History 2010

Sparky

Yeah, congratulations to all of you admitted to UW! I've spent the past four years in the history department (and campus in general). If you've got any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer.

Again, congratulations, and On, Wisconsin!

Haha.. Eh, congrats anyway? smile.gif

I Second that...I wonder what this means for those who have applications "still under review..." at UW--such as me. Either they haven't posted rejections yet, or admissions are rolling in rounds? I'm leaning towards the former.dry.gif Anyone have any insight on this matter?

Congrats to the three that have made the cut!

-Grant

I Second that...I wonder what this means for those who have applications "still under review..." at UW--such as me. Either they haven't posted rejections yet, or admissions are rolling in rounds? I'm leaning towards the former.dry.gif Anyone have any insight on this matter?

Congrats to the three that have made the cut!

-Grant

I have no credible insight, but after looking through all the results from last year, it did seem like some of UW's acceptances went out a week or so later than others.

Besides, it seems like they accept a lot more students in general than a lot of other history programs, so I would expect several more acceptances on this board at least. They are also bizarre because they are one of the few top departments that does not guarantee funding, so who knows what kind of crazy system they have for picking acceptances?

I also received the "Your department has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates." message. I can confirm that early submission was not a factor because I submitted my application at midnight on Nov. 31st.

Wow, 5 acceptances to Madison so far. Does this seem like a lot to anyone else?

Well, I believe it said on the website that they accept like 100 out of 450 applications, knowing that the yield will be substantially lower (30 or so) due to the dicey funding. I actually felt that UW was one of my better chances for acceptance, based on that percentage.

That being said, what I am wondering is if there is one large group of Wisconsin admits that went out yesterday in several disciplines because they are the ones who are nominated for University fellowships (seemingly the only way to get good funding there?) If schools are facing budget troubles (and what school isn't), then the money factor may need more time to be discussed than the admissions themselves.

Agreed. Had a friend who was accepted at UW-Madison last year. They didn't give her any information about funding until March or so. I thought about applying there...

And yes, they do run on the old way of funding: If your application looks good, we'll accept you. Then we'll rank our applicants and get the top people funded. If you don't get funding and still want to come on your dime, you're welcome to. Michigan used to go this until things got too crazy among its graduate students for funding.

That's why I preferred applying to programs where acceptance = guaranteed funding. So UW was crossed off early.

Agreed. Had a friend who was accepted at UW-Madison last year. They didn't give her any information about funding until March or so. I thought about applying there...

And yes, they do run on the old way of funding: If your application looks good, we'll accept you. Then we'll rank our applicants and get the top people funded. If you don't get funding and still want to come on your dime, you're welcome to. Michigan used to go this until things got too crazy among its graduate students for funding.

That's why I preferred applying to programs where acceptance = guaranteed funding. So UW was crossed off early.

Yeah, I almost did not apply, either, except there was an extraordinarily good advisor fit at UW. It also seems like state schools give a lot of money for good GRE scores for some reason, which is actually one of my strongest points, so I was hoping they might cough up some funding for me. It stinks to have the first acceptance be so early and so unexpected, because now I feel like things should be happening...and they are still not!

However, an acceptance means I probably actually have to do this whole PhD thing, YIKES. I was halfway hoping I might get rejected by everyone so that I could go insane in a totally unprecedented manner.

Chill--I wouldn't be nervous. I was under the impression when I was submitting applications that University of Wisconsin admission decisions come back relatively early (I may have read something to that effect somewhere on their web-site). Of course, nominal acceptance is only part of the process at Wisconsin--there's an additional funding round for fellowships (as I understand it).

I'm actually (at least for now) relying on grad cafe results page to let me know if I should check any of my schools' sites for decisions. I have too many to check everyday. I wouldn't have known about UW-Madison if I hadn't seen people on here talking about it.

I am just wondering if Yale will make decisions earlier this year. Previously, their deadline for submission was 1 Jan, but this year, they moved it up to 15 December. Hmm...

Oh, jeez, I didn't even think about that. I've been assuming we'd hear in the second week of February.

I actually wish that Wisconsin had not come up so early, if other schools are not going to follow suit. I was prepared to wait, but now I'm not, and tomorrow is the first day of my classes, and I just can't bring myself to care at the moment.

Are we sure there isn't a computer virus over at UW? How can everyone be accepted, and this early? Their website was acting funny all weekend....!

I actually wish that Wisconsin had not come up so early, if other schools are not going to follow suit. I was prepared to wait, but now I'm not, and tomorrow is the first day of my classes, and I just can't bring myself to care at the moment.

Are we sure there isn't a computer virus over at UW? How can everyone be accepted, and this early? Their website was acting funny all weekend....!

I see my thesis advisor tomorrow. He's on the admissions committee. I'll get some clarifications if I can.