PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

25 minutes ago, OneLastHope said:

Hi. I have good news to share. I've been accepted to IU's program and plan to attend. I know there were at least 4-5 posts about interviews and wonder if anyone else has received acceptances and planning to attend the recruitment weekend? 

And, if this is not a good place to post this as people are waiting for results, and probably anxious/uncertain/stressed, understandably, I'm sorry, I'll post somewhere else! 

It took me 6 application cycles. I had acceptances during the 3rd (Drew and Garrett) and couldn't do it then, and then tried two more times in a different department, and somehow everything landed right this year. But, it's not an easy process, and I definitely feel that. Sending good vibes and thoughts to all of you who are waiting.

Congratulations! That is great that everything is working out for you!

Hi all,

Anyone else going through the interview process with Emory right now for HB or going to their recruitment weekend this weekend? So far that's the only program I've heard anything from (also applied to Harvard, Union, Chicago, and BC). 

22 minutes ago, alh7pn said:

Hi all,

Anyone else going through the interview process with Emory right now for HB or going to their recruitment weekend this weekend? So far that's the only program I've heard anything from (also applied to Harvard, Union, Chicago, and BC). 

I'm going to interview this weekend at Emory in American Religions.

1 hour ago, OneLastHope said:

Hi. I have good news to share. I've been accepted to IU's program and plan to attend. I know there were at least 4-5 posts about interviews and wonder if anyone else has received acceptances and planning to attend the recruitment weekend? 

And, if this is not a good place to post this as people are waiting for results, and probably anxious/uncertain/stressed, understandably, I'm sorry, I'll post somewhere else! 

It took me 6 application cycles. I had acceptances during the 3rd (Drew and Garrett) and couldn't do it then, and then tried two more times in a different department, and somehow everything landed right this year. But, it's not an easy process, and I definitely feel that. Sending good vibes and thoughts to all of you who are waiting.

Congrats on your acceptance!! I was interviewed for American Religions, but I haven't heard back. I'm not all that surprised coz it's really not a good fit in terms of my project, etc.

3 hours ago, OneLastHope said:

Hi. I have good news to share. I've been accepted to IU's program and plan to attend. 

Congratulations! Nothing like chasing down a dream. This is my second cycle of applications, but my wife isn't going to let me reapply if I don't get in this year. It's looking like Notre Dame or bust for me. 

6 hours ago, OneLastHope said:

I also got an interview but I have yet to hear back whether I am accepted or not. What subfield are you?

1 hour ago, Still.Waiting said:

Anyone else have any word on Duke's ThD or PhD programs?

PhD invites to the prospective student weekend have already been sent out for all tracks (the weekend is Feb 17-18). I don't know about ThD (they usually lag behind the PhD). Wait list for PhD will probably go out when those invited to the prospective student weekend get their official offer letters (usually about 1 to 2 weeks after the student weekend).

Hey everyone, long-term lurker, first time poster. Anyone else waiting to hear back from: UCSB, Rice, UVA, or Harvard? I've seen a few of those mentioned above, although I must admit I'm starting to get a little nervous that I have heard nothing about any interviews... :wacko:

Thanks to everybody for posting their info! I've been reading every precious drop. Waiting is hard.

The first response from programs that I've applied to has been from Johns Hopkins (Near Eastern Studies dept), informing me that I am on the short list (no guarantee of acceptance), and that they won't make decisions for a few more weeks (until they know their funding). Its nice to hear something, even if its not an acceptance.

On January 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM, MayaK said:

Can anyone verify this? I saw a post in results that someone had an interview with their POI (4 days after the application deadline...?), but haven't seen anything else. 

I can verify. There has been one acceptance sent out.

4 hours ago, mattieb said:

I also got an interview but I have yet to hear back whether I am accepted or not. What subfield are you?

Religion in the Americas. I got an email. It had all the documents and such, and was official. I wonder how many people they interviewed...?

13 hours ago, bijou2017 said:

Hey everyone, long-term lurker, first time poster. Anyone else waiting to hear back from: UCSB, Rice, UVA, or Harvard? I've seen a few of those mentioned above, although I must admit I'm starting to get a little nervous that I have heard nothing about any interviews... :wacko:

I don't believe UVA interviews either (though some here have mentioned that might be changing) and rumor has it that they'll be deciding within the next week.

11 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

I don't believe UVA interviews either (though some here have mentioned that might be changing) and rumor has it that they'll be deciding within the next week.

It's entirely possible that UVA won't conduct interviews or that they only interview certain subfields. I think last year someone applying to JCA was interviewed early in January and heard back the first couple of days in February. That of course could be an outlier, but there also the chance that they already have interviewed someone for this application season and that person doesn't frequent Gradcafe. I would be interested to know if an interview for JCA is indeed a part of the process now. I don't think it is for the rest of the subfields. All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone heard from them this week or next. 

What is your subfield/ interests? I think Rice's program is a little too new and unknown to show results here. Much like Loyola University of Chicago in NT. I remember last year about a few applicants to UCSB commenting a bit on the forum. Check last year's PhD application thread. Don't expect anything from Harvard for a couple of more weeks or the end of February. They don't do interviews, so no worries on that front.

16 minutes ago, turktheman said:

It's entirely possible that UVA won't conduct interviews or that they only interview certain subfields. I think last year someone applying to JCA was interviewed early in January and heard back the first couple of days in February. That of course could be an outlier, but there also the chance that they already have interviewed someone for this application season and that person doesn't frequent Gradcafe. I would be interested to know if an interview for JCA is indeed a part of the process now. I don't think it is for the rest of the subfields. All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone heard from them this week or next. 

What is your subfield/ interests? I think Rice's program is a little too new and unknown to show results here. Much like Loyola University of Chicago in NT. I remember last year about a few applicants to UCSB commenting a bit on the forum. Check last year's PhD application thread. Don't expect anything from Harvard for a couple of more weeks or the end of February. They don't do interviews, so no worries on that front.

When I visited UVA, everyone said they did not do interviews. This could change of course, but when I went to UVA to check it out, none of the Ph.D. students had done it.

Rice's program in the History of American Religion is brand new, this is their first year. I have applied to it, pretty much as a safety option. What makes me nervous about it is the lack of faculty but it is exciting because of some of the new directions they want. According to my meeting with the faculty, they are planning to make it financially alluring for students to come to Rice. 

24 minutes ago, Marcion said:

When I visited UVA, everyone said they did not do interviews. This could change of course, but when I went to UVA to check it out, none of the Ph.D. students had done it.

Things could change, but I think for most of the subfields they don't do interviews. The only possible exception is JCA, which someone last year in the results was pretty adamant about having been interviewed for that subfield. He posted first on 01/11/2016 listing a Skype interview. Apparently, he was accepted 02/02/2016. I would normally think this was a troll, but he/she was the first of a few to also list official acceptances in early February where he/she reiterated that they interviewed for the spot. Could be a one-off thing, but who knows. 

8 minutes ago, turktheman said:

Things could change, but I think for most of the subfields they don't do interviews. The only possible exception is JCA, which someone last year in the results was pretty adamant about having been interviewed for that subfield. He posted first on 01/11/2016 listing a Skype interview. Apparently, he was accepted 02/02/2016. I would normally think this was a troll, but he/she was the first of a few to also list official acceptances in early February where he/she reiterated that they interviewed for the spot. Could be a one-off thing, but who knows. 

I would not be surprised if Religions in the Americas gets interviews eventually, as they have are expanding that field with more faculty.

1 hour ago, turktheman said:

My interests are Afro-Diasporic religions in contemporary North America. Thanks for the rest of the tips! I come from a pretty small undergrad only Religious Studies department, so I'm the only one going through grad school applications as far as I know, which means I feel a little lost sometimes about what exactly to expect.

18 hours ago, bijou2017 said:

I just got an email that Harvard and the CSR is unable to accept me for the PhD program, although I can basically fill out a new application for the Masters degree program. Does anyone have any experience with this? Like, is this just a formality type of thing or do they recommend it because they think that I could actually get into that program?

11 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

I just got an email that Harvard and the CSR is unable to accept me for the PhD program, although I can basically fill out a new application for the Masters degree program. Does anyone have any experience with this? Like, is this just a formality type of thing or do they recommend it because they think that I could actually get into that program?

My friend applied to the PhD program and was shunted to the master's program just like you. He was subsequently accepted to it. I don't know whether or not this shunting is automatic or not. However, if you are interested in doing the master's you should absolutely take advantage of this and apply. 

12 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

From your previous post it seems like you are applying straight from undergrad? This could be one reason why. While most programs say they accept applicants without MA's, in practice I think many admitted to PhD's have at least one M* degree.