History 2010

Sparky

It's irresistible for us historians to try and construct/influence the production of the history in our own time, but its doubtful too many monks sat in their cloisters, wondering why they had the poor luck to live in "the dark ages".

Oh yes. Still, fun to speculate. My professor declared last year that the history field is *ready* to study thr 1980s. She affirmed her declaration that we need to let 20-30 years to pass before we can evaluate the decade more objectively.

If someone were to ask me when we'd be able to study this past decade, I'll probably still be worked up at the thought of W's reign and how much he destroyed America financial-, image-, and military-wise. And Obama's shift of focus on American education towards... *ahem* the hard sciences and math in order to make our next generation (the ones we'll be teaching, unfortunately) less stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second PhD application season. Applied to seven schools in American History. I work on US Foreign Policy in Latin America, especially intervention, but with an eye toward Latin American documents.

Yesterday, I had a professor from Duke scramble to make an interview with me in NYC and it went rather well, sorta made my whole weekend.

Although it's pretty unlikely that GradCafe attracts trolls...but we can pretend to assure ourselves that this post was, um, a troll <_<

@ LifeIsGood in response to your question

Congratulations! How did the interview come about? Did the prof contact you?

I cant speak for eponymous but I would imagine that the "informal interview" was not initiated by the prof. I could be wrong, but speaking as someone who has had informal meetings with a few history profs at Duke, it's my impression that "interviews" are not really a part of their formal admissions process. At least not at this point in the cycle. I think it bodes well but is by no means something that others should be worried about if they haven't had/requested one. Also, I think that posting this "informal interview" on the results board is both misleading and mean spirited. I'm not accusing you of doing this intentionally, it's just that the "informal interview" is not necessarily an indication of anything other than the willingness of the prof to meet with you. My two cents, just trying to calm some nerves.

@ LifeIsGood in response to your question

I cant speak for eponymous but I would imagine that the "informal interview" was not initiated by the prof. I could be wrong, but speaking as someone who has had informal meetings with a few history profs at Duke, it's my impression that "interviews" are not really a part of their formal admissions process. At least not at this point in the cycle. I think it bodes well but is by no means something that others should be worried about if they haven't had/requested one. Also, I think that posting this "informal interview" on the results board is both misleading and mean spirited. I'm not accusing you of doing this intentionally, it's just that the "informal interview" is not necessarily an indication of anything other than the willingness of the prof to meet with you. My two cents, just trying to calm some nerves.

I'm going to agree with crossmyfingers. I had an informal meeting of the type mentioned with a professor of history at Yale a month or so ago, but it was clearly unrelated to admission and was mainly informational. The only reason he met with me is because one of my Professors used to know the Yale prof when my prof was a graduate student at Yale. While I learned valuable stuff, I think pretty much anyone could set up a similar meeting and i'm not fooling myself that it's going to get me in.

I'm going to agree with crossmyfingers. I had an informal meeting of the type mentioned with a professor of history at Yale a month or so ago, but it was clearly unrelated to admission and was mainly informational. The only reason he met with me is because one of my Professors used to know the Yale prof when my prof was a graduate student at Yale. While I learned valuable stuff, I think pretty much anyone could set up a similar meeting and i'm not fooling myself that it's going to get me in.

Right. I do agree. I treat these "informal" interviews as a chance for me to really talk with the professors more than I can talk in my SOP and getting a feel of what the department's like and how to adjust my SOP. Also, I used professors' reactions to gauge how well my writing sample might be received (considering it's an important element).

Your comment does still make me question one of the professors whom I talked to put out on me- he wanted to know about all the people I'd work with if I stayed at my current university. I had "WTF... I came to talk to you about YOUR school" all over my mind... Only time will tell what his true intentions were with these questions.

I see there is some activity on the Results page. It looks like a couple people heard some potentially good news from Wisconsin.

WTF. A week earlier than last year *bites nails* Not that I didn't apply to Wisconsin but it can't mean that others are going to follow suit by positing decisions earlier.

I ran into one of my thesis readers today with his little twins and I was just glad that one of the twins got restless from waiting so I didn't have to say more about how nervous and impatient I was already! He thinks decisions won't be around until March... well, that's probably based on HIS department (English).

PS: Starting Monday, I am going to leave my Blackberry in my apartment while I'm in class. I need to be in total concentration on Deutsch until I'm out of class at 2. I really do like my life without my Blackberry. Seriously.

Edited by ticklemepink

/sigh

The history programs I'm applying to have both said they won't start looking at apps until *March*. ::pulls out hair:: Thank goodness for religion, I guess. (Um...thank God for God?)

I am completely blindsided....I've been checking University of Wisconsin's page for the heck of it, since it seems to be one of the only ones that updates.

The site has been down most of the day, and then when I get in...recommended for admission.

I was not prepared to hear anything this soon. I don't even want to tell anyone yet in case I'm wrong.

What the.....? There goes my masochistic waiting game, I guess.

The site has been down most of the day, and then when I get in...recommended for admission.

I was not prepared to hear anything this soon. I don't even want to tell anyone yet in case I'm wrong.

What the.....? There goes my masochistic waiting game, I guess.

Haha.. Eh, congrats anyway? :)

Haha.. Eh, congrats anyway? :)

Thank you so much. I'm still waiting for TEN more answers, but at least I know that I won't be rejected across the board. Does this mean every other school is making decisions early? This is totally unexpected.

Doesn't seem too unusually early for Madison... last year, the first website notifications were February 3rd and the first phone notification was January 22nd. Anyway, congratulations to all admitted and basically-admitted future academics! Didn't apply to Wisconsin, but it's a really awesome program with good placement etc.