MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

19 hours ago, Apple Ginger said:

Hope you get into RCA! But at RA, were there only two rooms used for crits but no individual studios? I thought there were individual studios as well? 

hi Apple Ginger, sorry yes there were of course individual studio spaces but they wouldn't be the size of space I would be able to film or build a set in, whereas the RCA have a filming studio with lighting, sound booths etc, I have niche needs ;)

the two rooms are used for crits, setting up and testing work, documenting work, pretty much anything you can think of. The studio sizes were decent by London standards. 

39 minutes ago, jbsp said:

@desertdog thank you so much for saying this.. I guess i didn't really want to go to yale... i am afraid of i feel i may lost the chance to ucla and columbia. coz they accept less interviews than yale.....

Even if you did just try again! There are a lot of schools that are great out there.

Sorry to everyone who got Yale rejections, but don't despair too much... it's not the be-all-end-all. One of my professors in undergrad was a Yale grad and didn't seem to enjoy the experience much.

I've also seen Yale grads who are still adjuncts getting shuffled around multiple universities, versus younger artists already in tenured positions. No one school is a golden ticket. 

Edited by Vespertine

I got the email at midnight, rejected from Yale, same goes for the only classmate of mine who I know applied. We are consoling each other via text right now lol. Congrats to you interviewees!! I hope y'all nail it.

I still haven't heard peep from PennDesign and it looks like some of you have already heard? 

On 2/1/2017 at 8:55 PM, PoMo Blues said:

I hope you hear something soon! I was told today decisions were made a few days ago. Hope you get good news too! 

Accepted to SAIC Low-Res!!!! Got the call this morning (Saturday) and I'm shaking. Did they happen to mention anything about financial aid to you?

Edited by MonkeyPants

28 minutes ago, dmirko said:

Applied for MFA in studio art. Waiting on UCI, Northeastern, and UNLV. I am basically an emotional mess. 

Good luck, I've thought about applying to UNLV, what is their funding situation? do you know much about it?

4 hours ago, MonkeyPants said:

Accepted to SAIC Low-Res!!!! Got the call this morning (Saturday) and I'm shaking. Did they happen to mention anything about financial aid to you?

She just told me information would be in the packet with the official letter. I kind of assumed that if I had received a scholarship they would have mentioned it during the phone call - could be wrong though. I will let you know what's in my letter once I get it. Here's to hoping we both got something great! 

5 hours ago, icw said:

Good luck, I've thought about applying to UNLV, what is their funding situation? do you know much about it?

Thanks! They have a February 15 deadline, close to full tuition remission and 15k stipend. Also rent is very very cheap in Vegas. 

I've been quiet on this forum over the last few weeks, but I also got a rejection from Yale last night. In the immediate aftermath it felt like a bummer, but compared to how I'm feeling about many of the terrible things going on here in the US and around the world right now, the rejection was a mere psychological speedbump (a close friend of mine from Iran and her family and friends have been severely affected by the recent travel ban, and seeing what they're going through is horrifying a hugely regrettable).

But congratulations to those on here who landed interview invites, I'm crossing my fingers that you'll all slay during them later this month ;).

Rejected from Yale - MFA Graphic Design Preliminary (3-year). Didn't receive any email notification but the status update on website indicates the rejection. Anyone here applying to yale's graphic design program and received an interview request?

2 hours ago, E-6_Processing said:

I've been quiet on this forum over the last few weeks, but I also got a rejection from Yale last night. In the immediate aftermath it felt like a bummer, but compared to how I'm feeling about many of the terrible things going on here in the US and around the world right now, the rejection was a mere psychological speedbump (a close friend of mine from Iran and her family and friends have been severely affected by the recent travel ban, and seeing what they're going through is horrifying a hugely regrettable).

But congratulations to those on here who landed interview invites, I'm crossing my fingers that you'll all slay during them later this month ;).

YES! so true.

I also got a no from Yale but it is them who will regret in the future. but Y'ALL CRYING for Yale like you've been watching too much Gilmore Girls or something, come on, it will be fine. 

Nevertheless, Nicole and Mina, congrats for your interviews, hope u take it all!

I have been invited for interview with SAIC Sculpture, I see some of you have also. Will have to do it by Skype bc I live in Spain atm. Anyone has any clue of what their interviews are like? Freaking out a little bc I don't make objects so I'm a little surprised they invited me. Lol

3 hours ago, E-6_Processing said:

I'm glad you mentioned this, I've been thinking the same. Rejections sting but it's honestly just part of the territory. Grants, fellowships, residencies, etc etc. I just took an hour to allow myself some self pity, and then got over it.

Honestly, I'm having a great time. Applying for grad school hasn't been a financial possibility until recently. We are incredibly fortunate to be in a position to pursue higher education.

6 hours ago, Tyra1992 said:

YES! so true.

I also got a no from Yale but it is them who will regret in the future. but Y'ALL CRYING for Yale like you've been watching too much Gilmore Girls or something, come on, it will be fine. 

Nevertheless, Nicole and Mina, congrats for your interviews, hope u take it all!

I have been invited for interview with SAIC Sculpture, I see some of you have also. Will have to do it by Skype bc I live in Spain atm. Anyone has any clue of what their interviews are like? Freaking out a little bc I don't make objects so I'm a little surprised they invited me. Lol

Hey thanks. Best of luck with the SAIC interview. I interviewed with photo last year and it was a pleasant experience. They asked why I worked in my medium (photo as opposed to video) and asked me to go through each slide and explain what I was doing. We also talked about what I would get from attending SAIC. I don't know about sculpture but they have nice, central studio spaces and an amazing cage, and some faculty work was relevant to mine so I brought that up. I waited a year to reapply because my financial aid package was 2/3 of all costs out of pockets (on loan). Anyway, I think their style of interviews is condusive to Skype, I am sure you'll do great. There will be some 2nd year MFA students in the room so I regretted not coming up w specific questions to ask them. 

Best of luck to you! Enjoy Spain!!

I also agree with YayYayYay. There are days when I receive three rejections in my inbox. It stings but I have to keep making work, sustain myself and remind myself that I am lucky to be able to choose what I want to do in life. That said everybody here is so talented and I really hope acceptances will flow in soon ☺️

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by tugbamina_871

16 hours ago, PoMo Blues said:

She just told me information would be in the packet with the official letter. I kind of assumed that if I had received a scholarship they would have mentioned it during the phone call - could be wrong though. I will let you know what's in my letter once I get it. Here's to hoping we both got something great! 

The gentleman I spoke with said to call the director of Financial Aid, as he doesn't have any reliable info. My letter came yesterday, but made no mention of aid.

3 hours ago, MonkeyPants said:

The gentleman I spoke with said to call the director of Financial Aid, as he doesn't have any reliable info. My letter came yesterday, but made no mention of aid.
Updated to add: SAIC website says, "If you are admitted and have filed your FAFSA you will receive your financial aid package within approximately two weeks of your acceptance." So there's that.

22 minutes ago, crssnt said:

I have an interview with VCU tomorrow - they sent me an email last week. How are you all preparing for interviews? I have no clue what to expect. 

Congratulations!! What department?