PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

14 hours ago, katusinterruptus said:

I applied to both of these. I haven't heard anything from UPenn, but I had an interview with North American Religions for Columbia in late January. They said they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks.

That counts me out, but good luck! 

1 hour ago, Marcion said:

When do you think its okay to email a POI and ask what is going on?

For which program? If it's an Ivy, no--still too early. If it's UVa, give it another week or two. Until you know that their waitlist has gone out, I'd hold off.

Edited by the.waiting.game

2 hours ago, Marcion said:

When do you think its okay to email a POI and ask what is going on?

I'm going to wait until the first week of March. It will be difficult to wait that long, but it seems like the schools might need February to sort out acceptances (did the admitted students accept or turn down their offers?). 

4 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

I'm going to wait until the first week of March. It will be difficult to wait that long, but it seems like the schools might need February to sort out acceptances (did the admitted students accept or turn down their offers?). 

You are right, *sigh*

Have you all crossed off schools that you know have sent out acceptances but haven't contacted you? I know you can get put on a short waiting list until students accept their offers, so part of me wants to hold out hope. 

Another factor in this conversion is that admitted students who applied to several programs may not hear back from all their schools to make a decision until early March. Even then, if they are waitlisted at their top choice, they may wait it out until April to see what happens. So, unless you get a rejection letter, it's still in play. 

13 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

I got my first rejection email! Woo-hoo! Finally, something! 

Sorry, not sorry? But seriously, sucks it is bad news but I agree that getting *something* is better than nothing.

Life goes on. I thought the Theology department at Notre Dame was a stretch, but I really want to work with Robin Jensen, so I applied to work with her both in the Theology department and Medieval Institute. I haven't heard from the latter, so I'm trying to decide if I should email her with a "Hey, what's up?" or just wait it out. She seemed interested in my project when I corresponded with her via email in Nov and Dec.

19 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

I got my first rejection email! Woo-hoo! Finally, something! 

same for me and same school (ND - CJA)! it's okay, we're all in this together. lots of good applicants and so many factors that I don't take things too personally anymore.

1 hour ago, Abdelazar said:

same for me and same school (ND - CJA)! it's okay, we're all in this together. lots of good applicants and so many factors that I don't take things too personally anymore.

Same here. WRWC. ND was my top choice, so this is obviously very disappointing. Thought I had a good chance based on communication I've had with POIs and my visit, but of course not shocking. 

For those wondering about Harvard, a friend overheard a professor from the Committee on the Study of Religion today talking to another person. He said the committee has met and made a list but that the decisions haven't gone through the GSAS process yet. So maybe next week? Not sure if this helps or makes me more anxious, but I thought I'd pass it along. Also this friend was short on specifics, so sorry about that...

14 minutes ago, alephbet said:

For those wondering about Harvard, a friend overheard a professor from the Committee on the Study of Religion today talking to another person. He said the committee has met and made a list but that the decisions haven't gone through the GSAS process yet. So maybe next week? Not sure if this helps or makes me more anxious, but I thought I'd pass it along. Also this friend was short on specifics, so sorry about that...

Thanks for the update! I suspect that this is the process for most (if not all) schools/programs. In all my interviews so far, the professors have mentioned that the first step was for the professors to come up with a list of students to submit to the Graduate School and the decision will ultimately be made by them. 

I guess that means one to two more weeks of waiting.....

5 minutes ago, MarthUser said:

Thanks for the update! I suspect that this is the process for most (if not all) schools/programs. In all my interviews so far, the professors have mentioned that the first step was for the professors to come up with a list of students to submit to the Graduate School and the decision will ultimately be made by them. 

I guess that means one to two more weeks of waiting.....

FWIW, I think it depends on the school whether this is truly another hoop to make it through or just a formality. 

Regarding U Chicago Div, I also applied and also haven't heard anything. According to the results search, they notified end of February last year but around this time two years ago, so who knows. Could be tomorrow, could be two weeks from now.

Edited by alephbet

1 hour ago, alephbet said:

Did the professor mention an applicant named Andrea? Like did he say something like, "You sass that froopy Andrea and her project on early Christian art? There's a frood who really knows where her towel is" or something of the kind?

6 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

Did the professor mention an applicant named Andrea? Like did he say something like, "You sass that froopy Andrea and her project on early Christian art? There's a frood who really knows where her towel is" or something of the kind?

Did they mention how many limbs we would need to cut off? 

This sounds about right to me. 

I wish my POI would email, "Yo Averroes, you have (not) been accepted." I think he should have live tweeted me it in the meeting actually.

I was told today that there is another meeting scheduled much later this month, i.e. for Harvard.  I didn't get a lot of specifics ... but the person expected notifications to be sent out late February/early March.  Hardly news but I thought I would pass it along anyway.  Additionally, I was told that some area committees have already ruled out all of their candidates.  Again, not surprising but that is where it stands now.  (Oh, and I wouldn't trust the calendar somebody posted earlier ... I know for a fact that some of their admissions meetings were not listed on that calendar).

Does anyone know what the process at Yale is now?  I had an interview a couple weeks ago and have been replaying it over and over and over and over in my mind.  It needs to stop!!