PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

8 hours ago, Rabbit Run said:

Last week's interviews were just for the Hebrew Bible half of the Bible department. Not department interviews. Don't know about their decisions, but historically PTS releases decisions for all departments either the 3rd or 4th Friday of Feb.

Thanks for the update

38 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I might be mistaken but no one who applied to Yale from Yale has received interview requests. It is possible they wont, but we have not heard anything... but I could be completely out of the loop. One of our students got in UNC Chapel.  

Yale has already conducted NT interviews this week. 3 candidates were from Yale out of X amount of applicants interviewed. Also, my understanding is that interviews are a necessary part of the process if you are to be admitted. 

Edited by turktheman
Added a bit

12 minutes ago, turktheman said:

Thanks for the update

Yale has already conducted NT interviews this week. 3 candidates were from Yale out of X amount of applicants interviewed. Also, my understanding is that interviews are a necessary part of the process if you are to be admitted. 

Any idea on the Hebrew Bible interviews?

46 minutes ago, HBgrad2017 said:

So was the Yale NT interview on the 19th a false flag?

Forum is not without its trolls--some for kicks, others because a previous spurn. Over the past few cycles I've noticed that the false result submissions come after someone asks: "Has anyone heard from X yet!!" Enter the troll. 

It's also tricky because some posters are indeed legit and aren't actively posting, but when they see a request for information they say, "What the hay. I'll throw a bone." I would tell you the secret to know the difference between real and fake results, but that would mutate the trolls behaviour accordingly. 

Received unofficial word from Manitoba that I've been accepted into their Religious Studies and History Ph.D. programs. Official word (by letter) isn't slated to arrive until mid-February but because I've been accepted into both, I'm being asked to reject one within two weeks so the position can be offered to someone else in reasonable time.

Note: I originally reached out to a POI in the Religion Department expressing my interests. They endorsed it and also asked I email Prof. B. in the History Department, because they work in the same field (Prof. A said they'd also touch base with B.), just more historical than religious. This way, it would increase my chances of acceptance and I could work with the other professor, regardless of the department overseeing me.

2 hours ago, MayaK said:

Can anyone verify this? I saw a post in results that someone had an interview with their POI (4 days after the application deadline...?), but haven't seen anything else. 

From my knowledge, there's one Islam prof there, who after getting apps in, will set up a skype talk with certain students who have applied if they are particularly interested in their apps. Chapel Hill doesn't do explicit interviews, though. And as far as I know, it's just the one who does that, not the track(s). Given their trajectory over the years, I suspect, if admitted students will hear within the next week or so, as they tend to have a pretty quick turn around with decisions. But not getting an interview doesn't mean you aren't in. 

1 hour ago, Marcion said:

I might be mistaken but no one who applied to Yale from Yale has received interview requests. It is possible they wont, but we have not heard anything... but I could be completely out of the loop. One of our students got in UNC Chapel.  

They applied to the PhD at Chapel Hill? I've just seen so little traffic re: UNC, I wanted to check.

2 hours ago, Marcion said:

I was chatting with one of my professor's today and Stanford called him and my two other advisers. Apparently they are interested in me and wanted to know more. I am taking this as a good sign, but trying (and failing) not to get my hopes up.

me too! and the same stuff. I am so freaking out right now. Also, I wanted to ask, has your applyweb status changed? is there an "official transcript request" appearing? 

1 hour ago, turktheman said:

Thanks for the update

Any idea if this is true of the Am. Rel. Hist. subfield too? 

I applied to Yale in Religion (Islamic Studies) and did not read anything about interviews being a part of the process. (However, I did have an informal phone interview with the POI before submitting my application.) Is an interview a part of the process for the Religion PhD at Yale? What about Religion and NELC at Harvard? I thought they didn't do interviews. 

Damn it, I've had radio silence from all five programs I've applied to. This probably means I'm toast.

Edited by Averroes MD

12 hours ago, HBgrad2017 said:

Gotcha. So are you currently at Yale?

Yes I am currently at YDS. Hmmmm no interviews from the Yale Divinity students... Oh dear. We have been completely out of the loop if they have not interviewed YDS students yet. Or arent going too... 

11 hours ago, the.waiting.game said:

They applied to the PhD at Chapel Hill? I've just seen so little traffic re: UNC, I wanted to check.

Yeah Ehrman called him last Friday evening to offer him a spot. He waiting for Harvard and Princeton though.

11 hours ago, forgetful26 said:

me too! and the same stuff. I am so freaking out right now. Also, I wanted to ask, has your applyweb status changed? is there an "official transcript request" appearing? 

I have not checked but I am going too now!!!

3 hours ago, Marcion said:

I looked at my update and yes, it is there. They want a " Certification Service"  communication about this or if I am even in the program or if this is needed to even be considered. To be frank, I do not want to pay another $125 if I not even going to be accepted. I dunno, should I email someone at Stanford and ask them what is up?

11 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

I applied to Yale in Religion (Islamic Studies) and did not read anything about interviews being a part of the process. (However, I did have an informal phone interview with the POI before submitting my application.) Is an interview a part of the process for the Religion PhD at Yale? What about Religion and NELC at Harvard? I thought they didn't do interviews. 

Damn it, I've had radio silence from all five programs I've applied to. This probably means I'm toast.

I also applied to Yale U. Religion (Am. Rel. Hist.), and also didn't read about interviews. FWIW, I've yet to hear from any of the 8 RS programs I applied to either. It's still early (or so I'm telling myself). 

Edit: FWIW, I found this article which indicates interviews are required for all Yale Grad College departments: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2012/01/11/grad-school-divided-over-interviews/ Its from 2012 though, so who knows if the policy is still in effect. 

Edited by menge

2 hours ago, menge said:

I also applied to Yale U. Religion (Am. Rel. Hist.), and also didn't read about interviews. FWIW, I've yet to hear from any of the 8 RS programs I applied to either. It's still early (or so I'm telling myself). 

Edit: FWIW, I found this article which indicates interviews are required for all Yale Grad College departments: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2012/01/11/grad-school-divided-over-interviews/ Its from 2012 though, so who knows if the policy is still in effect. 

Damn. You'd think that this would have been listed prominently on the application page. 

Anyone know about Harvard? Is there an interview?

12 hours ago, Marcion said:

Yeah Ehrman called him last Friday evening to offer him a spot. He waiting for Harvard and Princeton though.

Thanks for the update!

4 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

Damn. You'd think that this would have been listed prominently on the application page. 

Anyone know about Harvard? Is there an interview?

Harvard didn't notify last year until late Feb. No interview there as far as I know. But my friend who got in last year was going for American REL, so it may be different. But I don't think that they do.

Gotta an invitation to prospective student weekend at Notre Dame. Anyone else gonna be there?

Also, this will be my first for this type of thing. What exactly happens at these things that makes them last 2 full days? What should I be expecting? What are they looking for?

Basically now I'm just shit-scared of blowing it and would love any advice!

9 minutes ago, HBgrad2017 said:

Gotta an invitation to prospective student weekend at Notre Dame. Anyone else gonna be there?

Also, this will be my first for this type of thing. What exactly happens at these things that makes them last 2 full days? What should I be expecting? What are they looking for?

Basically now I'm just shit-scared of blowing it and would love any advice!

I got an interview notification as well. Looking forward to it, but don't have any worthwhile advice. As far as the length, I think part of the time is spent doing a few types of tours: campus, library, housing, etc. 

On 1/27/2017 at 6:46 PM, forgetful26 said:

So I emailed the professor I am interested in working with at Stanford, she said that she had no idea about this and hold off paying for anything.

@HBgrad2017, I haven't been to the weekend at Notre Dame, but I'd expect some sort of meet and greet dinner or something with the faculty and a chance for you to ask them any questions you may have. Also, something I absolutely wish I would have thought of or someone would have told me, be prepared to talk about your research plans with your potential advisor.

9 hours ago, Marcion said:

So I emailed the professor I am interested in working with at Stanford, she said that she had no idea about this and hold off paying for anything.

Well, that's good to know. Although I am a little bit perplexed by its sudden appearance. Thank you for asking Marcion :) 

28 minutes ago, forgetful26 said:

Well, that's good to know. Although I am a little bit perplexed by its sudden appearance. Thank you for asking Marcion :) 

Not a problem. I am taking it as a good sign and trying not to panic!