PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

13 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Hey, just wondering if anyone else applied to UC-Santa Barbara and UNC-CH? 

Any guesses on when either might release? I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

I applied to UCSB! Hopefully we're hearing soon, when I was out there visiting in August, the graduate advisor told me the prospective student weekend would *hopefully* be sometime in March. So I'm assuming they'd let people know if they need to travel out to California with a little bit of notice.

18 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Hey, just wondering if anyone else applied to UC-Santa Barbara and UNC-CH? 

Any guesses on when either might release? I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

UNC Chapel Hill already notified--a friend of mine who also applied heard back on Jan 27 and got the official letter from the graduate school on the 31st. womp womp. Sorry. I too was hoping on hearing from them... 

2 minutes ago, the.waiting.game said:

UNC Chapel Hill already notified--a friend of mine who also applied heard back on Jan 27 and got the official letter from the graduate school on the 31st. womp womp. Sorry. I too was hoping on hearing from them... 

Bummer! But thanks for the heads up—good to know.

9 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

I applied to UCSB! Hopefully we're hearing soon, when I was out there visiting in August, the graduate advisor told me the prospective student weekend would *hopefully* be sometime in March. So I'm assuming they'd let people know if they need to travel out to California with a little bit of notice.

Yea, hopefully we'll hear something soon. Just out of curiosity, whats your area of interest? I'm interested in history of philosophy and theology...particularly religion in Kant and German Idealism

5 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Bummer! But thanks for the heads up—good to know.

Yea, hopefully we'll hear something soon. Just out of curiosity, whats your area of interest? I'm interested in history of philosophy and theology...particularly religion in Kant and German Idealism

I'm interested in ethnographic work, specifically race/gender in contemporary Afro-Diapsoric religions!

13 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

I'm interested in ethnographic work, specifically race/gender in contemporary Afro-Diapsoric religions!

Nice! I'm actually doing some similar work in the Caribbean. Out of curiosity, where in addition to UCSB have you applied?

3 minutes ago, jsant09 said:

Nice! I'm actually doing some similar work in the Caribbean. Out of curiosity, where in addition to UCSB have you applied?

UVA, Rice University, Harvard. Harvard is the only one I've heard back from, they couldn't let me in the PhD program but gave me a week to apply for the Master's program, which I'm currently doing.

3 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

UVA, Rice University, Harvard. Harvard is the only one I've heard back from, they couldn't let me in the PhD program but gave me a week to apply for the Master's program, which I'm currently doing.

As a Catholic I've had trouble finding programs that fit both categories (race in Afro-Diasporic communities/religions and Catholicism). I ended up applying to just SMU and ND. Sounds like you have some good options though. 

6 minutes ago, jsant09 said:

As a Catholic I've had trouble finding programs that fit both categories (race in Afro-Diasporic communities/religions and Catholicism). I ended up applying to just SMU and ND. Sounds like you have some good options though. 

Oh wow, that would be a bit tough to find. I'm not religious so I didn't have that problem, but those are two great schools! 

1 hour ago, bijou2017 said:

Did you apply to the History of Religion in America at UVA and have you heard from them? Did you get into Rice?

Edited by Marcion

7 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Did you apply to the History of Religion in America at UVA and have you heard from them? Did you get into Rice?

I applied to the History of Religion specifically for African Religions at UVA, and have heard nothing. I have also heard nothing from Rice. :/

9 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

I applied to the History of Religion specifically for African Religions at UVA, and have heard nothing. I have also heard nothing from Rice. :/

I got word from Rice yesterday, but that was for "Religion in America." No news from UVA for me as well.

5 hours ago, jsant09 said:

I received a call of acceptance from SMU yesterday. I am not the one who posted the result. There was no mention of an interview, they just have a prospective student weekend in March I am assuming for admitted students. 

What, may I ask, is your sub-field?

1 hour ago, Averroes MD said:

So, this is probably when they are going through applications?

I heard back from Harvard NELC around the end of February last year. But if you are waitlisted, sometimes you may not hear that you are on the wait list until March.

6 hours ago, Abdelazar said:

I heard back from Harvard NELC around the end of February last year. But if you are waitlisted, sometimes you may not hear that you are on the wait list until March.

Which means that our fates are probably already sealed, right? i.e. the committee has already met and decided who is in and who is out?

I don't know how this information helps me but still...

8 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

Which means that our fates are probably already sealed, right? i.e. the committee has already met and decided who is in and who is out?

I don't know how this information helps me but still...

They likely met in January to work the application pile into a short list. It would make sense, timing-wise, that they would finalize their picks the 13th. NELC also has a publicly accessible calendar with a department meeting listed for the day after, on the 14th. I doubt anyone will hear anything next week. The week after would make sense.

39 minutes ago, turktheman said:

They likely met in January to work the application pile into a short list. It would make sense, timing-wise, that they would finalize their picks the 13th. NELC also has a publicly accessible calendar with a department meeting listed for the day after, on the 14th. I doubt anyone will hear anything next week. The week after would make sense.

We might get rejections next week if we don't make the cut perhaps?

12 minutes ago, Marcion said:

We might get rejections next week if we don't make the cut perhaps?

Maybe. But it looks like in past years acceptances were made before rejections. Last year, acceptances were made Feb 24 and rejections March 2. 

1 hour ago, Cioaba said:

Maybe. But it looks like in past years acceptances were made before rejections. Last year, acceptances were made Feb 24 and rejections March 2. 

Agreed. The accepted shall be first and the rejected last.