History 2010

Sparky

RockEater,

I'm also doing 20th century American. Hopefully we'll find out soon!

Nice; what's your topic of interest? Mine is the intersection of domestic policy and politics.

Where are you applying?

Also, good news from a couple days ago: Brandeis emailed me, saying that they didn't have one of my LORs. It's unusual, because the professor concerned is usually the first to get the letters in, so I assume the interwebs had a massive fail. Why is this good news? Because if they weren't considering me, they wouldn't bother emailing me. So that got me through the weekend!

So who got the email from Virginia? What is a POC?

I do not know who got the email. But I would think POC would stand for point of contact, or maybe professor of contact (which is nearly the same thing though not necessarily).

Edited by Kai210

I can't believe Virginia might take three more weeks!

Are you kidding? 4/5 of my schools are "early or mid-March." :angry: (And looking at last year's results, #5 could very well be March as well. /sigh)

most of the schools won't reply until march. don't spend all of february obsessively checking this website like i did. it's not worth it. honestly, truly, bottom of my heart sincerity: log off this site until march 1. speaking from experience here...

wisconsin went out early, yes, but there are no funding offers attached to that, which really means they haven't completed the admissions process. if you get into wisconsin and you're unfunded, you shouldn't go. you won't pay off that sort of debt with a job as a professor. so yes, one big school (and a few trickles from other big schools) has sent out notifications, but that does not guarantee other schools are going to follow suit. so really... take a break from the obsessing.

most of the schools won't reply until march. don't spend all of february obsessively checking this website like i did. it's not worth it. honestly, truly, bottom of my heart sincerity: log off this site until march 1. speaking from experience here...

wisconsin went out early, yes, but there are no funding offers attached to that, which really means they haven't completed the admissions process. if you get into wisconsin and you're unfunded, you shouldn't go. you won't pay off that sort of debt with a job as a professor. so yes, one big school (and a few trickles from other big schools) has sent out notifications, but that does not guarantee other schools are going to follow suit. so really... take a break from the obsessing.

i don't know, i think a lot of schools do usually send out acceptances beginning around the first week of february and going through the month (though some do continue into march). take a look at last yr's results board

I'm expecting to maybe hear back from one school in February (Yale), but if I don't hear back from them that early I will just hope it means that I'm still in the running and am not facing outright rejection. Every other place I have applied to seems to release info starting in March, maybe even in late March. I know that, realistically, I'm not going to have much peace of mind about this for at least two months, but some part of my mind keeps thinking that hey, maybe they'll just randomly decide to release decisions much earlier this year. Irrationality seems to be a major symptom of this whole process.

i don't know, i think a lot of schools do usually send out acceptances beginning around the first week of february and going through the month (though some do continue into march). take a look at last yr's results board

I agree...it seems like the admits to the top programs hear in early or mid-February, and then the rejections come late February to early March. I feel like if I don't hear anything by about the 15th of February, that would be a good reason to worry.

I agree...it seems like the admits to the top programs hear in early or mid-February, and then the rejections come late February to early March. I feel like if I don't hear anything by about the 15th of February, that would be a good reason to worry.

Although if more schools this year are doing the "only admit as many people as we can fund, and when we hear whether they're coming, we'll pull from our waitlist" dance, late news might not be bad news... :rolleyes:

I just got some news regarding UCLA history, so I signed up to share with interested parties. I received an email yesterday from my current advisor (also in the UC system, if that means anything to you), that he was contacted by a prof at UCLA regarding my application. They are looking at it "very seriously," and I have been added to their short-list. There won't be any final decisions made for about two more weeks or so, at any rate. The kicker though: it seems as if no incoming students will be funded during their first year by the department.

I am applying in the Ancient History field, so while its nice to have presumably gotten past the initial cuts (considering they take very few applicants in Ancient History), its rather disappointing to know that if I do get in I probably won't be able to go without any kind of funding package.

I too, would like to know about the Emory posting...and the one from UVA as well...anybody???

Me three! Don't be a lurker, come out who ever you are...

I just got some news regarding UCLA history, so I signed up to share with interested parties. I received an email yesterday from my current advisor (also in the UC system, if that means anything to you), that he was contacted by a prof at UCLA regarding my application. They are looking at it "very seriously," and I have been added to their short-list. There won't be any final decisions made for about two more weeks or so, at any rate. The kicker though: it seems as if no incoming students will be funded during their first year by the department.

I am applying in the Ancient History field, so while its nice to have presumably gotten past the initial cuts (considering they take very few applicants in Ancient History), its rather disappointing to know that if I do get in I probably won't be able to go without any kind of funding package.

Do you happen to know whether that means no-one will be funded during their first year at all, or will graduate-school fellowships (which have always been hard to get, as I understand it) still be available?

As far as I can tell (which isn't very far), this just concerns the department itself; however the information I received was not formal, so it is best to treat it as little better than speculation at this point, I should think.