MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

2 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey guys, 

So I am thinking about thank you gifts that I can send to my recommenders but I am a bit stuck. I don't want to be too cheesy but at the same time I am watching the amount of $$$ that I am going to spend. Any suggestions? If you wrote a recommendation for someone what would be an appropriate gift? Also is it too early to send thank you's, should I wait until I hear back from programs? 

Thanks in Advance!

I sent out thank you gifts for Christmas, but I personally think the timeline for them is pretty loose. It can make sense to wait till the end so that you can send out gifts with a note of which program you will be going to.

I gave two of mine very good whiskeys. The remaining one is a supervisor for where I used to work at, and that was a emotionally draining job, so I got her a nice bottle of wine, some chai chocolate cookies, and a Korean face mask. 

So this is my second time applying for a Master's program, first time applying to the MFA. (I hold a MA from the University of Chicago).

Was feeling pretty confident until today, so here I am, to freak out with y'all. Hi! Any other Low-res applicants?

SCAD
SFAI

Hello everybody,

I am here to freak out with y'all. I have lurked since last cycle am happy to share this experience in all of its gut wrenching glory. I applied to 9 programs. Points of freaking rumination are as follows:

1. Rejected from everywhere. 2. Accepted to top choice w/no funding. 3. Accepted only to last choice with full funding. 4.Did I get the right transcripts to the right places. 5. Was my dumb essay about punk rock related in anyway to diversity. 6.If it is all a bust do I go again next cycle. 6. Am I too old to be pursuing this. 

And another thing:

Does anybody know about the MFA Program at Glasgow? I applied because one of my Proffs strongly recommended it but I am nervous about committing to a program I know little about (if given the opportunity) Any insight would be appreciated. 

Good Luck Everybody!

Painting/ Drawing 2017

CUNY Hunter

UCLA

Northwestern

SUNY Purchase

Glasgow

Yale

Penn

UCONN

UD (Delaware)

Accepted: 0

Rejected: 0

Waitlisted: 0

@MonkeyPants did you do the MAPH program at UChicago? I went there for undergrad! :D 

@Gwhar1 right there with you with worrying I'm going to be rejected from everywhere lol. All the schools I ended up applying to are crazy selective, so trying not to worry too much about it if it happens.

1 hour ago, sylviecerise said:

@MonkeyPants did you do the MAPH program at UChicago? I went there for undergrad! :D 

Yes! It was incredibly intense, but no regrets. It really helped me focus my research/academic goals, and I left feeling that if I could thrive in MAPH, I could do anything. That is one tough school.

Edited by MonkeyPants
Edit: formatting

I have a question for those of you who applied to Yale SOA ... did you receive a confirmation saying explicitly that you successfully "applied". 
I only received a receipt via email for the $100 payment for my application. 

When I login it does say "Submitted" under "Status" but still I feel like I should have received a confirmation. Right?

15 minutes ago, strawberry_jam said:

I have a question for those of you who applied to Yale SOA ... did you receive a confirmation saying explicitly that you successfully "applied". 
I only received a receipt via email for the $100 payment for my application. 

When I login it does say "Submitted" under "Status" but still I feel like I should have received a confirmation. Right?

I did not. just the receipt and the submitted status.  I think if it wasn't submitted you'd still be able to edit the app.

2 hours ago, arte said:

About gifts... 

I didn't know that was a thing, what should I give to a professor living far far away?(like 12hour flight far)

and should I send the gift to his office?

I applied to a few programs last year and gave each of my references a copy of one of my favorite books after all my application decisions came in; it wasn't too expensive, and I paired it with a thank you note in appreciation of the letter of recommendation they submitted as well as a brief anecdote about the book's personal significance. But any small, compact, and not fragile item would make a good long distance gift, and sending it to their office sounds like a pretty safe way to deliver it if you don't know their home address (my references were instructors from my alma mater which I live near, so I just visited and dropped their gifts off in their faculty mailboxes).

20 hours ago, E-6_Processing said:

I applied to a few programs last year and gave each of my references a copy of one of my favorite books after all my application decisions came in; it wasn't too expensive, and I paired it with a thank you note in appreciation of the letter of recommendation they submitted as well as a brief anecdote about the book's personal significance. But any small, compact, and not fragile item would make a good long distance gift, and sending it to their office sounds like a pretty safe way to deliver it if you don't know their home address (my references were instructors from my alma mater which I live near, so I just visited and dropped their gifts off in their faculty mailboxes).

Do folks believe that small painting/drawing would be an appropriate gift? Maybe a small plant too idk 

I am applying to Tulane University anyone else? I am applying for painting. Does anyone know how competitive the program is?

Edited by icw

12 minutes ago, KRT said:

icw: They take 2 or 3 painters a year. So pretty competitive. 

I thought it would be! I am just gonna hope for the best but plan for the worst. Where are you applying?

I wish you luck- I got rejected from Tulane last year. The programs I got into last year just were not the right fit for me so I chose three this year with potential full funding/ painting faculty and student work that I like UGA, Michigan State, and Penn State. 

I hear ya man I got into Portland State's program last year, but it would have cost too much $$$ I would have gotten into SIU carbondale's program but they wanted me for an in person interview. I could not afford to make the trip though. And the guy interviewing me was so rude and short tempered. Hands down one of the worst experiences I've had in a while.  

Best of luck to you as well. 

Eveyone here is amazing!

Hang in there! 

I submitted my applications on sunday. Ive had pretty much 2 emotional outbreaks since. Ive been crying. Mopping. Heart broken. Dramatic! What the hell! Art is the one thing that will kill me and Save me!! Hm. Anyway. Im a bit frantic because some friend of mine are already doing interviews- it freaks me out! I really want to get in. All of my schools were 1st picks. If i get accepted to any, id be a happy girl. Each had something special to offer.  Funding too!! If i get accepted without funding, i

may wait until next year! It would be nice To get some money and/or teaching assistance.

i know my wishes and dreams are like everyones! Were all striving for the same thing! Its cool, we'll all get it, eventually. But im being a big baby about this process. Lol

i make socially engaged works that take place inside a gallery space. so right now i am thinking of ways to make more without a large empty white walled studio and facilities. 

My question goes out to the 3D people... how do u make ur work without a wood shop? Metal shop? Kiln? Where? Where do u take pix? 

Anyway- good luck yall. Maybe ill see u at school in fall ?

11 minutes ago, Causofit said:

My question goes out to the 3D people... how do u make ur work without a wood shop? Metal shop? Kiln? Where? Where do u take pix? 

I build my own pedestals out of really cheap wood, and spraypaint them,  then take pictures in my living room. 

oh man, have also been going through the same emotional rollercoaster. Have been trying to tell myself (as recently as a few posts previous) it's no big deal if I don't go to school this year, but the stress of not knowing if my life is going to take a drastic turn in 6 months is overwhelming!! Trump's inauguration tomorrow doesn't help... I was a mess in early November too from the stress of election day & grad school apps. Hope everyone else is taking time for self-care before the interview requests really come in.

1 hour ago, Causofit said:

I have access to a shop right now, but before that I was hand-building anything that required tools. My studio has a shared living room space upstairs with good lighting & a white wall, so I usually photograph there. 

Other 3-D questions since we're on the topic—what are you guys planning on doing with your work if you're moving cross-country? Right now, thinking about seeing how much my mum will be willing to take. All of my work is big, so it's going to be an ordeal either way. 

Ever since I finished my last application, I have been dealing with insomnia and keep waking up from the same stress dream (forgetting that I hadn't submitted the supplemental applications.) It doesn't help that one of my recommenders hasn't been keeping up with the reference deadlines. I've sent so many reminder e-mails and texts that I'm starting to feel like I'm being rude.

Would missing one letter invalidate my entire application? 

Just trying to focus on making that insomnia productive by going into the studio ¯\_(ツ)_/¯