PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

On 1/27/2017 at 3:44 PM, HBgrad2017 said:

Ooof, is it typical for Yale to notify those who get nominations for their areas before giving them an official offer? I feel like I would rather just never know if I got close like that.

Also, did you get an interview at Chicago? I've been told by at least one person that Chicago Div gave him an interview, but I don't know how typical that is. (If so, around when did they send interview invitations?)

Also, seeing as how we're in different fields, hope ya get in!

Sorry just saw this response. I don't think so, only if you are in one of the smaller 'interdisciplinary' pools such as I was (the department takes 1 or 2 from 'smaller' fields like Phil Religion, Islamic Studies, etc.). Yes it killed me. Still does. I didn't get an interview at Chicago, just received the waitlist notification over e-mail.

Same to you!

1 hour ago, NT PhD ... Hopefully said:

Where are all the NT folks??? 

I'm one of the NT folks. I guess I'll stop lurking and join the fray. I applied to PTS, Duke Div, Duke Grad, Emory, Notre Dame, Baylor, Yale, SMU, CUA, and Marquette. So far, I've had interviews (or been invited to interviews) at PTS, Marquette, and Baylor. 

Does anyone know when/if Duke interviews should be going out?

24 minutes ago, RiskyNT said:

I'm one of the NT folks. I guess I'll stop lurking and join the fray. I applied to PTS, Duke Div, Duke Grad, Emory, Notre Dame, Baylor, Yale, SMU, CUA, and Marquette. So far, I've had interviews (or been invited to interviews) at PTS, Marquette, and Baylor. 

Typically, Duke will notifying their top candidates in January or very early February. From the results page it looks like they mostly are decided by the end of January. My understanding of Duke's PhD process is that the interviews are not competitive; that is, they pick their top choices and invite them for a campus visit, which is tantamount to acceptance. I don't think many programs do it this way: some NT/Early Church/CJA programs do competitive interviews on Skype (e.g. PTS, Yale, Marquette . . . unless you're on campus already), some host competitive interviews on campus (e.g. Baylor, Emory, Notre Dame, etc.), and a few don't have to do interviews (e.g. Harvard and UVA [though UVA may have added interviews like UT Austin has]). 

I'm curious about your application to Marquette. Are you interested in NT theology? 

16 hours ago, RiskyNT said:

Hey good to see a fellow NT applicant.  Congrats on getting the interview at Baylor.  Good luck!!!  (I also applied to Emory, Baylor, SMU)

16 hours ago, turktheman said:

I'm curious about your application to Marquette. Are you interested in NT theology? 

Yea, I am. For Marquette, I'm interested in Paul's use of Jewish tradition in the formation of his theology and in his reception in the early church. I also think that Marquette's interdisciplinary approach is interesting. 

When is Baylor's preview weekend? Saw a couple note they were wait listed by Baylor for department of religion. Have not been rejected, waitlisted or invited to preview weekend so I am anxious to hear back from them.

37 minutes ago, brentthewalrus said:

When is Baylor's preview weekend? Saw a couple note they were wait listed by Baylor for department of religion. Have not been rejected, waitlisted or invited to preview weekend so I am anxious to hear back from them.

Hey buddy.  The preview weekend is, according to the email I received from Baylor, the second weekend in Feb.

22 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I know it is still early, but I am kind of shocked how many people have received acceptance notifications already.

Me too! It's like this year is either all or nothing: Instant accept or total silence. I know it's just impatience. By March 1, we'll all be pretty well set either way. 

49 minutes ago, KnightGeorge said:

Me too! It's like this year is either all or nothing: Instant accept or total silence. I know it's just impatience. By March 1, we'll all be pretty well set either way. 

As Tom Petty says, "Waiting is the hardest part."

21 minutes ago, Marcion said:

As Tom Petty says, "Waiting is the hardest part."

Especially difficult when you haven't heard about interviews/visits, and you know they have gone out by now. I'm figuring presumed rejections from N'western, Princeton, Columbia, and Yale. Only a few more weeks and this will *hopefully* be over. 

2 minutes ago, menge said:

Especially difficult when you haven't heard about interviews/visits, and you know they have gone out by now. I'm figuring presumed rejections from N'western, Princeton, Columbia, and Yale. Only a few more weeks and this will *hopefully* be over. 

Just knowing Stanford has called my recommenders is giving me panic attacks. I have seen other departments at Stanford have reached out and asked for interviews, but no one in the Religion Department. I am trying to be cool but it is difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Just knowing Stanford has called my recommenders is giving me panic attacks. I have seen other departments at Stanford have reached out and asked for interviews, but no one in the Religion Department. I am trying to be cool but it is difficult. 

I hope you hear back soon. That limbo is worse than not hearing anything at all. 

If you don't mind me asking, who are you hoping to work with at Harvard and UVA? I don't have much hope of getting in to either, but I did apply to both for Am. Rel. Hist. (PM if you're not comfortable sharing publicly). 

18 minutes ago, menge said:

I hope you hear back soon. That limbo is worse than not hearing anything at all. 

If you don't mind me asking, who are you hoping to work with at Harvard and UVA? I don't have much hope of getting in to either, but I did apply to both for Am. Rel. Hist. (PM if you're not comfortable sharing publicly). 

Will PM you ;)

28 minutes ago, Auggie1 said:

Since someone asked, I have received an invitation for a Skype interview with the Duke ThD program and an invitation to the prospective students weekend for the PhD program. Hope that helps!

What is your subfield? NT?

6 hours ago, KnightGeorge said:

Based on past years, it seems like Northwestern results could come out by the end of this week or next. Also seems like UVA could start trickling out next week. Keep your heads up friends, our fates will soon be decided. 

Edited by menge

7 hours ago, menge said:

Based on past years, it seems like Northwestern results could come out by the end of this week or next. Also seems like UVA could start trickling out next week. Keep your heads up friends, our fates will soon be decided. 

I can confirm that Northwestern interviews were completed last week or will be this week. Our visiting weekend (which is for admitted students) is the first weekend in March, so notifications will be going out very soon if they haven't already.

Hi. I have good news to share. I've been accepted to IU's program and plan to attend. I know there were at least 4-5 posts about interviews and wonder if anyone else has received acceptances and planning to attend the recruitment weekend? 

And, if this is not a good place to post this as people are waiting for results, and probably anxious/uncertain/stressed, understandably, I'm sorry, I'll post somewhere else! 

It took me 6 application cycles. I had acceptances during the 3rd (Drew and Garrett) and couldn't do it then, and then tried two more times in a different department, and somehow everything landed right this year. But, it's not an easy process, and I definitely feel that. Sending good vibes and thoughts to all of you who are waiting.

23 minutes ago, OneLastHope said:

Hi. I have good news to share. I've been accepted to IU's program and plan to attend. I know there were at least 4-5 posts about interviews and wonder if anyone else has received acceptances and planning to attend the recruitment weekend? 

And, if this is not a good place to post this as people are waiting for results, and probably anxious/uncertain/stressed, understandably, I'm sorry, I'll post somewhere else! 

It took me 6 application cycles. I had acceptances during the 3rd (Drew and Garrett) and couldn't do it then, and then tried two more times in a different department, and somehow everything landed right this year. But, it's not an easy process, and I definitely feel that. Sending good vibes and thoughts to all of you who are waiting.

Wow that is a persistence I don't think I would've had. Congratulations on getting into a fantastic program.