PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

3 minutes ago, Averroes MD said:

My friend applied to the PhD program and was shunted to the master's program just like you. He was subsequently accepted to it. I don't know whether or not this shunting is automatic or not. However, if you are interested in doing the master's you should absolutely take advantage of this and apply. 

A Harvard MA can only hep you in future rounds of applications. Agree with @Averroes MD, definitely at least apply in case you don't get accepted to any other PhD programs. 

1 hour ago, menge said:

From your previous post it seems like you are applying straight from undergrad? This could be one reason why. While most programs say they accept applicants without MA's, in practice I think many admitted to PhD's have at least one M* degree. 

Yep, finishing my bachelor's this May. I figured that it was a bit of a stretch to get in without a Master's.

13 hours ago, turktheman said:

Things could change, but I think for most of the subfields they don't do interviews. The only possible exception is JCA, which someone last year in the results was pretty adamant about having been interviewed for that subfield. He posted first on 01/11/2016 listing a Skype interview. Apparently, he was accepted 02/02/2016. I would normally think this was a troll, but he/she was the first of a few to also list official acceptances in early February where he/she reiterated that they interviewed for the spot. Could be a one-off thing, but who knows. 

I knew someone two years ago who was interviewed for the JCA program, so maybe it's something they are implementing or do when they have an especially strong candidate pool? She was an MA student at UVA but did a Skype interview, I guess to keep it fair for others who couldn't interview in person.

Edited by alh7pn

25 minutes ago, alh7pn said:

I knew someone two years ago who was interviewed for the JCA program, so maybe it's something they are implementing or do when they have an especially strong candidate pool? She was an MA student at UVA but did a Skype interview, I guess to keep it fair for others who couldn't interview in person.

Thanks for the info. I imagine they've done the same this year in JCA. We'll shall see soon enough. Have you heard anything from Boston College?

Anyone want to claim that Northwestern acceptance? There must've been some mistake because Feb 23rd hasn't happened yet. (On the other hand, if they meant Jan 23rd, that probably means I'm toast, as I interviewed there on the 18th... :( )

53 minutes ago, axiomness said:

Anyone want to claim that Northwestern acceptance? There must've been some mistake because Feb 23rd hasn't happened yet. (On the other hand, if they meant Jan 23rd, that probably means I'm toast, as I interviewed there on the 18th... :( )

I just had my friend told me she was accepted at Northwestern. Sorry bro.

While I'm waiting for acceptances, I'll throw my hat in here. I applied to 10 PhD programs, focus on early Christian art. The programs include: Harvard, Princeton, Boston U, Notre Dame (one in Theology and one in Medieval Studies), USC (in the Art History department), UT-Austin, UBC, Iowa, and Indiana. 

No news from any of them yet. 

And if I can just vent with you all fine people for a moment: After spending around $1000 on the entire application process (from GRE test to Interfolio fees) and hours upon hours of my life researching programs and writing personal statements, I'd better get in somewhere. Holy crap! Even McDonald's School of Religion and Happy Meals! I don't care!  

This is basically how I'm handling the waiting game:

.MjdWRuL.gif

(And yes, I'm wearing that hair while I wait.)

23 hours ago, Marcion said:

Any advice about Skype interviews?

You've shown them you could be a good fit and have the right background. Now show them your passion for the subject, clear vision for your place in the program (how you want to work with your professors and colleagues), and your ability to work well with others. 

21 hours ago, rheya19 said:

While I'm waiting for acceptances, I'll throw my hat in here. I applied to 10 PhD programs, focus on early Christian art. The programs include: Harvard, Princeton, Boston U, Notre Dame (one in Theology and one in Medieval Studies), USC (in the Art History department), UT-Austin, UBC, Iowa, and Indiana. 

No news from any of them yet. 

And if I can just vent with you all fine people for a moment: After spending around $1000 on the entire application process (from GRE test to Interfolio fees) and hours upon hours of my life researching programs and writing personal statements, I'd better get in somewhere. Holy crap! Even McDonald's School of Religion and Happy Meals! I don't care!  

This is basically how I'm handling the waiting game:

.MjdWRuL.gif

(And yes, I'm wearing that hair while I wait.)

I haven't heard a peep from any of mine yet either. The anxiety is soul crushing. 

I was checking app status at a school and noticed that the status had been bolded. I got super excited and then realized it said "Complete. Your application is under review by the Department" - text which earlier had not been bolded. Surely it doesn't mean anything, I got super excited and then confused - why the change?!? Why must they tease me so?!?

On the flip side. As some know, all things willing, I'll be ordained to the priesthood in June (presently a transitional deacon) and received word today that my bishop "is still actively discerning" if they'll sign off on me leaving the diocese so that I may pursue studies. I realize they have time, there's no rush but still it's a technicality I don't want hanging over my head.

I'm having to remind myself that things happen in their own time, and knowing when they'll happen doesn't speed them up anymore than hitting the elevator button over and over makes it arrive any quicker. I just have to stay busy until the decisions come. :( 

Last night I had a stress dream that the local First Baptist Church sent assassins after me, and Margaret Thatcher helped me escape to South America. So yeah. Thats pretty much where I'm at in my life...