History 2010

Sparky

Did you receive an email/phone call? Who sent it, etc. etc.? I'd really appreciate the input on this. Thank you.

I received an email from the Graduate Program Administrator this morning. My field is the African Diaspora/Caribbean.

I'd be interested if anyone has any information of what this weekend is all about. How much is it like an interview? How much of it is just a meet and greet? Am I mostly accepted, or do I have to put on a good show? Etc.

I received an email from the Graduate Program Administrator this morning. My field is the African Diaspora/Caribbean.

I'd be interested if anyone has any information of what this weekend is all about. How much is it like an interview? How much of it is just a meet and greet? Am I mostly accepted, or do I have to put on a good show? Etc.

Having watched the boards since 2008, I can tell you that NYU's weekend thing is totally vague. Some people got the invite... went and either got accepted or denied. But people still got in without the weekend invite. It's completely random. So I wouldn't overanalyze what this means except just put your best foot out there and show that you really want to be at NYU. In other words, this invite literally means nothing if people can get into NYU without a weekend invite.

RockEater,

I have heard absolutley nothing. Nothing at all. I, too, am becoming more and more pessimistic every day. My days are spent fantasizing about Northwestern, coping with the ever-growing reality that I didn't get in, and deeply resenting my boyfriend for his numerous acceptances.

the NYU week is pretty random. last year, a handful of people were admitted without being invited to the weekend, and more than a handful who had been invited were ultimately rejected. i won't say it means nothing, you're at least on a shortlist, but it is a guarantee of nothing other than increasing your anxiety.

... i'm telling you guys, log off this site until march. your acceptances and rejections will find their way to your (e)mailbox without this site, but you'll stress a little less. i'd also like to take this opportunity to reiterate that people who get shut out completely aren't just poor students from average schools who didn't take the adcom process seriously. you are not guaranteed a spot anywhere, regardless of your pedigree. keep that in mind and maybe you won't get too down on yourself if you get rejected across the board, or only accepted to a safety school you think is beneath you.

don't worry, if you're one of the 40% that actually completes your PhD, and then one of the 20% who manages to get a tenure-track job, and then one of the 10% that manages to get that job at a research university with something less than a 4/4 teaching load, you'll be all set.

the NYU week is pretty random. last year, a handful of people were admitted without being invited to the weekend, and more than a handful who had been invited were ultimately rejected. i won't say it means nothing, you're at least on a shortlist, but it is a guarantee of nothing other than increasing your anxiety.

... i'm telling you guys, log off this site until march. your acceptances and rejections will find their way to your (e)mailbox without this site, but you'll stress a little less. i'd also like to take this opportunity to reiterate that people who get shut out completely aren't just poor students from average schools who didn't take the adcom process seriously. you are not guaranteed a spot anywhere, regardless of your pedigree. keep that in mind and maybe you won't get too down on yourself if you get rejected across the board, or only accepted to a safety school you think is beneath you.

don't worry, if you're one of the 40% that actually completes your PhD, and then one of the 20% who manages to get a tenure-track job, and then one of the 10% that manages to get that job at a research university with something less than a 4/4 teaching load, you'll be all set.

Just to expand on a point, I'm currently finishing up my MA at a "safety school" and I absolutely love it here. Professors at safety schools went to the same universities as those at top school. They're often top people in their particular fields and because they aren't super professor are often more grounded, friendly, and collegial with students. Also, I feel the days where the general intellectual conservatism of the Ivies can be disregarded are coming to an end. Someone I know at Michigan recounted that she finished up all her course work before the topic of gender ever came up in any substantive manner. That's so ridiculous it's almost inexcusable.

I must say, while I agree with the substance of what you say, I don't like your attitude. Maybe because you're "already attending" you feel that you have wisdom to impart, but I believe that we are all aware of how competitive the academic world is. The constant refrain of dubious statistics warning us all of our impending failure is not really constructive, and it's not original either. That said, I think most of us realize that we are not guaranteed any kind of success. It's difficult enough to put yourself out there, put your best foot forward etc. without having to contend with the condescension of others.

Caligula, since you and I are in the same subset of history...have you heard anything, like an email or something? Because I'm getting this troubling feeling of doom...

Well, the troubling feeling of doom may have to do with the looming Yale reject-a-thon which is likely to ensue over the next few days.

Well, the troubling feeling of doom may have to do with the looming Yale reject-a-thon which is likely to ensue over the next few days.

I'm basically just waiting for the rejection notice from Yale at this point... total bummer.

quit being so pessimistic. it's not over til the fat lady sings. and even then life goes on.

Indeed. I also happened to hear via the grapevine that Yale's working on a waitlist this year (which I believe they did not have before)...

So who got the email from Virginia? What is a POC?

That was me. POC is point of contact. Clearly I've lived in DC for too long. Hi everyone! I've lurked in the past but just got around to joining. I had to join to commiserate, since I've become so anxious and obsessive that I'm relatively certain my roommates have stopped coming home! I'm applying for 20th century US diplomatic history.

The professor at UVA said results would be out the last week of February. so far still! how am i supposed to sleep?

Indeed. I also happened to hear via the grapevine that Yale's working on a waitlist this year (which I believe they did not have before)...

Although couldn't that mean they are planning to do the "accept only the number of people for whom we have spots, then wait to see who fills them" bit? (This is somewhat common in theology, but I don't know about history).

(Disclaimer: totally idle speculation on my part; I have no stake in Yale results and have NO special knowledge of any kind).

I know that last year there were a few people (in agony) on the waitlist for Yale, but maybe they are having a more extensive waitlist this year?

Yale waitlist must be like purgatory...

I know that last year there were a few people (in agony) on the waitlist for Yale, but maybe they are having a more extensive waitlist this year?

Yale waitlist must be like purgatory...

Nah, b/c while purgatory sucks by all accounts (except maybe Catherine of Genoa's*), you necessarily get into heaven at *some* point.

* Middle Ages = RELEVANT! For ONCE! Eat it, modern era!

Re: Yale waitlist

If my sources serve me, the current 2nd year PhD class over-yielded two years ago, so they cut down a bit during the last cycle. Some fields may have had a waitlist last year, but many did not, and there were vacant spots going into this year. Thus, the high and mighty forces of admissions decided to take a more targeted 'fill the (limited) slots' approach. Or so they suggest. (I hereby disclaim any responsibility of said rumours.)

Nah, b/c while purgatory sucks by all accounts (except maybe Catherine of Genoa's*), you necessarily get into heaven at *some* point.

* Middle Ages = RELEVANT! For ONCE! Eat it, modern era!

I am not a medievalist, but must nevertheless bow to the awesome relevance of the middle ages.

Edited by subrosa