History 2010

Sparky

As far as I can tell (which isn't very far), this just concerns the department itself; however the information I received was not formal, so it is best to treat it as little better than speculation at this point, I should think.

I'm not very hopeful about getting a funded position at UCLA, given the financial situation of the UC system.

...and the cuts aren't over yet, from what i hear. i'd advise anyone seriously considering UC schools to be very, very wary

It depends on the UC - Berkeley's department has it's own endowment, for example, so they're not cutting cohorts or stipends or faculty. But UCLA has zero money. It's worth asking faculty you're in touch with about the situation.

Yes, I saw that one Duke admit from a few days ago - but I am assuming that the poster was referring to something more recent than that? And he said admitS, so just wondering....as you can tell, I really would like to hear some good news from Duke too:) so if there is any news out there, from lurkers, or whoever, please share!

Congrats to the Duke admits. Can you please post details for the rest of us sweating it out?

Thanks, Boogs, I've been accepted into the Latin American PhD program, I do interdisciplinary US-LA work on the Cold War era. I think there are four or five other offers (Duke Fellowship) out there at the moment. The Latin American class is a big one this year, as the last two years have been smaller. What are you waiting on?

Thanks, ticklemepin, I'm pretty psyched. Flying down the 26th for perspective students weekend.

I'm just wondering, who got the Rutgers acceptance?

*big sigh of relief* Maybe it's not my competitor at all... I've seriously been obsessing in the last 24 hours over this. :rolleyes:

Now I can go back to focusing on life again instead of analyzing why she got in and I didn't.

Am I the only one among us who has not gotten in anywhere (yet)?

I'm still waiting... no responses at all yet, and I'm not feeling good about it. Then again, of my ten schools only Emory and UNC have sent anything out yet.