MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

On February 4, 2017 at 1:43 PM, MonkeyPants said:

Some of the best, smartest people I know have been rejected from Yale. They moved on to other grad programs and they're nailing it in their practices. Keep your head up!

On February 4, 2017 at 8:42 AM, desertdog said:

I know Yale is a good school but I think it comes down to the work you do and what you do with your time anywhere. Another school might be just as great :) keep your head up!

thank you two so much!! 

On 2017-02-04 at 3:27 PM, jbsp said:

couldn't really fall in sleep yesterday after knowing rejected from yale...

Hey, didn't want to undermine the bad taste that rejection feels. I also got disappointed on not being invited for interview. But just think we should value our works more than the institutions themselves. So respect for your mourning, ofc. And for everyone else's as well. 

Did you apply for other programs? I am now reading this thread of the back up plans here in the forum and it is giving me a lot of good ideas of residencies and things to do if none of the MFA applications works out. 

17 hours ago, tugbamina_871 said:

Hey thanks. Best of luck with the SAIC interview. I interviewed with photo last year and it was a pleasant experience. They asked why I worked in my medium (photo as opposed to video) and asked me to go through each slide and explain what I was doing. We also talked about what I would get from attending SAIC. I don't know about sculpture but they have nice, central studio spaces and an amazing cage, and some faculty work was relevant to mine so I brought that up. I waited a year to reapply because my financial aid package was 2/3 of all costs out of pockets (on loan). Anyway, I think their style of interviews is condusive to Skype, I am sure you'll do great. There will be some 2nd year MFA students in the room so I regretted not coming up w specific questions to ask them. 

Best of luck to you! Enjoy Spain!!

I also agree with YayYayYay. There are days when I receive three rejections in my inbox. It stings but I have to keep making work, sustain myself and remind myself that I am lucky to be able to choose what I want to do in life. That said everybody here is so talented and I really hope acceptances will flow in soon ☺️

Best of luck to everyone!

Thank you Mina for sharing your experience! 

Hope you nail it in your interview! 

On 2/4/2017 at 4:04 PM, Echo_in_ground said:

hi Apple Ginger, sorry yes there were of course individual studio spaces but they wouldn't be the size of space I would be able to film or build a set in, whereas the RCA have a filming studio with lighting, sound booths etc, I have niche needs ;)

the two rooms are used for crits, setting up and testing work, documenting work, pretty much anything you can think of. The studio sizes were decent by London standards. 

Nice! Thanks for the update. :)

been following for a while, finally got the courage to chip in, as I am starting to really freak out...

applied to ucla, cranbrook and rca - all painting. my husband is american and moved to switzerland for me last year, but it isn't easy with him not speaking the language so moving back to the US or at least an english speaking country would be helpful for us, which is why this whole process seems to take on a whole other layer of importance for me :wacko:

I am thinking about applying to schools in switzerland though for safety, last year I applied to Columbia and Yale, didn't work out and I'm just dreading another round of rejections... luckily deadlines here aren't until march and the benefit would be that I wouldn't have to worry about financing as schools here are cheap...

best of luck to all of you!

On 2/6/2017 at 8:11 AM, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey guys, 

Curious: Do any of you have a time line of when we hear back from a)Columbia, b)Hunter, c)Washington University in St. Louis and d)UCLA?

TIA. 

UCLA is like early/mid-march

1 hour ago, BlCEO said:

UCLA is like early/mid-march

I read in this forum that someone had called Columbia admissions to ask and they had just started reviewing Moving Image applications about a week ago? I am planning to call this week to ask about the Visual Art track, I'll post here if I get information. 

29 minutes ago, tugbamina_871 said:

I read in this forum that someone had called Columbia admissions to ask and they had just started reviewing Moving Image applications about a week ago? I am planning to call this week to ask about the Visual Art track, I'll post here if I get information. 

sweet let me know!  Yeah i applied last year and it was such a long wait lol.  By then I was already onto new work, it was like 'oh I was rejected? ehh'.  haha

On 2/4/2017 at 5:09 PM, dmirko said:

Thanks! They have a February 15 deadline, close to full tuition remission and 15k stipend. Also rent is very very cheap in Vegas. 

Nice! Maybe I'll apply.

18 hours ago, crssnt said:

Painting + printmaking. Sorry to those who haven't heard back. Also I found quite a few interview threads - including 

I'm hoping to hear from sculpture, so I am relieved it was a different department. Congrats!

4 hours ago, arte said:

Yeay! me too!

UMich interview here too. Those Tuesday slots were scooped up quickly.

Edited by turnip

4 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey guys, 

Curious: Do any of you have a time line of when we hear back from a)Columbia, b)Hunter, c)Wash U in St.Louis and d)UCLA?

TIA. 

I've interviewed at both Columbia and Hunter in years past (I am the waitlist champion) and both notify typically later in the month.

hunter notified 2/25/14 and columbia notified 2/17/15 although I think the "mfa" slideroom drop thing happened a day or two prior. Don't totally remember. 

Hey all! 

So here's where I'm at and yes I applied to a lot of schools. ;) Last year I interviewed at Yale, but was rejected, Cranbrook, and NYU. I was accepted to Cranbrook and NYU but they ended up being too expensive to attend.  So I have a longer list this year and hoping something works out. This process is extremely stressful! :0  hopefully 2nd times the charm!

Here's where I've applied:

MFA Painting 2017

Northwestern - rejected 

Columbia -

UCSB- interview 3/4

University of Oregon -

University of Washington-

Bard-

Boston University - interview 2/28

Ohio State University- interviewed 1/20 

Rutgers -

Cornell -

Indiana University -

Wishing everyone the best of luck on interviews! It looks like last year people were notified for interviews for Rutgers on Feb. 9 and calls for interviews at Columbia were made on Feb. 13. Feb. 10 notifications for interviews at Bard went out....in case you're curious! :) 

hang in there! ;) (easier said than done) 

Edited by chikapea

54 minutes ago, chikapea said:

Hey all! 

So here's where I'm at and yes I applied to a lot of schools. ;) Last year I interviewed at Yale, but was rejected, Cranbrook, and NYU. I was accepted to Cranbrook and NYU but they ended up being too expensive to attend.  So I have a longer list this year and hoping something works out. This process is extremely stressful! :0  hopefully 2nd times the charm!

Here's where I've applied:

MFA Painting 2017

Northwestern - rejected 

Columbia -

UCSB- interview 3/4

University of Oregon -

University of Washington-

Bard-

Boston University - interview 2/28

Ohio State University- interviewed 1/20 

Rutgers -

Cornell -

Indiana University -

Wishing everyone the best of luck on interviews! It looks like last year people were notified for interviews for Rutgers on Feb. 9 and calls for interviews at Columbia were made on Feb. 13. Feb. 10 notifications for interviews at Bard went out....in case you're curious! :) 

hang in there! ;) (easier said than done) 

The grad admissions lady said we would be notified 2/15 from Rutgers but I am not sure if it varies. Waiting sucks!

good luck!

Today I got an interview invite for Ohio State and a rejection from the UMN (According their e-mail, they only accepted 6 applicants this year!)

:] 

Really excited about Ohio. Interview is via phone on the 8th!