History 2010

Sparky

What I want to know about Chicago is if the people who got acceptances also got that generic email...or was that just sent to those who were going to be rejected?

It looks like last year Chicago notified the rejections WAY after the acceptances, which is seriously not cool.

I'm one of the people was accepted to Chicago, and I got that generic letter, too...which is why when I opened my mail yesterday I initially thought it was ANOTHER generic email, sent to help me agonize more. I was surprised they sent it so soon after the first generic one, too. Anyway, hopefully they won't keep people waiting much longer with the rest of the decisions.

Just got an email from a prof at Northwestern letting me know that I should be expecting good news from the Graduate school in a few days. I'm guessing that the Latin Americanists met later than other fields. My first acceptance! I was feeling pretty bummed about the two rejections in a row but this has knocked that all out of my head. I now renounce all right to complain about anything. I am sick of people who got acceptances crying about how "hard" it is to choose between schools(plural). It's a luxury to have been accepted into one school let alone two or three. It's pretty gross to post about being wracked with indecision about your multiple acceptances when there will be many hard working and deserving people who end up with no offers this season. Good luck to all!

Congrats. That's a hell of a program up there.

Hi all,

I'm an Americanist, and so far have been accepted to one school, rejected from two, and waiting on four. I was wondering if anybody has heard anything from Stanford or University of Washington (Seattle) yet...?

I got my rejection email from UW a few days ago, but I'm not an Americanist.

I got my rejection email from UW a few days ago, but I'm not an Americanist.

I haven't gotten an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist from Brandeis. I've seen all three on the board. Should I call about this? I confirmed the status of my application. What could this mean?

I haven't gotten an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist from Brandeis. I've seen all three on the board. Should I call about this? I confirmed the status of my application. What could this mean?

Hm I don't know their system, but it seems like you should be able to find something out by calling... you're one of at least two people on this board who've had that problem. Good luck!

a few unsolicited words of advice to people calling graduate secretaries or professors looking for information:

the graduate secretaries are getting bombarded with telephone calls from nervous and jittery students right now. if you call, be exceedingly polite and patient (not that you otherwise wouldn't be). these graduate secretaries will be your lifeline when you're in your program and often they remember who phones them. be really, really nice.

admissions time happens to overlap inconveniently with the period when most schools host their job searches, so in addition to adcoms working through your applications, they're also involved in the very time-consuming process of hiring other professors. if your potential advisor is chairing a job search committee, notifying potential advisees of unofficial decisions or keeping in contact with them may not be a priority. on the other hand, another professor in the same department with a little more time on his hands may be willing to let his potential advisees know their fate or start a dialogue with acceptees about their research or funding packages or whatever. this isn't an indication of how interested the professor is in you. it's more than likely just a reflection on the amount of work they have to do this time of year. don't take it personally if one admit to your school has multiple phone conversations with their advisors over the next few weeks and you don't get an email. some people are genuinely busier than others.

You and me both, Insideout.

I put in my application that if I was rejected from the PhD, I would like to be considered for the MA. Maybe I was reverted to the MA list and have to wait until they send those out, which is done on a rolling basis through April 30th according to their website. Is it possible this could be the same for you?

Edited by bmr716

a few unsolicited words of advice to people calling graduate secretaries or professors looking for information:

the graduate secretaries are getting bombarded with telephone calls from nervous and jittery students right now. if you call, be exceedingly polite and patient (not that you otherwise wouldn't be). these graduate secretaries will be your lifeline when you're in your program and often they remember who phones them. be really, really nice.

admissions time happens to overlap inconveniently with the period when most schools host their job searches, so in addition to adcoms working through your applications, they're also involved in the very time-consuming process of hiring other professors. if your potential advisor is chairing a job search committee, notifying potential advisees of unofficial decisions or keeping in contact with them may not be a priority. on the other hand, another professor in the same department with a little more time on his hands may be willing to let his potential advisees know their fate or start a dialogue with acceptees about their research or funding packages or whatever. this isn't an indication of how interested the professor is in you. it's more than likely just a reflection on the amount of work they have to do this time of year. don't take it personally if one admit to your school has multiple phone conversations with their advisors over the next few weeks and you don't get an email. some people are genuinely busier than others.

Thanks for this info! It actually makes a lot of sense and makes me feel a whole lot better about not being contacted, even by the school I was accepted to. I swear, we should put this and other valuable advice in a "So, you want to apply to grad school?" handbook or something.

Current students are also handing in funding paperwork and applications for things for summer/2010-2011 fellowships, instructorships, etc. now so they're SUPER busy with other things.

Apparently, Illinois has made decisions. No for me. Was not a good fit at all, but I can't say it doesn't still sting. Especially with Harvard and Upenn likely to go soon, ick.

Same here, except mine was a great fit. Quite a bummer. Looks like the rest of my applications will be like this.

Same here, except mine was a great fit. Quite a bummer. Looks like the rest of my applications will be like this.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel that same sense of impending doom, even though I had long predicted Illinois would be able to tell I was not all that into them.

They also got the version of my SOP where I wrote "German" instead of "Germany" in the first SENTENCE, which is one of the most heinous typos I could have made.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel that same sense of impending doom, even though I had long predicted Illinois would be able to tell I was not all that into them.

They also got the version of my SOP where I wrote "German" instead of "Germany" in the first SENTENCE, which is one of the most heinous typos I could have made.

But you have two acceptances already, so you're in good shape. My thinking was that if Illinois doesn't want me, where there was plenty of faculty to work with me on my proposed plan and interest in it, then there is a very good chance that other places will think the same way. I kind of understand it though, because my area of interest is not something 'cool' or studied very much right now in history, especially when European history is dominated by German, French, or Russian history. But, still, damn. I'm not despairing, just being realistic. It sucks having all my pessimistic predictions confirmed. Now I must do something about that Indiana waitlist because that's all I've got. Any ideas?

But you have two acceptances already, so you're in good shape. My thinking was that if Illinois doesn't want me, where there was plenty of faculty to work with me on my proposed plan and interest in it, then there is a very good chance that other places will think the same way. I kind of understand it though, because my area of interest is not something 'cool' or studied very much right now in history, especially when European history is dominated by German, French, or Russian history. But, still, damn. I'm not despairing, just being realistic. It sucks having all my pessimistic predictions confirmed. Now I must do something about that Indiana waitlist because that's all I've got. Any ideas?

I'm sending you a PM.

i'm in the same boat, tourist. i really thought that if anyone was going to buy what i'm selling it was UIUC. i'm now fairly resigned to missing out on everywhere and moving to sydney.

There were also a large amount of applicants and very few positions there, if I remember correctly. Don't let it dampen your hopes at other schools!

Just got an email from Northwestern with funding info--guaranteed support for five years and four summers! Also, they're having an admitted students thing March 8-9. Is anyone else going to be there?

Just got an email from Northwestern. I'm in with funding for five years and four summers. Heu mihi, I'll see you in March. FYI: My field is Latin American and Caribbean History. I'm so happy!

Congrats to the Harvard admits! Does anyone know if Harvard is done with admits?

Well, there were only a couple of admits posted. I wouldn't think they are quite done. I think Harvard and UPenn might do some admits today.

Gulp.