PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

You know, I skip this forum for two weeks so I won't build up anxiety checking it every three minutes. And then, when I finally log back on, there's absolutely no results for the programs to which I applied. The only thing new I've learned is that marXian and Marcion are two different users. 

Soon enough, though...

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

15 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Yes.

That makes me so sad. I really thought I had a chance with them, and I REALLY wanted to go there. :(

.... so, should I wait till late Saturday night and drunk dial the department repeatedly? Leave them a bunch of messages for them to find Monday morning?

16 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

That makes me so sad. I really thought I had a chance with them, and I REALLY wanted to go there. :(

.... so, should I wait till late Saturday night and drunk dial the department repeatedly? Leave them a bunch of messages for them to find Monday morning?

If you do, let's make it a joint call because I feel the same way! 

3 hours ago, FlyPiper said:

If you do, let's make it a joint call because I feel the same way! 

In a drunken slur:

12:10 AM "Look, Austin [said with attitude], I wuz reddy t' givup EVRYTHIN fer yoouu!! Stupid Austin...  wuz reddy t' packup my bags and LEAVE just t'be wi' you... but NOOOO!!! NO! Y'don't want me??? FINE! I HATE YOU! I nver evn wanted t'be wi'you! F*** YOU!! D'you hear me???? F***!! YOU!!"

1:30 AM "[crying] Look, I know I mestup. I'm SORRY! 'm sooo sorrrryyy!!...[whimper] Plz just call me back! I just wanna talk, 'n if you still don't wanna accept me... [sob] I'll leave you alone... Plz jes call me..."

2:15 AM "So what? Were the one's you 'cceped prettier 'n me????? HUH??? R they all skinny 'n all blond? Oh yeah, I bet they f-ing grew up in ancient f-ing GREECE, and Attic is like they're native f-ing language!!! Skinny Attic bitches!"

3:00 AM "Th'thing is... I nver really got 'long with my dad.... I jes wanted him t' luv me fer who I am, y'know? .... so, the song I'm gonna play fer you is kinda 'bout that, but its also kinda 'bout you 'n me..."

*BEEP* MAILBOX IS FULL

Edited by rheya19

9 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

In a drunken slur:

12:10 AM "Look, Austin [said with attitude], I wuz reddy t' givup EVRYTHIN fer yoouu!! Stupid Austin...  wuz reddy t' packup my bags and LEAVE just t'be wi' you... but NOOOO!!! NO! Y'don't want me??? FINE! I HATE YOU! I nver evn wanted t'be wi'you! F*** YOU!! D'you hear me???? F***!! YOU!!"

1:30 AM "[crying] Look, I know I mestup. I'm SORRY! 'm sooo sorrrryyy!!...[whimper] Plz just call me back! I just wanna talk, 'n if you still don't wanna accept me... [sob] I'll leave you alone... Plz jes call me..."

2:15 AM "So what? Were the one's you 'cceped prettier 'n me????? HUH??? R they all skinny 'n all blond? Oh yeah, I bet they f-ing grew up in ancient f-ing GREECE, and Attic is like they're native f-ing language!!! Skinny Attic bitches!"

3:00 AM "Th'thing is... I nver really got 'long with my dad.... I jes wanted him t' luv me fer who I am, y'know?"

*BEEP* MAILBOX IS FULL

This is the funniest and purest thing I have read in a long time. I laugh because it is true, I cry because it is me.

19 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

In a drunken slur:

3:00 AM "Th'thing is... I nver really got 'long with my dad.... I jes wanted him t' luv me fer who I am, y'know? .... so, the song I'm gonna play fer you is kinda 'bout that, but its also kinda 'bout you 'n me..."

*BEEP* MAILBOX IS FULL

This is great! It is all the emotion of this application season wrapped in a nice little dialogue. Thank you for bringing laughter into this. 

23 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

You know, I skip this forum for two weeks so I won't build up anxiety checking it every three minutes. And then, when I finally log back on, there's absolutely no results for the programs to which I applied. The only thing new I've learned is that marXian and Marcion are two different users. 

How dare you.

On 1/26/2017 at 0:16 PM, axiomness said:

I applied to all three of those, and I did last year as well.  I received a phone call saying I got the nomination for my area (Phil Religion) at Yale at the beginning of February, and they ended up taking an Islamic studies person in that stead (which I discovered a few weeks later). I received a waitlist notification for Chicago in mid February.

Those aren't in HB, though, but Phil Religion/Theo. 

Am I reading your post correctly, that you were recommended for admission by the department at Yale, but the graduate school ultimately rejected you? If so, that's crazy!

Since February began I've gone through 2 bottles of scotch, a bottle of bourbon, and roughly 3/4 of a carton of cigarettes. You know. Just hangin' out here in Limbo. 

On 2/8/2017 at 8:25 PM, Almaqah Thwn said:

Soon enough, though...

I know their real names. I'll share them with you for a modest fee.

Judging from previous years, seems like a lot of religion programs send out acceptance letters in the last week of Feb. One person of contact informed me that the final meeting for decisions at this particular school will be in two weeks.  I don't know if I'll make it another two weeks... And if I'm waitlisted, that could mean another month or so!  Keeping a good amount of whiskey in stock.

I know I am going insane because I keep checking my inbox, seeing if Stanford has gotten back to me, only to remind myself that they are 3 hours behind me and hoping it means I will hear later in the day....

19 hours ago, seung said:

Am I reading your post correctly, that you were recommended for admission by the department at Yale, but the graduate school ultimately rejected you? If so, that's crazy!

Ah, no that's not quite it. It makes more sense than that. I received the nomination for the Phil Religion track but the department picked an/some alternative person(s) for their "interdisciplinary" slot. They pool the less popular areas together for x amount of offers, and they didn't pick me/Phil Religion at the departmental level. Still very upsetting, though. Especially since it, apparently (acc. to my POI there) makes me less likely to get in this time around. :( 

12 minutes ago, axiomness said:

Ah, no that's not quite it. It makes more sense than that. I received the nomination for the Phil Religion track but the department picked an/some alternative person(s) for their "interdisciplinary" slot. They pool the less popular areas together for x amount of offers, and they didn't pick me/Phil Religion at the departmental level. Still very upsetting, though. Especially since it, apparently (acc. to my POI there) makes me less likely to get in this time around. :( 

Do you mean that an applicant has less of a chance if he/she applied the year before and didn't get in? Is this generally the case?

Edited by Calvin S