MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

3 minutes ago, taumi said:

If I checked my Yale MFA application page for Sculpture and the status doesn't say 'interview' does that mean that it was already rejected just not updated? 

based on past experiences the people who get interviews have had that msg on their profile.

30 minutes ago, tugbamina_871 said:

aw true! i really thought you would get an interview @BICEO 

@sylviecerise you have to represent us hopefuls ☺️

thanks!  Yeah I guess i havent received a rejection yet, so im holding out  haha

Edited by BlCEO

2 minutes ago, taumi said:

ah i see...thanks. and they update the profiles with the msg all at the same time usually? 

hopefully not,  Im in the same boat,  fingers crossed for tomorrow! haha

Hey everyone, Yale - graphic design here and mine too only says "submitted" under status. If we can't make the cut for the interview, will they change it to something like "rejected" or is it going to stay "submitted" forever, lol.

Sending the vibes to everyone, stay strong!

Edited by xanaxax

How many times have you all applied?

I feel so discouraged already trying entering those predominantly white and elite art schools. And getting no from them doesn't feel any better. Have any of you had this problem of having a huge anxiety before applying because you know that if you ever get in you will so much shit in subtle and non subtle ways. And now with the political mood, it does noet make rejection any better. 

I'm not even gonna apologise for sharing not very joyful words, just feel so lonely on that right now. 

4 minutes ago, Apple Ginger said:

How many times have you all applied?

I feel so discouraged already trying entering those predominantly white and elite art schools. And getting no from them doesn't feel any better. Have any of you had this problem of having a huge anxiety before applying because you know that if you ever get in you will so much shit in subtle and non subtle ways. And now with the political mood, it does noet make rejection any better. 

I'm not even gonna apologise for sharing not very joyful words, just feel so lonely on that right now. 

This is my second time applying, I applied in 2014 last time. 

I can relate a teeny tiny little bit to what you're saying, although the colour of my skin is the same as the majority in art schools in the UK, my nationality isn't British and 'class' was brought up subtly and not so subtly at times, although the class thing was mostly something some of the students concerned themselves with since thankfully the staff in my art college at least seemed to mostly come from working class families.

I was told by my first tutor that no artist from my country was ever successful in the visual arts so I'll find it hard to become an artist. As if somehow I was suppose to either give up or change paths? I briefly considered returning to my home country to do my masters but I realised that I frankly have it very easy compared to others who can't blend in and have face BS on a institutional level.  

I see from your posts that you've applied to the RA? I actually went to the open day there recently when I was considering applying and I would say the student body is pretty diverse from what I saw from who was in the studios. I liked that aspect of the tour among other things but didn't apply in the end as I felt the facilities lacking for what i hope to do in moving image.

1 hour ago, Echo_in_ground said:

This is my second time applying, I applied in 2014 last time. 

I can relate a teeny tiny little bit to what you're saying, although the colour of my skin is the same as the majority in art schools in the UK, my nationality isn't British and 'class' was brought up subtly and not so subtly at times, although the class thing was mostly something some of the students concerned themselves with since thankfully the staff in my art college at least seemed to mostly come from working class families.

I was told by my first tutor that no artist from my country was ever successful in the visual arts so I'll find it hard to become an artist. As if somehow I was suppose to either give up or change paths? I briefly considered returning to my home country to do my masters but I realised that I frankly have it very easy compared to others who can't blend in and have face BS on a institutional level.  

I see from your posts that you've applied to the RA? I actually went to the open day there recently when I was considering applying and I would say the student body is pretty diverse from what I saw from who was in the studios. I liked that aspect of the tour among other things but didn't apply in the end as I felt the facilities lacking for what i hope to do in moving image.

Thank you for answering it! 

Yes, I was being subtle when I mentioned just whiteness. I have gotten shit in my BFA from a tutor who said it joking that I did not need to know philosophy because I came from a warm country where the sun always shone. (I'm Latina)

So it is so sad that we have to get into institutions full of white supremacy, elite centered and mysoginy. But well, we have to do something in this life anyway so I guess finding strategies to not hurt oneself too much is maybe one way. 

Where are you applying for? Maybe Goldsmiths is good for you with moving image? I wanted to apply but I cannot afford the education there but it is such a great school. 

I want these old school workshops to make sculptures and get away a bit from screens. Right now I work more with videos as well. :) 

Regarding Statuses and Interview dates:

Bard - Interview notices announced early Feb / by Feb 13 (no status online)
Rutgers - Interview notices announced by Feb 15 (Current status: "No decision")
Columbia - Anyone know? (Current status: "Submitted" and the "MFA" still shows up next to "Visual Arts" application. In the past the "MFA" seemed to disappear for candidates who were no longer in the running.)

Anyone have different statuses for any of the above schools?