History 2010

Sparky

Oh goodness, I'll be in twitter all day to see what happened with someone else...

Some of us won the bet that Yale would come out this week! :)

Are you modern European history?

Yep, France in the 20th century esp. Vichy and the far right in the 1930's... and Yale's a long shot, especially seeing as I'm waitlisted at Emory...

about Emory, the grad director says they got their funding packages cut by the graduate school, and that the list this year is "short, so there's some real chance" that they'll get in touch. Who knows what that means, but it's much better than a reject I figure.

Yep, France in the 20th century esp. Vichy and the far right in the 1930's... and Yale's a long shot, especially seeing as I'm waitlisted at Emory...

about Emory, the grad director says they got their funding packages cut by the graduate school, and that the list this year is "short, so there's some real chance" that they'll get in touch. Who knows what that means, but it's much better than a reject I figure.

Yale is a long shot for just about everyone, from what I gather.

I'm also modern Europe, but Germany.

Is anyone applying to UChicago? I never really hear people talk about it on this board, and I never see anyone get accepted, so I'm beginning to think that their history program is a figment of my imagination.

Yale is a long shot for just about everyone, from what I gather.

I'm also modern Europe, but Germany.

Is anyone applying to UChicago? I never really hear people talk about it on this board, and I never see anyone get accepted, so I'm beginning to think that their history program is a figment of my imagination.

Hahahahahaha, your Chicago comment hits the nail on the head. I'm actually applying there, but I haven't heard a peep. You?

Hahahahahaha, your Chicago comment hits the nail on the head. I'm actually applying there, but I haven't heard a peep. You?

It's weird that nobody seems to get accepted to Chicago on this board considering that they seem to have a slightly higher acceptance rate than the Ivies.

I haven't heard anything, but because nobody seems to get accepted, I think I have been thinking that I would not get accepted, either, even though it is probably one of the better fits for my interests.

It's weird that nobody seems to get accepted to Chicago on this board considering that they seem to have a slightly higher acceptance rate than the Ivies.

I haven't heard anything, but because nobody seems to get accepted, I think I have been thinking that I would not get accepted, either, even though it is probably one of the better fits for my interests.

then again though, looking back over last year's board, there were about 3 acceptances and around 25-30 rejections, which would come out to a 10-12% acceptance rate (sounds about right). also, last year they didn't hear back until the middle of feb, so we shouldn't be worried.

everyone take a big deep breath and smile! it's only feb 5! we are all going to end up at the place we're meant to be! :)

I've applied to Chicago and got an email about a month ago asking me to submit additional apps for FLAS and some other internal funding. No word since. I'm not too optimistic as UC tends to run a bit more buttoned up than some of the other schools I've applied to. I did a summer research program there last year and the place struck me as pretty stuffy. Fingers crossed.

I've applied to Chicago and got an email about a month ago asking me to submit additional apps for FLAS and some other internal funding. No word since. I'm not too optimistic as UC tends to run a bit more buttoned up than some of the other schools I've applied to. I did a summer research program there last year and the place struck me as pretty stuffy. Fingers crossed.

I got that email too, and I pretty much convinced myself that meant something good, until I realized that NONE of those extra funds even applied to me!

I got that email too, and I pretty much convinced myself that meant something good, until I realized that NONE of those extra funds even applied to me!

Ausgezeichnet! Haven't heard of Chicago since the email about special fellowships. Mais j'ai un peu d'espoir... where are you accepted, Nytusse?

Ausgezeichnet! Haven't heard of Chicago since the email about special fellowships. Mais j'ai un peu d'espoir... where are you accepted, Nytusse?

University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota. Minnesota has said that there will be funding, Wisconsin has not said a peep yet.

University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota. Minnesota has said that there will be funding, Wisconsin has not said a peep yet.

I think Wisconsin sends their funding notifications out later, if I recall my conversations with a professor correctly.

In a marginally related note, the Mellon Institute granted $1.8 million yesterday for the Humanities to hire twelve postdoctoral students, three each year for the next four years, and to make more courses available.

Congrats to those who got in to Yale. I'm still waiting to hear from them. What time did you guys find out, and how?

Edited by RockEater

So after the Yale history result, and then a Yale person getting rejected via website just now (yes, it was for astronomy, but it still means that the WEBSITE CAN SAY STUFF)...

I almost passed out waiting for my rejection, but there's still a whole lot of nothing going on in the website.

This is kind of gross. Things need to start happening consistently and quickly before I lose my mind.

I think Wisconsin sends their funding notifications out later, if I recall my conversations with a professor correctly.

In a marginally related note, the Mellon Institute granted $1.8 million yesterday for the Humanities to hire twelve postdoctoral students, three each year for the next four years, and to make more courses available.

Congrats to those who got in to Yale. I'm still waiting to hear from them. What time did you guys find out, and how?

A funny thing happened regarding the Minnesota admit. They said they would send me a funding package in a few days, so yesterday, I got a giant envelope with History written on it. The postmark was in Minnesota. I got myself all excited, then I realized it was from the History Channel.

I thought I was going to get input. :(

Oh, and Wisconsin sent me a second small letter to tell me that I was really, really accepted (the grad school approved it). That provided no new information.

A funny thing happened regarding the Minnesota admit. They said they would send me a funding package in a few days, so yesterday, I got a giant envelope with History written on it. The postmark was in Minnesota. I got myself all excited, then I realized it was from the History Channel.

I thought I was going to get input. sad.gif

Oh, and Wisconsin sent me a second small letter to tell me that I was really, really accepted (the grad school approved it). That provided no new information.

Interesting, I thought the History Channel was based in New York. Either way, hope you got a good laugh and something good in the envelope (like season 1 of Pawn Stars or something). I'm not surprised that Wisconsin sent a second letter reaffirming that you were accepted. I mentioned to my professor (who is on the Adcom) that some people were surprised at how early the decisions came out, and some weren't sure if it was real! I guess they got enough of those comments to warrant a second letter.

I had a dream last night that I got into Yale and went to an accepted students weekend there, where everybody was like "OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE WE GOT INTO YALE!!" Then I woke up and, as you imagine, was pretty pissed off to realize that it wasn't real. I really need to get out more!

I got into Wisconsin too. Funding offers comes between something like March 15th and March 24th, most likely by mail.