MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

41 minutes ago, YayYayYay said:

Ever since I finished my last application, I have been dealing with insomnia and keep waking up from the same stress dream (forgetting that I hadn't submitted the supplemental applications.) It doesn't help that one of my recommenders hasn't been keeping up with the reference deadlines. I've sent so many reminder e-mails and texts that I'm starting to feel like I'm being rude.

Would missing one letter invalidate my entire application? 

Just trying to focus on making that insomnia productive by going into the studio ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They usually have grace period for letters.. depends on the school but about a week in most cases(l've emailed some schools cause of that)

you should contact the school to find out the exact date.

1 hour ago, arte said:

They usually have grace period for letters.. depends on the school but about a week in most cases(l've emailed some schools cause of that)

you should contact the school to find out the exact date.

I have :/

Missed Bard's letter deadline, but they require a minimum of 2 letters (total 4) so at least there's that. 

15 hours ago, YayYayYay said:

I have :/

Missed Bard's letter deadline, but they require a minimum of 2 letters (total 4) so at least there's that. 

Hey! By chance did you apply to Yale? If so, do you know what the deadline is for letters of rec to be submitted? They don't actually specify a date on their site ... I was going to email and ask! 

One of my references didn't submit for a week and I'm a wee bit nervous my app won't be reviewed as a result. 

Obviously every school probably handles LoR differently, but I know I am short one for MIT (I've contacted her several times, but had 2 out of 3 received at time of submission) and they went ahead and reviewed my application with only the two letters. Now if this affects my chance at admission is another thing, but it did not keep them from reviewing my application. Perhaps the same can be said for Bard and Yale?

@strawberry_jamMy recommender met the deadline for Yale so I haven't need to contact them about letters. But I think like as Arte mentioned the grace period is a week after the deadline. This is the case for most programs I spoke to. So I'm sure you're fine :)

@PoMo BluesI really hope so. It's hard not to be paranoid and pessimistic now that applications are over, and I'm just waiting. A friend of mine at Bard did say that the faculty understood how difficult it can be with getting references to commit to deadlines. I do have all the contact information put down on the application, and if the page records it, it will show that I sent sooo many reminder emails lol 

Hi all!

Sort of freaking out here. I was late to the application game, but have a list with which I've applied. Any words of advice from people who are applying to Film MFA's. I have industry experience and festival showings of my short film. I got my BFA from a top 25 film school, but am still incredibly anxious.  I'm applying to schools with a more art-film focus, hence not staying in my *cushy* industry job.  Anyone else in a similar situation?

On 1/19/2017 at 5:30 PM, Causofit said:

Eveyone here is amazing!

Hang in there! 

I submitted my applications on sunday. Ive had pretty much 2 emotional outbreaks since. Ive been crying. Mopping. Heart broken. Dramatic! What the hell! Art is the one thing that will kill me and Save me!! Hm. Anyway. Im a bit frantic because some friend of mine are already doing interviews- it freaks me out! I really want to get in. All of my schools were 1st picks. If i get accepted to any, id be a happy girl. Each had something special to offer.  Funding too!! If i get accepted without funding, i

may wait until next year! It would be nice To get some money and/or teaching assistance.

i know my wishes and dreams are like everyones! Were all striving for the same thing! Its cool, we'll all get it, eventually. But im being a big baby about this process. Lol

i make socially engaged works that take place inside a gallery space. so right now i am thinking of ways to make more without a large empty white walled studio and facilities. 

My question goes out to the 3D people... how do u make ur work without a wood shop? Metal shop? Kiln? Where? Where do u take pix? 

Anyway- good luck yall. Maybe ill see u at school in fall ?

I use lots and lots of "trash." I make work that is either free-standing, wall mounted or hung from the ceiling I hate (white-box) pedestals. 

2 hours ago, D-RoseD said:

Hi all!

Sort of freaking out here. I was late to the application game, but have a list with which I've applied. Any words of advice from people who are applying to Film MFA's. I have industry experience and festival showings of my short film. I got my BFA from a top 25 film school, but am still incredibly anxious.  I'm applying to schools with a more art-film focus, hence not staying in my *cushy* industry job.  Anyone else in a similar situation?

Tyler School of Art, MFA Sculpture is excellent! C.T.Jasper is the man!!!! He makes sculptures that are either directly film or make work that references cinematic themes or films themselves. 

21 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Tyler School of Art, MFA Sculpture is excellent! C.T.Jasper is the man!!!! He makes sculptures that are either directly film or make work that references cinematic themes or films themselves. 

Damn!!!!! My prof advised me against tyler! Wow i regret not applying!

Well I could see why. But in my experiences, Tyler/Temple was very generous. The future teacher faculty fellowship was specifically created to balance the lack of diverse personalities/identities in academia. People of color, queer, disabled (not sure with this one) applicants are nominated for this. Full tuition waived + stipend + TA-ship doesn't get any better than that. Plus there are university fellowships which students are nominated for upon admission. These cover just tuition. Of course not everyone is going to get them, because all universities are businesses but Tyler Grad Admissions tries its best to help students. 

Don't mind the noise in the market. 

@Poodle-Doodle I guess whatever keeps your mind off them pending MFA applications...:D

@Upstream lol I actually had a dream that I was accepted into some random program then I attended and got dismissal letter halfway through the fall semester.  That's just the short version of it, strange how anxiety can effect your dreams.   :unsure:

@Upstream Dreams are always a little over the top and probably why a lot of artists end up making work about their dreams.  Got to www.dreammoods.com it's like my favorite site currently! They tell you what stuff in your dream means, very interesting stuff! 

@D-RoseD Trying doing a search for the schools you applied for in the Visual arts forums and or you can search the school in the result tab.  From there you should be able to come up with a timeline when you'll be hearing back from schools along with other details you might find interesting. 

@Zander That's interesting! Thanks for your site. Actually we always say that dream is the opposite of reality, so I guess we can both relax.^_^ 

Ancient Chinese also have a book, explaining the meaning of the dream called The Duke of Zhou.  They belief those elements shows up in your dream meaning something would happen in the future and even further.^_^

Hey, thought I'd add myself to this thread. Dipping my toe back into the potential MFA pool so I'VE applied for the moving image pathway at Royal College of Art (RCA) in London. 

Starting to feel the nerves a little heehee! Anyone else intending to apply to places in the UK?

Edited by Echo_in_ground