MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

51 minutes ago, kkkkk said:

Interviewed at Yale today, the interview was casual and everyone was nice. It was a great experience no matter what the final result going to be. Finally, time to get drunk!

Yay!!!! Glad to hear it went well & was comfortable! 

I just got to New Haven, freaking out continuing. Practiced muttering my presentation on the train ride, probably creeped a few people out. 

4 hours ago, AKinLA said:

Has anyone heard from Cal State Long Beach Painting in either abstract or figurative tract? 

Good luck with the UCSB interview! 

Thank you! I need it. Been bombing the interviews. 

1 hour ago, kkkkk said:

Interviewed at Yale today, the interview was casual and everyone was nice. It was a great experience no matter what the final result going to be. Finally, time to get drunk!

congrats! I hope you get in.

44 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

I just got to New Haven, freaking out continuing. Practiced muttering my presentation on the train ride, probably creeped a few people out. 

Good luck!!!!! ;)

5 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

I feel you, I was talking to myself whole day that I almost lost my voice during the interview, lol... But good luck! I'm sure you'll do a great job!

5 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

congrats! I hope you get in.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Kamari said:

Anyone else get an interview with Columbia Sound Arts MFA? I just had mine this morning and there was a time mix-up (they said 3PM but meant east coast time and I'm in California) so it moved to a phone interview but the actual conversation went SUPER well so I'm trying not to stress too much. Already got into two programs at Calarts for my MFA so I might double major but Columbia is my number one.

Congrats to everyone and if there are any other Sound Artist here I'd love to know where you applied. Best of luck to everyone else too. :)

Congrats, I think you're an odd duck like me. I do artgames so not many people in this forum are applying to the same programs even though it's an mfa- and the media arts forum is a ghost town :P

Had my UC-Irvine interview via skype yesterday. I felt slightly more comfortable then at Northwestern-- with a bit more confidence having just gone through the process...

Went well-- minus completely blanking (saying I wasn't very familiar), when one of my interviewers asked if Richard Artschwager was an influence of mine. Jesh. But took it as an opportunity to talk about other influences...etc. Also - for whatever reason their video monitor wasn't working. So they could see me & I couldn't see them. Which actually made me feel more comfortable and free to speak. @hastr683 Did this (Skype issue) happen to you too?

They said interviewing 31 - accepting 10.

It IS weirdly similar --- how RA's early bio, sort of parallels mine."In 1953, he began to sell furniture, to ensure regular income, after the birth of his daughter. In 1956, he designed and manufactured simple and modern furniture. His work as a furniture maker left its mark on the art he would later create..." Ya da ya da ya da. Now I keep running through my head (like a crazy person), what I might have said, had I known a little more about him and his past.

RE: Northwestern - was thankful to be there in person, to get a general vibe. Everyone very welcoming/warm for the most part & was nice to see some of their new facilities. @dunton I was told we'd be notified before 3/15, but possibly sooner.

Anyways -- time to wait. 

No word from UC Riverside, UCLA or Iowa. 

Edited by Cengstro

Hi new on here! 

Has anyone heard from UT Austin for sculpture? I had an interview a while back

So far heard from 

U of Washington -accepted (no interview)

OSU -accepted 

33 minutes ago, arteeest said:

Hi new on here! 

So far heard from 

OSU -accepted 

Hi. I'm also waiting to hear from UT Austin for painting. Looking at last year's applicants, it seems like everyone was notified before March 3rd.  So hopefully we will hear this week. 

14 minutes ago, Chrisel said:

Hi. I'm also waiting to hear from UT Austin for painting. Looking at last year's applicants, it seems like everyone was notified before March 3rd.  So hopefully we will hear this week. 

I went to UT for undergrad...it was...interesting.

@Cengstro

I didn't have a problem with the Skype connection from Irvine. They told me the same stuff about the number of Interviewees-- they also said they would not be making a decision until March 15th or later. 

I felt very comfortable talking to them. They obviously were familiar with my work and seemed very genuinely interested in what I had to say. Maybe that is their general vibe if you experienced this too @Cengstro, so it might be hard to really get a sense of how we did.

This is contrast to UMich, where I had the sense that the interviewers wanted to stump me and challenge me with their questions. I've heard from people who have applied in previous years that that is not necessarily a bad thing, some programs want to see if you have the confidence to deal with negative feedback. That said, I feel like it might also reflect on the culture of the school, and a university that is more entrenched in Academia, where you have to fight and defend your ideas. Not sure if other UMich people had a similar experience.

3 hours ago, arteeest said:

Hi new on here! 

So far heard from 

OSU -accepted 

Did u contact uw people back?

4 hours ago, Chrisel said:

Oh goodness... that doesn't sound good? ?  

The professors are good, the resources are not and Austin has no art scene whatsoever. I just felt isolated but it wasn't terrible 3/5 stars

Hi everybody. Congratulation to those of you who are accepted or interviewed. 

I haven't received any feedback from any of the universities I've applied for, so I lost my hopes and think maybe I'm not right for these programs. Seeing other's works and also some MFA students' works I realized my art works are very different from others (I don't mean in a good way). To be honest I do not know what type of art works these programs are looking for. I'm a middle eastern and maybe I have another definition of art in my mind. Right now I live in US as an international (F2 visa holder) and I really want to use my opportunity here and open my way to the art world. I don't know any artists in US who can criticize my art. If any of you likes to see my works (my portfolio) and guide me how I should change them to be better or what is wrong about my art, I will be very glad and thankful. 

Wish you all reach your goals and dreams.

42 minutes ago, artdreamer said:

Hi everybody. Congratulation to those of you who are accepted or interviewed. 

I haven't received any feedback from any of the universities I've applied for, so I lost my hopes and think maybe I'm not right for these programs. Seeing other's works and also some MFA students' works I realized my art works are very different from others (I don't mean in a good way). To be honest I do not know what type of art works these programs are looking for. I'm a middle eastern and maybe I have another definition of art in my mind. Right now I live in US as an international (F2 visa holder) and I really want to use my opportunity here and open my way to the art world. I don't know any artists in US who can criticize my art. If any of you likes to see my works (my portfolio) and guide me how I should change them to be better or what is wrong about my art, I will be very glad and thankful. 

Wish you all reach your goals and dreams.

I wouldn't jump to thinking there's anything "wrong" with your work! It might just mean that you need to research which programs are the right fit for the work you're doing. It could also just come down to the way you've put together your portfolio, which should tend towards a more coherent vision rather than showing the entire breadth of your practice. Or the way you've written your artist statement. Unfortunately one thing you probably missed out on by not studying art in school is the "right" (or accepted) way to talk/write about art -- though it's never to late to change that. 

I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to offer feedback if you want to share a link to a website or anything (or feel free to PM if you'd feel more comfortable) :) 

EDIT: Also don't lose hope yet, it's not over till you hear back for sure.

Edited by Vespertine