MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

2 hours ago, Impartial said:

Regarding Statuses and Interview dates:

Bard - Interview notices announced early Feb / by Feb 13 (no status online)
Rutgers - Interview notices announced by Feb 15 (Current status: "No decision")
Columbia - Anyone know? (Current status: "Submitted" and the "MFA" still shows up next to "Visual Arts" application. In the past the "MFA" seemed to disappear for candidates who were no longer in the running.)

Anyone have different statuses for any of the above schools?

I just called the Columbia admissions office and they told me that they just started reviewing the Moving Image concentration applications now and we can expect to hear something by the end of February or the beginning of March at the latest about interviews.

7 hours ago, hastr683 said:

Anyone hear from Yale Photo, UCI or UMich?

I'm waiting on UofM as well.

2 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

SAIC Sculpture Interview! 

Me too! I got the call today. I thought for sure they passed me up since I got an interview invite letter in the mail on Monday from Art and Technology Studies. 

So I just checked my University of Georgia status and it says Applicant Accepted Offer (It had said decision pending) . I interviewed for painting on the 18th but haven't gotten an email yet stating acceptance. I'm thinking that might come tomorrow. Anyone in the same boat? 

Against my better judgement--or at least my wallet's...--I have committed to attending my PennDesign interview in person. Gulp. XD

Preference for the 13th. If anyone wants to meet up for a coffee or beer, let me know. 

15 minutes ago, Leo168 said:

Against my better judgement--or at least my wallet's...--I have committed to attending my PennDesign interview in person. Gulp. XD

Preference for the 13th. If anyone wants to meet up for a coffee or beer, let me know. 

My interview is on the 14th. I found a great deal on a plane ticket, so no long drive for me! I'll be arriving in the evening on the 13th, if you'll still be around.

22 hours ago, Apple Ginger said:

Thank you for answering it! 

Yes, I was being subtle when I mentioned just whiteness. I have gotten shit in my BFA from a tutor who said it joking that I did not need to know philosophy because I came from a warm country where the sun always shone. (I'm Latina)

So it is so sad that we have to get into institutions full of white supremacy, elite centered and mysoginy. But well, we have to do something in this life anyway so I guess finding strategies to not hurt oneself too much is maybe one way. 

Where are you applying for? Maybe Goldsmiths is good for you with moving image? I wanted to apply but I cannot afford the education there but it is such a great school. 

I want these old school workshops to make sculptures and get away a bit from screens. Right now I work more with videos as well. :) 

I've applied for RCA moving image pathway, I wasn't too interested in a one year masters like the one in Goldsmiths and I felt like the staff at RCA were a bit more related to my interests. At the RA there were only two rooms in the building you could borrow and they were being used primarily for crits and as someone interested in rehearsal and working in sets, I realised I needed a course tailored to my needs. Since I'm from the EU the fees won't be too much, nothing like international students have to pay. 

16 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Congrats @Poodle-Doodle!!!! Are you doing in person? If so, let me know when you're in town! :D 

Thanks @sylviecerise I don't know yet. I have an artist talk at the end of the month so, depending on how many other schools I get that invite me + the date of the talk I'll decide. Prob by next Tuesday. 

Congratulations to everyone receiving acceptance/interview notices!!! :D

Got my first rejection tonight, from UAL Camberwell College of Arts. Not a nice feeling, but at least one thing over and dealt with this cycle. 

I feel so bad posting this but there's are only like 5 spots for Tyler's MFA Painting Program this year!  I was first told that there were 10-15 spots when I talked to admissions in Jan, guess someone didn't get the memo. Welp, let me start planning on reapplying next year. :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Zander said:

I feel so bad posting this but there's are only like 5 spots for Tyler's MFA Painting Program this year!  I was first told that there were 10-15 spots when I talked to admissions in Jan, guess someone didn't get the memo. Welp, let me start planning on reapplying next year. :mellow:

Whoaaa!!! Are they downsizing? My impression was too that painting had ~10 spots a year. 

5 minutes ago, Zander said:

Any word on when theyll contact for interviews?

9 minutes ago, Zander said:

Yikes! But don't throw in the towel so fast @Zander I'm rooting for you! 

Edited by Poodle-Doodle

19 hours ago, tilde_swiñtoñ said:

I just called the Columbia admissions office and they told me that they just started reviewing the Moving Image concentration applications now and we can expect to hear something by the end of February or the beginning of March at the latest about interviews.

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, meghanmetier said:

AHh, where did you hear about the only 5 change? And why?!?

i just emailed asking for an update on my painting application. I can't speak to why their only taking 5 painters this admission cycle. Its going to be very competitive...

I just had my 1st interview. It went really well! It was for NYC affordable housing lottery! Quick bit about me: I've lived in Brooklyn for the past 7 years and am married w/ 2 young daughters. We'be been living in the same 1br 4th floor walkup for the past 6... 

I've been applying for these sorts of things for years & was finally selected for an interview (not gaurunteed).

If we are chosen for this rent controlled 2br apt in our neighborhood (greenpoint/wburg) -- that is $700 less a month then what we pay now.... I don't know how this might effect the grad school decision, if accepted.

Thank you forum, for letting me vent this new variable/"freak out".

All good problems.

14 minutes ago, Cengstro said:

I just had my 1st interview. It went really well! It was for NYC affordable housing lottery! Quick bit about me: I've lived in Brooklyn for the past 7 years and am married w/ 2 young daughters. We'be been living in the same 1br 4th floor walkup for the past 6... 

I've been applying for these sorts of things for years & was finally selected for an interview (not gaurunteed).

If we are chosen for this rent controlled 2br apt in our neighborhood (greenpoint/wburg) -- that is $700 less a month then what we pay now.... I don't know how this might effect the grad school decision, if accepted.

Thank you forum, for letting me vent this new variable/"freak out".

All good problems.

Glad this went well, Cengstro!!! Hoping that you get good news back! More options are always good. :)