MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

4 hours ago, ZahP said:

The professors are good, the resources are not and Austin has no art scene whatsoever. I just felt isolated but it wasn't terrible 3/5 stars

Thank you for the info!! 

1 hour ago, artdreamer said:

Hi everybody. Congratulation to those of you who are accepted or interviewed. 

I haven't received any feedback from any of the universities I've applied for, so I lost my hopes and think maybe I'm not right for these programs. Seeing other's works and also some MFA students' works I realized my art works are very different from others (I don't mean in a good way). To be honest I do not know what type of art works these programs are looking for. I'm a middle eastern and maybe I have another definition of art in my mind. Right now I live in US as an international (F2 visa holder) and I really want to use my opportunity here and open my way to the art world. I don't know any artists in US who can criticize my art. If any of you likes to see my works (my portfolio) and guide me how I should change them to be better or what is wrong about my art, I will be very glad and thankful. 

Wish you all reach your goals and dreams.

Hi! Id love to see your work! 

4 hours ago, ZahP said:

The professors are good, the resources are not and Austin has no art scene whatsoever. I just felt isolated but it wasn't terrible 3/5 stars

For this reason i am hesitant to go to uw in seattle. I feel like its isolated, and yeah i can go to LA, but i really dont want to. Lol. 

1 hour ago, artdreamer said:

I haven't received any feedback from any of the universities I've applied for, so I lost my hopes and think maybe I'm not right for these programs. Seeing other's works and also some MFA students' works I realized my art works are very different from others (I don't mean in a good way). To be honest I do not know what type of art works these programs are looking for. I'm a middle eastern and maybe I have another definition of art in my mind. Right now I live in US as an international (F2 visa holder) and I really want to use my opportunity here and open my way to the art world. I don't know any artists in US who can criticize my art. If any of you likes to see my works (my portfolio) and guide me how I should change them to be better or what is wrong about my art, I will be very glad and thankful. 

You should know that many times acceptance isn't really a value judgement on your work - you could be a talented artist but may not fit what the school wants. As someone who didn't study art in undergrad I will second the comment about learning to speak/write (and think!) about your work. There really is an entrenched language surrounding art in academia, and if you don't learn how to use it to your advantage it could be awhile before you get anywhere with your work in an academic context. 

It took me a few years to learn how to speak about my work proficiently enough - and I still feel uncomfortable about it, mostly because my work is rapidly evolving and tends to be experimental and multi-faceted. The idea of speaking about it in general terms always seems to shortchange something. In the end we are artists, not writers. We turn to art because words fall short for us generally - but that doesn't mean we can avoid them. I really doubt that your country of origin and your idea of art would be cause not to get in (if that is the case, you've still gotta wait!), it's possible that whatever your ideas about art and how you express them, they just may not be placed in proper academic context. Your work should also demonstrate a knowledge of where it fits with other similar works and where you are trying to do new things and push the mediums forward - most good art schools will want to see that you are on a path towards truly unique and original works.

Also, many people will apply to MFA programs for a few years before attending - because they don't get in, they don't get funding, a school doesn't end up being a good fit, life happens, etc. You learn something every application cycle - take it as an opportunity to think about how you'll evolve for the next cycle and keep making new work and research, research all the schools out there and try to get an idea of what institutions might be most receptive to your take on things. 

I am not a painter/sculptor (photo is my primary medium) but if you want to send me what you have via a private message go for it and I'll give you my thoughts. But one thing - there is not a damn thing wrong with your art. If it's honest work and shows what you're interested in and you care about it, there's nothing wrong with it. The fact that you make it from an honest place makes it right.

Edited by felixo

12 hours ago, ZahP said:

Congrats, I think you're an odd duck like me. I do artgames so not many people in this forum are applying to the same programs even though it's an mfa- and the media arts forum is a ghost town :P

Totally! It's you and me here I guess hahaha What schools did you apply to!?

On February 27, 2017 at 0:03 PM, riverrun said:

First year applying for MFA. Just wondering if it's time to abandon hope if I haven't been contacted yet...How late do these notifications go out? 

I was notified of admission as late as April 1 on my last round of applications, from Columbia. That was the outlier; I had heard from my other programs by mid-March. 

11 hours ago, felixo said:

You should know that many times acceptance isn't really a value judgement on your work - you could be a talented artist but may not fit what the school wants. As someone who didn't study art in undergrad I will second the comment about learning to speak/write (and think!) about your work. There really is an entrenched language surrounding art in academia, and if you don't learn how to use it to your advantage it could be awhile before you get anywhere with your work in an academic context. 

It took me a few years to learn how to speak about my work proficiently enough - and I still feel uncomfortable about it, mostly because my work is rapidly evolving and tends to be experimental and multi-faceted. The idea of speaking about it in general terms always seems to shortchange something. In the end we are artists, not writers. We turn to art because words fall short for us generally - but that doesn't mean we can avoid them. I really doubt that your country of origin and your idea of art would be cause not to get in (if that is the case, you've still gotta wait!), it's possible that whatever your ideas about art and how you express them, they just may not be placed in proper academic context. Your work should also demonstrate a knowledge of where it fits with other similar works and where you are trying to do new things and push the mediums forward - most good art schools will want to see that you are on a path towards truly unique and original works.

Also, many people will apply to MFA programs for a few years before attending - because they don't get in, they don't get funding, a school doesn't end up being a good fit, life happens, etc. You learn something every application cycle - take it as an opportunity to think about how you'll evolve for the next cycle and keep making new work and research, research all the schools out there and try to get an idea of what institutions might be most receptive to your take on things. 

I am not a painter/sculptor (photo is my primary medium) but if you want to send me what you have via a private message go for it and I'll give you my thoughts. But one thing - there is not a damn thing wrong with your art. If it's honest work and shows what you're interested in and you care about it, there's nothing wrong with it. The fact that you make it from an honest place makes it right.

13 hours ago, artdreamer said:

Hey artdreamer,  I want to share this link with you: https://news.artnet.com/app/news-upload/2016/08/top-500-american-artists-since-1966-final.pdf

It is rather strange to rank people in the art world but we can all agree that some of the names on the top of list are very much recognisable. See how many successful artists have no MFA? In the art world, the only thing that matters is your work. Yes- 2 years at Yale or Columbia could be nice, but only if the course is right for you. Don't take the rejection as a sign that you are not good enough. You might have things to work on, but you are never not good enough! Also- If you want to message your link to your portfolio, I will be very happy to write you back with my share of say. I'm a painter too!

Edited by 7edkim

14 hours ago, artdreamer said:

Do you have a website or an online portfolio? Inbox me, let's chat. 

Dang, just got another rejection. This time from Hunter. I think it is a good fit so it stings a little, less so than the first rejection, so a marked increase in my resilience is one take-away from this stressful process. This is my first cycle and I thought I’d have some choices by now. I applied to 9 programs and have been rejected from 4, invited to interview at 2 and haven’t heard boo from the remaining three. I have heard that toughening-up the hide is necessary to survive the art world and to this end I am off to a good start :mellow: Silly but true. Also, there have been other marked progressions in my practice, obvious in retrospect, but unexpected at the outset. First, I learned to be comfortable talking about my work. The first essay (Yale) was the hardest and the clumsiest. I figured I’d get the important one out of the way and I would use whatever smart stuff I came up with for all my applications.  It turned out that schools want different information, and after amending, rewriting, and surmising, many times over, my essays got good at the end of the submission process -when the program mattered the least to me. Of course, It doesn’t mean that My UD essay would have wowed the folks at Yale, or that I’d get accepted into my less desirable program. We all know that qualification for candidacy does not guarantee selection.  The point is that I’ve developed fluency when discussing my own visual language, intention, and process. This has given my work a voice it didn’t have, and my work is stronger as a result. So that’s the other thing. My work got better after my applications were in.

Totally. All the documentation, descriptions, resizing, personal statements, SOP’s, and artist’s statements, clarified what my work was about in a way that made is easier to see where it should be going and my work is starting to look as cohesive as I wished it was when I put the application packages together. All this is to say that, if I don’t get any offers I can afford, or any offers at all, I am looking forward with a new-found confidence despite the rejections. This on-line community has been a great help and congratulations to all the folks who have received offers!! 

Edited by Gwhar1

15 hours ago, artdreamer said:

Hey, I'd love to see your work! Feel free to PM me.

Completely agree with what's been said about the writing / application process positively channelling into work. I took a short break after finishing my applications and jumped right back into the studio. Partially it was to make new work for interviews, but it was also because I felt really invigorated by the writing (after getting over the exhaustion of course! :D) . It was a little bit like "ah! that's why I've been doing that!" The work I've made in the past month and a half feels a lot more pointed. I know that I'm going to dig myself back into a place where I'll need to sit back and go through that writing/thinking phase again, but that's how it goes & is a good thing. 

On another note—had my Yale interview yesterday morning! It felt like it went really well. The atmosphere was conversational & friendly, but with questions that were very content-heavy & super specific to my work. I was blown away by how invested the dialogue seemed. Every time I've visited Yale, I feel like I leave being more & more enamored with the program. Everyone I met was really interesting & intelligent, but not super pretentious. It's going to be interesting to compare & contrast with Rutgers. Excited to meet some of you there! 

35 minutes ago, bspesak said:

Hi All,

I would really love some help from anyone with an opinion on the matter...

Pratt/NYU/Parsons

MFA Studio Art - Photography

Where would you go and why?

THANK YOU!

B

www.blainespesak.com

Hi did you apply to NYU and heard back? 

16 hours ago, Kamari said:

Totally! It's you and me here I guess hahaha What schools did you apply to!?

USC Interactive Media and Game Design, UCLA Design Media Arts, UCSC Digital Arts and New Media, NYU Tisch Arts Game Center, UCSD Visual Arts.
So far I've been accepted to USC, UCSC and NYU- I interview with UCSD this weekend and expect to be accepted to UCLA in the coming weeks as the interview went really well :)

1 hour ago, deepfriedcatheads said:

I got accepted to RISD Printmaking w/o interview (???) I am actually surprised that almost everyone who got contacted by RISD said they had an interview. Anyway no news from financial aid yet.

How were you notified? Email or snail mail letter?

so I've known I was rejected from Hunter for a week or two now, since I knew all interview invites had gone out. 

but I got my first official notice of rejection yesterday...but not from someone in the art/painting dept....it was someone from their masters of teaching program, which I thought was really odd. not only that, but they were encouraging me/offering that I could transfer my application, free of charge, to be considered for that program instead- what?!

then I get a rejection again today,  this time from the graduate art department- with a very blunt subject line " Application declined for Hunter MFA 2017-2018 admissions " folllowed by an email with several typos. 

kind of disappointing, after all the effort I put into my app, you'd think they'd do a better job at communicating. .. 

(sorry for the non-story, just figured this forum was a better place for me to vent than directly to the admissions peeps.. lol)