MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

1 hour ago, This guy said:

Waitlisted for Cornell. This is my top choice. I want this

1 hour ago, chikapea said:

Another waitlist...Cornell. :/ would love to know if someone declines their offer. ;) 

I'll join your club! Also waitlisted at Cornell. 

11 minutes ago, Echo_in_ground said:

It's not really a matter of lacking in commitment to the work, it's cost and practicality that's making me hesitate. The interviewer spoke of students commuting from Ireland as well as students having three jobs while attending.

It'll be the first time I'll be going into any real debt since my previous two degrees were free thanks to the EU, that's probably why I feel a little spooked. I'm currently in London working on a project with a gallery so it's been eye opening seeing the cost of living expenses while here. 

When it comes to taking on debt it is a risk. I know people who take on debt and get lucky with their work being sold and are able to pay their debt off fairly quickly. There are also people who take on debt and aren't able to pay it off as quickly. In the end it is a gamble. 

3 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I've got my Hunter interview tomorrow and I feel so weird about it. The grad admin person there seems so weird in all of our communications, so many mistakes that aren't little whoopsies. Today was a shit show in terms of emails and tomorrow is my interview. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I had the same problem with Hunter. I received a few e-mails today with my interview group being switched. Very weird. 

3 hours ago, dmirko said:

I'm having second thoughts about the cities I might move to, but if I don't get into those programs I'll be scrambling for Winter session admission in Germany or elsewhere in EU. So, I think you have normal nerves and should focus on your professional goals, expensive city or not. :) 

So happy I'm not the only one feeling left alone in a desert with no water.

raw

Thanks dmirko, I think location/environment has such a huge effect on the work we make because we can't make work inside a bubble and that extends beyond the colleges' walls for sure. Have you looked into Rotterdam? I think they're still accepting submissions if you're interested and I've known people to have positive experiences there.

I also had some insider info from current students from the RCA who are worried about increasing intake numbers and lack of space and how it's affecting the students works in a negative way, with work shaped to suit the shrinking spaces. I was super excited for this masters but I want my work to evolve for the better, not just to fit within the institutions capabilities. I have hope that I will be able to make it work though, despite the challenges so I think I'll be going for it. 

1 minute ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I am so disinterested at this point that I almost want my application fee back.

I just don't like how they wanted me to print a physical copy of my portfolio for the interview despite sending a portfolio in slideroom. Bringing physical stuff is a big reason I never applied to Yale. It becomes an unnecessary hassle. 

11 minutes ago, Dreaminghigh said:

When it comes to taking on debt it is a risk. I know people who take on debt and get lucky with their work being sold and are able to pay their debt off fairly quickly. There are also people who take on debt and aren't able to pay it off as quickly. In the end it is a gamble. 

It's also I'm afraid to say possible I will not be able to get a loan to cover the fees of the masters, given Brexit potentially cutting off student loan funding to EU citizens and the fact despite living in the UK for 7 years, I'm from another EU country. It was something they brought up in my interview actually but I can't see that any changes to that loan system happening within the next six months but might only effect my second year.  

I'm going to just have to see what happens! Cheers for the reply

Edited by Echo_in_ground

So I found out I'm waitlisted for RISD Photo yesterday, and haven't had a word back since my Skype interviews with SAIC Photo (24th Feb) and Rutgers (1st March) Starting to get a little paranoid :\ Has anyone heard anything from these schools either way?

9 minutes ago, jakersilby said:

So I found out I'm waitlisted for RISD Photo yesterday, and haven't had a word back since my Skype interviews with SAIC Photo (24th Feb) and Rutgers (1st March) Starting to get a little paranoid :\ Has anyone heard anything from these schools either way?

Lounyc a few pages back posted that they got a call from Rutgers on Sunday with an acceptance offer. One of the students told me on interview day that they will accept people through as late as May with the turnover of those who don't end up matriculating. The faculty supposedly decided that day who the first 14 accepted students would be. I'm not sure if they'll send out rejections at all until the class is finalized. Stressful!! Right now I'm kind of assuming I didn't make the first cut, but holding onto a little bit of hope. 

Edited by sylviecerise

23 minutes ago, Dreaminghigh said:

I had the same problem with Hunter. I received a few e-mails today with my interview group being switched. Very weird. 

21 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I am so disinterested at this point that I almost want my application fee back.

Wow sorry you guys are having such issues with Hunter. Obviously it's supposed to be a great program, but if this is how they handle applications, I'd be afraid to see how the administration of the program itself runs...

Hi guys, I'm new to the party. I have an interview with SUNY Purchase tomorrow, and IM FREAKING OUT. I had one interview with UCONN a week or so ago that went well, but I feel like it was way more casual and laid back than I expect purchase to be. Does anyone know what they typically ask at the interview? And what they are looking for that is different from your application? It seems so unnecessary and repetitive to have interviews I feel.

Hunter: Rejected

WashU: Rejected

VCU: Rejected

UConn: Accepted

Suny New Paltz: Accepted

Suny Albany: waitlisted

Suny Purchase: Interview

Delaware: no response

Brooklyn College: no response

13 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Lounyc a few pages back posted that they got a call from Rutgers on Sunday with an acceptance offer. One of the students told me on interview day that they will accept people through as late as May with the turnover of those who don't end up matriculating. The faculty supposedly decided that day who the first 14 accepted students would be. I'm not sure if they'll send out rejections at all until the class is finalized. Stressful!! Right now I'm kind of assuming I didn't make the first cut, but holding onto a little bit of hope. 

Oh ok that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up! Although, like you say, Stressful haha. I didn't realize the process would be this drawn out! 

I got the same!!!! and I was so confused.. im assuming that they need people for that program. I expressed an interest in teaching, so I was thinking that was why, did you also?

23 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Right now I'm kind of assuming I didn't make the first cut, but holding onto a little bit of hope. 

Hey Sylvie, when did you hear from UCLA? Did you interview with them? Have you seen their graduate facilities? I heard they are moving the students and will have renovations for up to three years, so if true the chance that the graduate studios will be fully stocked and ready to go, are low. Anyone else have info on this?  

Hunter is a mess. Their rejection email was full of grammatical errors and typos, and like others, they had the nerve to send me another email asking me to transfer into an art education program. Even if I got in, I wouldn't go somewhere that can't at least spell check in this day and age...

3 minutes ago, Artsy2017 said:

Hey Sylvie, when did you hear from UCLA? Did you interview with them? Have you seen their graduate facilities? I heard they are moving the students and will have renovations for up to three years, so if true the chance that the graduate studios will be fully stocked and ready to go, are low. Anyone else have info on this?  

Oh sorry I was talking about Rutgers!!! I haven't heard a peep from UCLA. I have seen the studios in Culver City before, but didn't have any idea they were moving people. Are they trying to pull everyone to the main UCLA campus? 

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I've got my Hunter interview tomorrow and I feel so weird about it. The grad admin person there seems so weird in all of our communications, so many mistakes that aren't little whoopsies. Today was a shit show in terms of emails and tomorrow is my interview. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I had the exact same experience........ 

4 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Oh sorry I was talking about Rutgers!!! I haven't heard a peep from UCLA. I have seen the studios in Culver City before, but didn't have any idea they were moving people. Are they trying to pull everyone to the main UCLA campus? 

Howdy! In my opinion, UCLA has some of the worst grad studio I've ever seen. So much so that an oober rich alum was shocked when she visited recently and saw them, donating $20 million to UCLA to build new graduate facilities. From my understanding, the new building will use the old one's core and expand upon it, so they're moving students into makeshift studios during the several years of construction. So anyone who's applying this year won't ever get to use the fancy new facilities that will be ready in however many years. You can read about it here http://www.latimes.com/local/education/higher-ed/la-et-cm-ucla-graduate-art-studios-20160510-snap-story.html.

4 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Howdy! In my opinion, UCLA has some of the worst grad studio I've ever seen. So much so that an oober rich alum was shocked when she visited recently and saw them, donating $20 million to UCLA to build new graduate facilities. From my understanding, the new building will use the old one's core and expand upon it, so they're moving students into makeshift studios during the several years of construction. So anyone who's applying this year won't ever get to use the fancy new facilities that will be ready in however many years. You can read about it here http://www.latimes.com/local/education/higher-ed/la-et-cm-ucla-graduate-art-studios-20160510-snap-story.html.

Wow! That's really exciting, it's a rare occurrence to see such a big investment into MFA programs. I didn't think the studios looked that bad, though I was mostly paying attention to the size. :D Leaks & poor ventilation sounds pretty terrible.

On 3/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, jguar4 said:

Howdy everyone, I have been reading the more resent posts for a couple days now. Im applying for printmaking, so far I have gotten rejected from one place and have an interview at purchase. I haven't heard back from Uconn, Ohio state and Indiana Bloomington yet. Purchase was the only application that I didn't list the size or medium of my pieces.

Hey when is your interview with purchase?! Mine is tomorrow. I was accepted to UConn March 2, and I had an interview on Feb 13, but for painting, maybe the printmaking dept. is different?

On 3/6/2017 at 7:37 PM, thiswildballoon said:

I saw someone posted about Tyler Painting and I got an email from them saying they had not made decisions yet and that they will not be until the end up March ugh. Has anyone applied to University of Delaware??

I applied to delware, nothing yet!

Edited by Julia_gee

On 3/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, dunton said:

Waitlisted at Northwestern. Waitlisted at every school I've applied to.  This is my third time applying and I'm 35 and not getting younger and am pretty broken hearted. ?

People who are waitlisted are totally callled all the time!!! thats way better than a rejection!!

1 hour ago, Echo_in_ground said:

Thanks dmirko, I think location/environment has such a huge effect on the work we make because we can't make work inside a bubble and that extends beyond the colleges' walls for sure. Have you looked into Rotterdam? I think they're still accepting submissions if you're interested and I've known people to have positive experiences there.

I also had some insider info from current students from the RCA who are worried about increasing intake numbers and lack of space and how it's affecting the students works in a negative way, with work shaped to suit the shrinking spaces. I was super excited for this masters but I want my work to evolve for the better, not just to fit within the institutions capabilities. I have hope that I will be able to make it work though, despite the challenges so I think I'll be going for it. 

Thank you Echo, I will look into those, I have not considered European schools yet, I'm holding my breath for UNLV (Vegas) and SMFA (Boston), I'm pretty sure I'll get good news. BUT if I don't get in, since I have student loans, if I do end up needing to look for other options it needs to be a school that participates with the US for an "in-school deferral" of said loans. Most in Germany are on the list. And on top of that, it needs to be an English taught program; I might even look beyond art. But I'm not there yet.

I think UNLV is my best hope because Boston is much more expensive and cold... In Germany I think the school would be way cheaper but there's the extra costs of living abroad and crossing the pond.