Ask questions about the PhD application process!

blc073

7 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

Do you know what the likelihood of acceptances after interviews are?

It depends on the school, but I hear post-interview acceptance rates are usually 60-90% or so for domestic applicants. I heard Princeton accepted around 2/3 of their interviewees, while UPenn accepted more than 90% last year https://www.med.upenn.edu/camb/app_info.shtml .  It's just anecdotal, but I think most of the other schools I applied to accepted at least 80% of their domestic interviewees, with the interview acting as more of a recruitment tool than for eliminating candidates.

15 hours ago, jougami said:

It depends on the school, but I hear post-interview acceptance rates are usually 60-90% or so for domestic applicants. I heard Princeton accepted around 2/3 of their interviewees, while UPenn accepted more than 90% last year https://www.med.upenn.edu/camb/app_info.shtml .  It's just anecdotal, but I think most of the other schools I applied to accepted at least 80% of their domestic interviewees, with the interview acting as more of a recruitment tool than for eliminating candidates.

Thanks for the link and insight!

Jumping on this thread with an outfit/presentation related question for interview weekends that I don't think I've seen asked yet. What is the general consensus on facial piercings during interviews? I've had my nose pierced for awhile and keep a small gold hoop in it, but wasn't sure if it would be unprofessional or bad to have during interviews. I can switch it to a little stud or I can just take it out, but obviously if you look close enough at my face you'll be able to tell there's a hole in my nose, haha.

I'm probably overthinking this but was just curious! Thanks!

7 hours ago, synapticcat said:

Jumping on this thread with an outfit/presentation related question for interview weekends that I don't think I've seen asked yet. What is the general consensus on facial piercings during interviews? I've had my nose pierced for awhile and keep a small gold hoop in it, but wasn't sure if it would be unprofessional or bad to have during interviews. I can switch it to a little stud or I can just take it out, but obviously if you look close enough at my face you'll be able to tell there's a hole in my nose, haha.

Realistically science is a fairly liberal field when it comes to body image (heck we had a faculty Candidate this past year with tons of facial piercings!), but I always tend to err on the side of caution during interviews. I would suggest switching the hoop for the stud, or taking it out altogether. 

On 12/31/2017 at 2:36 PM, Neuro15 said:

Realistically science is a fairly liberal field when it comes to body image (heck we had a faculty Candidate this past year with tons of facial piercings!), but I always tend to err on the side of caution during interviews. I would suggest switching the hoop for the stud, or taking it out altogether. 

Thanks for the tip! I will likely just get a retainer for the piercing so I can keep it but I won't have an jewelry showing. I was leaning towards this (sadly getting rid of the blue dipped ends of my hair for a more professional look too), but wanted some advice from someone who isn't my mom haha.  

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably my anxiety rearing its ugly head, but I'm going to my first interview tomorrow (!!!) and am suddenly consumed with existential dread. Most of this is along the lines of knowing that I'm a good writer and I was proud of my SoP, but I tend to be awkward in person and I never feel confident in one-on-one conversations, especially interviews. I'm just terrified that these professors will be expecting something good based on my SoP and will be disappointed when they meet me in real life. 
I guess I don't really have much of a question, but was this something you dealt with when you were applying / how do you get over the nerves and "stage fright"? 

4 minutes ago, eevee said:

I know this is probably my anxiety rearing its ugly head, but I'm going to my first interview tomorrow (!!!) and am suddenly consumed with existential dread. Most of this is along the lines of knowing that I'm a good writer and I was proud of my SoP, but I tend to be awkward in person and I never feel confident in one-on-one conversations, especially interviews. I'm just terrified that these professors will be expecting something good based on my SoP and will be disappointed when they meet me in real life. 
I guess I don't really have much of a question, but was this something you dealt with when you were applying / how do you get over the nerves and "stage fright"? 

Hmm.  This is tricky because different people have different coping mechanisms.  From what I've heard, these interviews are very conversational and can range from the PI asking you about your research, to them talking to you about their research or a project they are looking for someone to work on (i.e. they're pitching their lab to you), a mix of both, or even interviews where the PI and interviewee didn't talk about a lot of science but miscellaneous stuff.

My first interview is this weekend and my nerves are starting to kick in.  I think everyone feels this way at some point.. My worry is that I'm not going to be able to coherently explain my research projects, or succinctly, and they'll lose interest in my research or think I don't know it well (even though I know it like the back of my hand).  What's been helping me is explaining my research to my peers, so I'll be more comfortable explaining it to a PI.  But being nervous is completely normal and I'm here to commiserate with you!

4 minutes ago, eevee said:

A couple tidbits from an interviewer to hopefully make that dread go away (at least partially!):

1. It is 100% okay to be awkward during a one-on-one interview. In fact, many times the interviewer themselves will be feeling more awkward than you do. As long as you are able to talk enthusiastically about your science and are sincere in doing so, you will be fine. There are scientists at all levels from PhD students to Nobel Laureates who are awkward, and the interview process itself is awkward and uncomfortable in general!

2. I have never heard of someone being rejected post-interview because they are awkward or uncomfortable or nervous in one-on-one conversations. The most common reasons that pop up would be you cannot actually talk about the research you listed in your SOP, you are not friendly or even remotely cordial with the interviewer, you say something that is an immediate red flag (such as questioning why you want to do a PhD or saying something racist), or you do not show enthusiasm for pursuing a PhD, science, etc.

3. We love it when an interviewee really gets excited about something during an interview. It can be your research, the PIs research, a hobby, etc. If you can latch on to something that excites you, you can really cut through that awkwardness. If it is something in your own research, that is especially beneficial as you will be able to bring it up in each interview.

4. If you are a coffee drinker, do not drink a ton of coffee before you interviews. It sounds weird, but that can really exacerbate the nerves before a one-on-one interview.

5. The interviews themselves are more like conversations. There isn't a preset list of questions that we ask in a row. I have three questions that I will always try to ask and let the conversation develop from there. It doesn't always go that way, but even with the most awkward interviewees (think someone shaking and barely able to speak they are so nervous) I find you can always cut through any awkwardness as long as the interviewee actually wants to be there and has an interest in doing a PhD at that institution.

One final thing: Don't get discouraged if your first PI interview doesn't go 100% perfect. My first PI interview I attended years ago went truly horrifically (I developed a stutter I was so nervous), but I still managed to get into (and attend) that institution. We expect you to be nervous at first. Every PI interview you do, you will get better and better at it. A lot of the times, in the beginning we ask the recruits how they feel and they are universally terrified, whereas by the end of the the first set of interviews they find them relatively relaxing and sometimes even fun.

I hope this helps a little!

24 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

Hmm.  This is tricky because different people have different coping mechanisms.  From what I've heard, these interviews are very conversational and can range from the PI asking you about your research, to them talking to you about their research or a project they are looking for someone to work on (i.e. they're pitching their lab to you), a mix of both, or even interviews where the PI and interviewee didn't talk about a lot of science but miscellaneous stuff.

My first interview is this weekend and my nerves are starting to kick in.  I think everyone feels this way at some point.. My worry is that I'm not going to be able to coherently explain my research projects, or succinctly, and they'll lose interest in my research or think I don't know it well (even though I know it like the back of my hand).  What's been helping me is explaining my research to my peers, so I'll be more comfortable explaining it to a PI.  But being nervous is completely normal and I'm here to commiserate with you!

Practice 1 minute, 3 minute, and 5 minute summaries of your research. Pick one project and be able to distill it down to three different time lengths and you will have zero problem! Additionally, identify what really excites you about your research and try to focus whatever you say around that.

1 hour ago, eevee said:

I had this same feeling right before my first interview last week. I was so overwhelmed with anxiety that I couldn't eat the day of and was so worried I wouldn't be able to convey my research to my interviewers. That being said, as soon as I actually began speaking with professors, my nerves went away and everything went really well. You probably know your research even better than you think you do; as soon as you find yourself needing to describe things in person I'm sure you will do fine. The hardest part is being confident-- just know that if you are interviewing somewhere its for a reason and you deserve to be there! If you wrote a good SoP, I'm sure you are a great researcher and you will interview very well. BiomedicalPHD's advice is a great way to prepare. 

Also make sure you eat before your interviews, you'll feel much better than if you don't. 

Thank y'all so much for the advice, especially @BiomedicalPHD!!! The weekend went overall okay, I think -- the very first PI interview was WEIRD and super formal (she had printed out a list of questions that she read from and took notes on my answers) so that threw me off quite a bit, but the other 3 PIs that I talked to afterward had much more casual conversations. Fingers crossed that the first one doesn't affect my chances too drastically :/ But at least I now know what to expect for the rest of my interview trips! 

5 minutes ago, Bio-warrior said:

Still waiting on a few schools, but wanted to ask if it be considered inappropriate to e-mail or contact your POI while decisions are still being made?

What would you ask them?  Did you open up conversation with them before applying?  If they don't have a lot of weight in admissions decisions, then I don't see the point in contacting them.  

8 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

What would you ask them?  Did you open up conversation with them before applying?  If they don't have a lot of weight in admissions decisions, then I don't see the point in contacting them.  

Was thinking about updating my POI on my status, but that seems quite unnecessary the more I think about it. I did manage to speak with my POI through Skype before my applications were reviewed and she was excited about my application. I think I'm just a little nervous :) (as we all are).

On 12/31/2017 at 5:14 AM, synapticcat said:

I've been thinking about this too. I have a septum piercing and am probably going to take it out, but leave my nose stud in. 

9 hours ago, bluebird8 said:

Wait, is this actually true? You can't talk about your research?

I think they meant this as a reason that you might get rejected, if you were unable to speak intelligently about the research that you described in your SOP.

9 hours ago, noisemaker483 said:

I think they meant this as a reason that you might get rejected, if you were unable to speak intelligently about the research that you described in your SOP.

Oh right. That would make sense. I did my research for 2 and a half years as an undergrad and I know it like the back of my hand, so I should be fine.

Hey lmao random question here - has anyone gotten sick before an interview? 

I have my third interview weekend coming up, and I'm supposed to leave tomorrow evening to get down to the campus (I live a bit over 1 hr away but they were nice enough to put me up in a hotel), but I have a bit of a cold as of this morning. I haven't been sick since back in June, so I guess I got unlucky and all the stress finally made me susceptible. 

I'm 99.9% sure I don't have the flu, and feel pretty okay besides a stuffy nose/a little bit of a scratchy throat. This is (I think) the only interview weekend left and I have everything set up already and am meeting with some faculty I'm highly interested in. Do you guys think I'll be okay toughing it out with some Dayquil and going? Has anyone been in this position before? I guess I'll bring some tissues and hand sanitizer and hope for the best haha. 

30 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

I have my third interview weekend coming up, and I'm supposed to leave tomorrow evening to get down to the campus (I live a bit over 1 hr away but they were nice enough to put me up in a hotel), but I have a bit of a cold as of this morning. I haven't been sick since back in June, so I guess I got unlucky and all the stress finally made me susceptible. 

I'm 99.9% sure I don't have the flu, and feel pretty okay besides a stuffy nose/a little bit of a scratchy throat. This is (I think) the only interview weekend left and I have everything set up already and am meeting with some faculty I'm highly interested in. Do you guys think I'll be okay toughing it out with some Dayquil and going? Has anyone been in this position before? I guess I'll bring some tissues and hand sanitizer and hope for the best haha. 

Oh no! I'm so sorry, that's a huge bummer. I think as long as you aren't coughing or sneezing too much it would be ok. Maybe with some extra sleep tonight (could you go to bed early or sleep in tomorrow morning?) you will feel a little better. Tissues + hand sanitizer + dayquil will probably be fine!! Hot water with a few slices of lemon and some fresh ginger always helps me feel more like myself. Feel better & good luck!!! 

3 hours ago, microbenerd2018 said:

Oh no! I'm so sorry, that's a huge bummer. I think as long as you aren't coughing or sneezing too much it would be ok. Maybe with some extra sleep tonight (could you go to bed early or sleep in tomorrow morning?) you will feel a little better. Tissues + hand sanitizer + dayquil will probably be fine!! Hot water with a few slices of lemon and some fresh ginger always helps me feel more like myself. Feel better & good luck!!! 

Haha thank you very much for the support! I stopped by to chat with my PI and he agrees I should go ahead and go. Currently drinking some chamomile tea and will get to bed early tonight and sleep in tomorrow. :D Good tip on the ginger and lemon! I will have to try. 

4 hours ago, synapticcat said:

I was getting over bronchitis for my first interview.... bring your own tea or water so if you start coughing or losing your voice during an interview you can just take a sip.... Im pretty sure I came off as very concerned about my hydration because I kept taking all the free water bottles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got a call with an admissions offer from one of my top choices (yay!) -- I really don't want to go to my final interview, which is two weeks from now, since I know I wouldn't go to that school over the one I just got accepted to and also am feeling really sick/burned out after traveling a lot over the past month. However, this last interview is at the university and department where I'm currently finishing up my undergrad, so will it look really bad/ungrateful for me to tell them that I won't be interviewing? On the one hand, there are no flights or accommodations they need to cancel, but on the other hand, I live here and still have to finish out my bachelor's in this department. What's the best way to phrase this email so I don't piss anyone off?