

2 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

I have two jobs right now.  They're both just serving jobs, but one of them I actually have my first day Friday.  I guess I just feel bad starting a new job and giving them the impression during the interview that I'd be sticking around for a while and then admitting that I actually deceived them and plan on leaving in August.  It was a difficult situation because I wanted to find a second job, and no one would have hired me if they knew I was going to be leaving in a few months.  I did mention during the interview that I was considering graduate school because they know I have my Bachelors because I didn't want it to be a total shock when I told them I was leaving, but even then I didn't present it as a sure thing.  

It's only February, spending 6 months at a serving job is still pretty long. I understand not wanting to talk about it since it isn't a sure thing right now. But, I'm sure they understand you wanting to follow your dreams. Just give them a good 6 months and I wouldn't try to feel so bad about it. 

7 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

It's only February, spending 6 months at a serving job is still pretty long. I understand not wanting to talk about it since it isn't a sure thing right now. But, I'm sure they understand you wanting to follow your dreams. Just give them a good 6 months and I wouldn't try to feel so bad about it. 

My first interviews aren't until March, so maybe by that time I'll feel a little more comfortable telling them.  I'm good at my job, so I know I'll be good for the restaurant.  I just wish the timing of things had worked out a little better.  

17 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

Don't feel bad. It's a serving job, you're not under 2 year contract with a government office. Frankly, I think it would be more shocking if you lied to them and told them you were "sick" all these days, and then suddenly were like "surprise! i leave for grad school in a couple weeks!" It is okay to start a new job with pre-existing plans :) When I started the job I'm at, I had previously made plans to go see my best friend for a long weekend about a month after I started. I wasn't going to scrap a trip I'd planned for six months and a plane ticket i'd paid for, just because of a job I'd been at a few weeks. I just told my boss I'd had those plans before I was hired, and it worked out just fine. 

Remember: These serving jobs are temporary. Grad school will lead to a career for the rest of your life ;)

Hey Guys. Would any of you mind telling me how you formatted you personal statement? I know many schools had specific questions to be answered, but it's hard to not restate aspects of your resume (which they tell you not to do) when you are told you should talk about shadowing experiences. I had many people review my personal statement but I could still use some guidance considering I am putting in 1 more application and Incase I reapply next year. Hearing what other students did, especially those of you who are getting interviews, would be so much appreciated! Thanks!

4 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Hey Guys. Would any of you mind telling me how you formatted you personal statement? I know many schools had specific questions to be answered, but it's hard to not restate aspects of your resume (which they tell you not to do) when you are told you should talk about shadowing experiences. I had many people review my personal statement but I could still use some guidance considering I am putting in 1 more application and Incase I reapply next year. Hearing what other students did, especially those of you who are getting interviews, would be so much appreciated! Thanks!

My personal statement had a lot of the same aspects of my resume, but I added more details to it.  For example, I discussed my advocacy experience in my statement, which was listed on my resume; but I told a specific example from my advocacy experience and how that case had affected me and made me want to be a genetic counselor.  My grades weren't very good my first couple years, so I added a paragraph explaining that and turning it into a positive by discussing everything I had learned from that experience.  I finished the statement by talking about why I wanted to go to the specific school that I was applying to.  So the format of my statement was opener, paragraph about school, paragraph about volunteering, paragraph about advocacy, paragraph about shadowing, and then conclusion discussing the specific school and my career goals.

17 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Mine went somewhat chronological, depending on the school. I talked about how I'm a first generation college graduate, how I had to work multiple jobs to pay for my undergrad, etc. Then I talked about how I became interested in GC and my advocacy experience before moving on to what I want to do in the future.

25 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

When it comes to personal statements they tend to put the part about not restating your resume for the reason of just not simply restating it as I did this, this, and this. It is good to mention things that are in your resume but elaborate on them and how you felt this experience prepared you or interested you in genetic counseling. For example you may list a volunteer experience on your resume, but in your personal statement you would go into detail how that experience has made you grow as a person, or helped you realize how to cope with emotionally difficult situations, or any way it links to your desire to be a genetic counselor. With some advice from last year I even went as far as summarizing each paragraph with how the experience I just talked about applied to genetic counseling (whether it was interest, personal growth, skills necessary, etc.). I think having concluding sentences like this really help hit your point home even if you already mentioned the characteristics in your paragraph.

Edited by minja134
a word

Thank you all so so much for your responses! I certainly elaborated on 2 specific shadowing experiences, however I think it was to "Dry" if that makes any sense, like it wasn't so exciting. I will certainly be making another edit on this statement before submitting my last application. I think I will add as well how I am a first generation college graduate and how I took a year off in order to gain experience in knowing how competitive the field is and most importantly to save 2 years worth of rent and bills so that I do not have to live off of loans. Saving money was important to me and not getting in any extra debt, as I grew up with not much money and at my families lowest point I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with my mom and 2 sisters. I think my hardships has certainly motivated me to succeed and this is something I should talk about in my statement. I also debating discussing a program called" AVID". I was the first every south jersey class to be in AVID (we were a trial). It was a class meant for student not working to their abilities who needed extra guidance and tools, yet had potential to be successful students. I not only stuck with the program (it started when I was in 7th grade) but I also became the student representative of the program and had to deliver a number of speeches to the board of education on why they should continue to fund this program. Despite me being young when this all began, this program truly impacted how I am as a student and a person today. It gave me motivation and self confidence to be successful. On top of that I have so much pride in this program that I am working with a pediatric nurse practitioner to start a similar program for children in our area. I believe these are all things I should discuss that may make me stand out in my personal statement, rather than just "i love genetic counseling, and I no it from shadowing" hhaah. I think I need to discuss who I am and how I became so motivated and hard working and than lead into how my experiences verified my belief that this is the correct field for me. I just was hesistant to discuss the AVID program as it began in 7th grade...