History 2010

Sparky

Does anyone know the procedure as far as notifying recommenders of acceptances? I know it is expected to tell them what happens, but if you are applying to a whole bunch of schools, would I tell them I got accepted to one place so far? Wait until more things happen? I am so incredibly awkward with these things.

(My apologies for the insensitive question when most schools have not even done acceptances yet. I just don't want to make some sort of social error :unsure: )

I heard today (I'm currently at Berkeley) and I remember how awful the waiting was last year when the notification schedule seemed so opaque.

Thanks for that. I have a strange feeling these next two months are going to be hard on my psyche. I'm very patient and very, very pessimistic. Bad combination. To top all that, my birthday falls right in the middle of February. It's going to be awesome...

Does anyone know the procedure as far as notifying recommenders of acceptances? I know it is expected to tell them what happens, but if you are applying to a whole bunch of schools, would I tell them I got accepted to one place so far? Wait until more things happen? I am so incredibly awkward with these things.

(My apologies for the insensitive question when most schools have not even done acceptances yet. I just don't want to make some sort of social error :unsure: )

I let my recommenders know when I'd heard from all schools, and was trying to decide where to go since they had good advice to offer. Of course if you're in class with one of them or something go ahead and tell!

LifeIsGood-- I posted the admit for US History at UNC. I do c19.

AmHist, thanks for clearing up the mystery. Congratulations! Mind giving a little more info? Was the email from the DGS or your potential advisor?

Edited by LifeIsGood

AmHist, thanks for clearing up the mystery. Congratulations! Mind giving a little more info? Was the email from the DGS or your potential advisor?

I'd like to know which particular segment of the 19th century you are studying, just to know whether or not I should give up hope on UNC. Thank you friend.

Well, my recommender, my thesis advisor, is on sabbatical and really doesn't have any desire to see my pretty face for a while. She's also involved in the admissions process for our university so I think it's important for me to wait for my decision from the University before I break any news to anyone in the department. That includes Recommender #2.

Recommender #3, my undergrad thesis advisor, well, I'm hoping to have SOME news on hand when I go to my parents' house for the break. If I have nothing, then I won't visit her, and just call her when I have all the news.

Tell them however you want to!

LifeIsGood-- I posted the admit for US History at UNC. I do c19.

AmHist2010, I too am interested in what 19th century subject you are focusing on. Did you get a phone call from a potential advisor like rockchalk? I got a phone call, but the prof said that it was a very competitive year, and I haven't gotten an email yet, and, yeah I feel like I'm going to throw up from the anticipation.

Edited by jessabee

AmHist2010, I too am interested in what 19th century subject you are focusing on. Did you get a phone call from a potential advisor like rockchalk? I got a phone call, but the prof said that it was a very competitive year, and I haven't gotten an email yet, and, yeah I feel like I'm going to throw up from the anticipation.

I do antebellum cultural [not Civil War for those interested]. I received a call a couple weeks ago gauging my interest and asking more about my application. Then I received an email from the DGS yesterday with an admissions offer.

Thanks for that. I have a strange feeling these next two months are going to be hard on my psyche. I'm very patient and very, very pessimistic. Bad combination. To top all that, my birthday falls right in the middle of February. It's going to be awesome...

I have the same, ominous feeling. Personally, I'm going to the bar everytime I hear back from a school--whether it's in the affirmative, or negative.

Re: Harvard Admissions

I thought all PhD admits had to do the MA at Harvard as well. I was told this via email by a POI back in November. So the recent post on the results search confused me. Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Harvard Admissions

I thought all PhD admits had to do the MA at Harvard as well. I was told this via email by a POI back in November. So the recent post on the results search confused me. Any thoughts anyone?

well, Harvard has a terminal MA as well. if a student lacks something, like sufficient language prep etc that Harvard wants in a PHD candidate, they can admit and even fund that student for an MA as a trial. Then, if they do well enough, they can become PHD students. Brandeis does that too, as does Yale. It's a good way for them not to gamble by promising 5 years of support to a student who isn't fully proven, but still to give a kid a chance who seems to have great potential.

My status hasn't changed on the UW website. It still says that my application is under review, and a decision is pending. I'm guessing that's not a good sign. sad.gif

You and me both buddy. Hey, at least you got 12 schools on the docket though! I'm rethinking the advice I received to on only applying to 6-7. Bit less wiggle room...

well, Harvard has a terminal MA as well. if a student lacks something, like sufficient language prep etc that Harvard wants in a PHD candidate, they can admit and even fund that student for an MA as a trial. Then, if they do well enough, they can become PHD students. Brandeis does that too, as does Yale. It's a good way for them not to gamble by promising 5 years of support to a student who isn't fully proven, but still to give a kid a chance who seems to have great potential.

From the personal experience of a good friend---yes, Harvard History PhDs must do the MA.