MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

@k-khalid When did you get the interview call? I haven't heard anything from them, which really bums me out since I thought I had a solid chance after talking with Lee and her being so enthusiastic about my work and even giving me a waiver. Oh well safety school. And congrats on the first interview of the forum! 

Edited by PoMo Blues
content

In other news - I see my MIT application has been "reviewed by staff and sent to admissions committee for consideration" - so that's terrifying. 

Edited by PoMo Blues
spelling

Anybody else at an artists block and not making much?  I've been drawing a bit and reading, just jfc since like May I spent 40-50 hours a week working, and another 30 in my studio.  Just completely wiped and kinda want a normal life for a bit.

Also the other day I got an email from Pratt and almost panicked, but it was one saying they were reviewing my application. 

18 minutes ago, meghanmetier said:

Anybody else at an artists block and not making much?  I've been drawing a bit and reading, just jfc since like May I spent 40-50 hours a week working, and another 30 in my studio.  Just completely wiped and kinda want a normal life for a bit.

Also the other day I got an email from Pratt and almost panicked, but it was one saying they were reviewing my application. 

I feel similarly. Finding it challenging to make work at the moment, but it comes and goes. Winter can get like that for me. :/ 

Also, feeling the e-mail anxiety. Haha. I don't think I've ever checked my e-mail this much. 

50 minutes ago, meghanmetier said:

I started a sculpture that requires a lot of fairly mindless, repetitive application of material. Pro: works well with my level of mental exhaustion. Con: allows my mind to focus on anxiety. Reading has been the most helpful use of my time. But I assume interviewers will want to know what we've been up to in the studio in January/February, so I'm trying to be as productive as possible.

1 hour ago, sylviecerise said:

I started a sculpture that requires a lot of fairly mindless, repetitive application of material. Pro: works well with my level of mental exhaustion. Con: allows my mind to focus on anxiety. Reading has been the most helpful use of my time. But I assume interviewers will want to know what we've been up to in the studio in January/February, so I'm trying to be as productive as possible.

You could always tell them that you're working on a series of 'siesta' performances that showcase the lackadaisical nature of art students waiting for a response from grad programs.

18 hours ago, k-khalid said:

@PoMo Blues noooo u misunderstood! :P I READ somewhere that they ask. I haven't gotten any interview -_- and probably won't -_- you have a solid chance don't worry! 

Woo, that's a relief. Don't be so hard on yourself - no one has heard anything from them, so you're still on equal footing with us all! Good luck!

On 1/25/2017 at 4:58 PM, meghanmetier said:

Just searched the forums and looks like people were notified if they were finalists at Tyler around this time last year.

My hr monitor is reading 120 right now as I'm sitting.

*screams internally*

I was notified that I'm a finalist on Sunday afternoon; did a Skype interview during the week. They told me there were a few more candidates to interview still, and decisions would be sent out maybe a week after they finished.

Looks like you applied to the painting department, so I'm not sure if this helps at all (I'm photo), but just figured I'd mention it.

Edited by Vespertine

6 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

I was notified that I'm a finalist on Sunday afternoon; did a Skype interview during the week. They told me there were a few more candidates to interview still, and decisions would be sent out maybe a week after they finished.

Looks like you applied to the painting department, so I'm not sure if this helps at all (I'm photo), but just figured I'd mention it.

Congratulations! That was a really early interview. Hope it went well!

@Vespertine congrats on the first interview of the forum!! :D Crossing my fingers you get your acceptance!

Looking through the results tab, it looks like someone also got an  for a Tyler Fibers interview on Sunday. Congrats as well to whoever you are! Hoping that us painting & sculpture folk will hear back soon as well~ 

Hello All!

I am not applying for an MFA, but a Post Bac.  I picked up painting my senior year and was able to slip into studio classes and fell madly in love.  Since then I've taken some classes through Art Centers extension program that have helped me, but I feel at such a disadvatange not having a formal education in painting.  The deadline for Post Bac's are all around April 1, so I'm finishing up some of my applications ANY info on the programs I'm applying to would be very helpful.   I'm applying to a post bac with the intention(future tripping fingers crossed) of then going straight into graduate school.  It's my hope to one day teach, so I feel a post bac is a good idea for me.  While I didn't technically go to school for studio art, my degree is also in art history and I've spent the last 2 years working in a museum and a few galleries.  I have a decent amount of work so I think I have a good chance of getting in somewhere, anyone know how competitive a post bac is? thinking mainly of SAIC post bac?

SAIC (1st choice very expensive)

SFAI 

UC Berkeley (of which I know little/seems most affordable)

Dartmouth 

MICA (not really into to professors but seems like a good program)

Thank you all <3

39 minutes ago, slboy said:

Hello All!

I am not applying for an MFA, but a Post Bac.  I picked up painting my senior year and was able to slip into studio classes and fell madly in love.  Since then I've taken some classes through Art Centers extension program that have helped me, but I feel at such a disadvatange not having a formal education in painting.  The deadline for Post Bac's are all around April 1, so I'm finishing up some of my applications ANY info on the programs I'm applying to would be very helpful.   I'm applying to a post bac with the intention(future tripping fingers crossed) of then going straight into graduate school.  It's my hope to one day teach, so I feel a post bac is a good idea for me.  While I didn't technically go to school for studio art, my degree is also in art history and I've spent the last 2 years working in a museum and a few galleries.  I have a decent amount of work so I think I have a good chance of getting in somewhere, anyone know how competitive a post bac is? thinking mainly of SAIC post bac?

SFAI 

Dartmouth 

Thank you all <3

Perhaps you would get better responses if you started your own thread for this? I personally know nothing about Post Bac. programs. Good luck, though!

57 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Just called UCLA to confirm transcript delivery. UGHHHH. Ethan, I believe his name to be, was so rude and nonchalant. So far I've had nothing but poor experiences with UCLA. 

Totally had a similar experience with him! His e-mails came across as rude...I had pegged it off as him perhaps not coming through well via e-mail. But...unfortunately that's not the case. Hahah. 

43 minutes ago, slboy said:

Hello All!

SFAI 

Dartmouth 

Thank you all <3

I don't think SAIC's post-bacc is super competitive—I know they offer spots to people who don't get into the MFA program as well. My friend did SAIC post bacc and enjoyed it. If you stay in Chicago, you still have access to their facilities after you're done and it's a very, very good way of networking in the Chicago scene (which is dominated by SAIC alum; it can be hard to break into without SAIC connections imo). 

Brandeis also has a post-bacc, which I've heard good things about.

I'd reccomend looking into Tyler's and VCU's Summer Intensives! They are 7-week programs, so not a full post-bacc experience, but a much more affordable option. I did Tyler's program as I felt similarly to you—I switched to visual arts from math only during my 3rd year and felt like a needed an "art school" experience. It really, really helped me gain momentum to push my practice post-undergrad. I also feel like I know what to expect from grad school now. And I met a ton of really fantastic artists! I'm happy to answer any questions about the Tyler program.

Tyler SSI/SPI: http://tyler.temple.edu/continuing-education-program/summer-painting-sculpture-intensives

VCU Summer Studio Program: http://arts.vcu.edu/ssp@vcu/ 

4 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

@Vespertine congrats on the first interview of the forum!! :D Crossing my fingers you get your acceptance!

Looking through the results tab, it looks like someone also got an  for a Tyler Fibers interview on Sunday. Congrats as well to whoever you are! Hoping that us painting & sculpture folk will hear back soon as well~ 

Checked Temple portal, says application is "complete and ready for review."

3 minutes ago, meghanmetier said:

Checked Temple portal, says application is "complete and ready for review."

omg just had a mini heart attack and checked mine too, but then I remembered mine has said that since everything was submitted.