MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

36 minutes ago, noke_04 said:

Been following this particular thread for a couple of days now, and I'm not sure if it's helping my anxiety with the waiting process.

Ok to alleviate anxiety and get off the topic of acceptance and rejections for a sec. how about a corny poem?

The more degrees I get, the more I learn

The more I learn, the more I forget

The more I forget, the less I know

So, why get those darn degrees?!

Congrats on everyone's acceptances.

I was also waitlisted at Cornell--it looks like they waitlist as many people as they accept...or nearly?

I'm actually relieved I didn't get in...I really thought it'd be a good fit for me via the website description but when I went there, the facilities seem outdated and overall Ithaca seemed so gloomy (maybe because it was an overcast day?) and I really couldn't wait to get out of there. Also one of the professors behaved in a downright rude and unprofessional manner which signaled to me this ain't for me. If it was ego that drove that behavior then, dear god, I dodged a bullet...especially since I find her work so mediocre to begin with. And that's just it...I'm not impressed with any of the professors work and several of them don't seem to show their work beyond Cornell's galleries which doesn't seem a good sign. (I also read there Rate Your Professors reviews...ha ha). A few of the current students' work looks really interesting...but then a few of them seem almost like cliched art school types, if that makes sense (you've seen this sort of thing a million times before), and I really have to wonder how they were considered the strongest out of dozens of applications. Yup, it's all subjective but Cornell doesn't seem all that popular as an art school and perhaps I've seen why. Sorry to be so negative. If I do get in off the waitlist, I won't be accepting so there's one less for others who had a more positive experience there to worry about.

Edited by ArtStarMaker
typo

6 hours ago, ArtStarMaker said:

Congrats on everyone's acceptances.

I was also waitlisted at Cornell--it looks like they waitlist as many people as they accept...or nearly?

I'm actually relieved I didn't get in...I really thought it'd be a good fit for me via the website description but when I went there, the facilities seem outdated and overall Ithaca seemed so gloomy (maybe because it was an overcast day?) and I really couldn't wait to get out of there. Also one of the professors behaved in a downright rude and unprofessional manner which signaled to me this ain't for me. If it was ego that drove that behavior then, dear god, I dodged a bullet...especially since I find her work so mediocre to begin with. And that's just it...I'm not impressed with any of the professors work and several of them don't seem to show their work beyond Cornell's galleries which doesn't seem a good sign. (I also read there Rate Your Professors reviews...ha ha). A few of the current students' work looks really interesting...but then a few of them seem almost like cliched art school types, if that makes sense (you've seen this sort of thing a million times before), and I really have to wonder how they were considered the strongest out of dozens of applications. Yup, it's all subjective but Cornell doesn't seem all that popular as an art school and perhaps I've seen why. Sorry to be so negative. If I do get in off the waitlist, I won't be accepting so there's one less for others who had a more positive experience there to worry about.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm sorry that it was so disappointing. :/  I read something a few years back on the forum that echoes this. I was hoping it may have changed since then. Did you interview with them or just visit? I didn't interview and was waitlisted which seems really strange to me. 

Anyways I am waitlisted at several schools. Accepted to BU for painting. I think this is an up and coming program with Josephine Halvorson as the new chair. Still waiting to hear from Oregon and UCSB. Any word on these two after interviews? 

UCLA- Rejected :/ I figured as much since I didn't get an invite to interview, but the official letter still some ouches. At least it was a nice letter. 

13 hours ago, Dreaminghigh said:

I had the same problem with Hunter. I received a few e-mails today with my interview group being switched. Very weird. 

I've been living in NYC for the past 15 years-- so I think what's going on with Hunter is symptomatic of a larger cultural thing here in the city. Hunter is the cheap school, and it's a city school, and the low cost is a huge reason why the program has become so competitive. But the communication issues are probably because there is one person being asked to to way more that she can possibly handle. I suspect it's symptom of having too much work on the shoulders of one person, because the program can't afford to add more staff. This happens in the city constantly, and is definitely a product of NYC culture. AND, I'm sure this does represent how other facilities at Hunter work-- they probably don't have the resources of more expensive programs inside of wealthy universities. But you'd get to be in NYC for your MFA, and honestly a lot of people in the art world here think Hunter is a way more interesting program than Columbia, so that's something too. Hunter is edgy and raw, where Columbia is elite.

30 minutes ago, Gwhar1 said:

UCLA- Rejected :/ I figured as much since I didn't get an invite to interview, but the official letter still some ouches. At least it was a nice letter. 

Sorry to hear it. :(( These applications are such an intense process on dealing with self-doubt, don't put your self low for a rejection. It is like someone said in this thread, the admissions have a clear idea of the profiles they want for a class, which does mean that a lot of great artists can be rejected for the sake of group dynamic. 

Regarding the letter, did it arrive today? I called them yesterday and they said results would come until wednesday next week the latest. And it would be notified by email. So I'm confused now that you got it by letter?

Edited by eyerolling
Spelling

32 minutes ago, hastr683 said:

I've been living in NYC for the past 15 years-- so I think what's going on with Hunter is symptomatic of a larger cultural thing here in the city. Hunter is the cheap school, and it's a city school, and the low cost is a huge reason why the program has become so competitive. But the communication issues are probably because there is one person being asked to to way more that she can possibly handle. I suspect it's symptom of having too much work on the shoulders of one person, because the program can't afford to add more staff. This happens in the city constantly, and is definitely a product of NYC culture. AND, I'm sure this does represent how other facilities at Hunter work-- they probably don't have the resources of more expensive programs inside of wealthy universities. But you'd get to be in NYC for your MFA, and honestly a lot of people in the art world here think Hunter is a way more interesting program than Columbia, so that's something too. Hunter is edgy and raw, where Columbia is elite.

You said this quite beautifully. I called a friend of mine yesterday just so that I don't come across as reactionary when I responded to the email and my friend pointed out that maybe she's (Hunter's admin person) an artist doing a shitty office job to make ends meat, that isn't even paying her enough but working her like a donkey. On that note, I totally understood because chances are we've all probably been there. As to whether Hunter is more interesting than Columbia, it is like comparing apples to oranges, all a matter of taste and opinion. 

Waitlisted at Yale (painting) -- I don't want to go to Yale so I'm very happy with that.

MICA-Accepted (with merit scholarship) 

MECA-Rejected 

CRANBROOK- (top school of choice) Interview-awaiting decision will be here by TUESDAY-eek!!

RISD-who knows. I haven't heard a peep from them...WHAT IS GOING ON?!

51 minutes ago, eyerolling said:

Sorry to hear it. :(( These applications are such an intense process on dealing with self-doubt, don't put your self low for a rejection. It is like someone said in this thread, the admissions have a clear idea of the profiles they want for a class, which does mean that a lot of great artists can be rejected for the sake of group dynamic. 

Regarding the letter, did it arrive today? I called them yesterday and they said results would come until wednesday next week the latest. And it would be notified by email. So I'm confused now that you got it by letter?

Thank you for this thoughtful response. I  am OK with how things are panning out. I applied to 9 programs and have been rejected from all the biggies except I Interviewed for Glasgow (I feel lucky to be considered by Glasgow) and next week I am being interviewed at Purchase (also not too shabby :)) - I am still in undergrad and this is my first round. I feel like my art is good, plenty of life experience, and I am semi-fluent when talking about my art. All of the work in my current portfolio is curriculum driven, I have participated in zero residencies, and there is no evidence that I make art outside of school. My current professors who have worked with me for a few years predict good things, they believe in my work and were enthusiastic about my chances but they know me already. If I get an invite to Glasgow and Purchase it will come down to affordability. If it can't be done then I'll wait till next round and that is fine with me. My work is already way better than what I was doing when I applied and my applications will be less amateurish. Of course, it would be nice to get the nod now but nobody told me it was going to be easy :)

As for the letter- it was really an email titled  UCLA Graduate Application Decision with a link directing me my app profile where there was a letter waiting for me. When I said "nice" I really meant that it was respectful. Good luck with all your apps :)

14 hours ago, Julia_gee said:

Hey when is your interview with purchase?! Mine is tomorrow. I was accepted to UConn March 2, and I had an interview on Feb 13, but for painting, maybe the printmaking dept. is different?

My interview is in person on wednesday. I still haven't heard anymore from the other schools. Im starting to think Uconn will be a rejection. Tell me how your interview goes with purchase. 

15 hours ago, Julia_gee said:

Hi guys, I'm new to the party. I have an interview with SUNY Purchase tomorrow, and IM FREAKING OUT. I had one interview with UCONN a week or so ago that went well, but I feel like it was way more casual and laid back than I expect purchase to be. Does anyone know what they typically ask at the interview? And what they are looking for that is different from your application? It seems so unnecessary and repetitive to have interviews I feel.

Hunter: Rejected

Rutgers: Rejected

VCU: Rejected

UConn: Accepted

Suny New Paltz: Accepted

Suny Albany: waitlisted

Suny Purchase: Interview

U Deleware: no response

Brooklyn College: no response

In the email from purchase about the interview they said they would be asking me about my practice, interest in graduate study, and why purchase. I don't know if this is all I will be asked and if applicants are asked different things. 

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

Thank you for this thoughtful response. I  am OK with how things are panning out. I applied to 9 programs and have been rejected from all the biggies except I Interviewed for Glasgow (I feel lucky to be considered by Glasgow) and next week I am being interviewed at Purchase (also not too shabby :)) - I am still in undergrad and this is my first round. I feel like my art is good, plenty of life experience, and I am semi-fluent when talking about my art. All of the work in my current portfolio is curriculum driven, I have participated in zero residencies, and there is no evidence that I make art outside of school. My current professors who have worked with me for a few years predict good things, they believe in my work and were enthusiastic about my chances but they know me already. If I get an invite to Glasgow and Purchase it will come down to affordability. If it can't be done then I'll wait till next round and that is fine with me. My work is already way better than what I was doing when I applied and my applications will be less amateurish. Of course, it would be nice to get the nod now but nobody told me it was going to be easy :)

As for the letter- it was really an email titled  UCLA Graduate Application Decision with a link directing me my app profile where there was a letter waiting for me. When I said "nice" I really meant that it was respectful. Good luck with all your apps :)

Hearing that you're applying while still in undergrad compels me to tell you that literally every single person I know who went directly to grad school after undergrad regrets that decision. Three of them have gone to grad school a second time in their 30s so they could get a more solid experience. You may feel ready and motivated and so pumped to dive in, but as someone who seriously considered doing that, I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for waiting and getting years of experience in "the real world". My work has dramatically changed, I'm more informed towards what I want out of graduate school, I've had the experience of balancing work and a studio practice, and I've gotten to work as a studio assistant for artists who have given me invaluable advice. Also, it's super important to make work removed from the atmosphere of an academic setting. Just saying. Don't go just because you want to streamline your education. A professor of mine said one should never go to grad school "until they're thirsty for it". 

As you said, you feel your work is already stronger now than when you applied... that can only continue to happen. And if affordability is an issue for you, you're far more likely to get funding as a more competitive applicant with stronger work. I don't want to influence you too much, but, it's a major life decision and there's nothing worse than regret... especially when it comes with a financial burden. I wish you the best!

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

But that is great that you even got all these interviews if you are still in Undergrad! Waiting won't be bad at all, it will only make your work stronger. Hope Glasgow or Purchase will bring you good news anyway. Always nice with some confirmations. And Glasgow is such a great school!  :)

I don't know why UCLA is taking so long to distribute the rejections. I saw that Poodle Doodle got his acceptance a couple of weeks ago so in one hand I can imagine now they are sending rejections and at best waitlisted? If anyone has been accepted to UCLA, please share it here? So nervous here. 

2 hours ago, kkkkk said:

Intense night. Accepted to Yale photo:lol:Rejected by UCLA :(

Same here! My partners is very happy that we aren't moving to LA lol. He was dreading the driving. @Gwhar1 I agree—their letter was quite nice. It felt a lot more warm than UCI's rejection haha

2 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

Same here!! I am still in undergrad as well and I also applied to 9 programs this round. Having been lurking in this thread for many weeks and i finally decide to share something when I see someone is in very similar situation with me.

I am international and have never studied in US before. Also my undergrad degree is on film directing, and the education is in a very traditional way( more focused on narrating a story), while I'm more interested in experimental films/video arts and art. So deciding to get a mfa in fine arts is a very important and seems urgent thing for me. I mostly applied to new genres in those programs, with a portfolio of some performances I did earlier last year, some paintings and drawings I made around the main philosophy I'm focusing on, some sculptures I made during a summer school in UK, and videos I made during undergrad. I'm already having a very clear purpose or philosophy in my art that I want to pursue and go on to study. So I always think a program in a university would best fit my needs, in that way I can go on to study all the knowledges(like some of my works are very psychology-related) that I need (with instructions) to make my art. 

Anyway, I got rejected by UCLA today. 

Interviewed with Parsons and SVA. 

And haven't heard a word from all the other schools, so I assumed all rejections.

I quite like the faculty of parsons, they really gave me the feeling that they understand what I am doing( which is so important to me) and they were all very nice and polite. 

But I am giving a lot of thoughts recent days on whether I should have a mfa this soon. Whether should I have more social experiences and do more arts then to do this, as KatieB1987 has said. Although I do want to get away from the environment I'm living in now, which is another important factor that I want to study abroad.

I guess there is a big chance that I would reapply next year. But It's so nice to speak here and have all you guys' company during this anxious waiting time. And I have learnt a lot from your previous posts. Good luck with everyone's applications and hope you make awesome arts!