Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Just now, Kenga said:

Nobody did yet. So, don't worry.

It's been a little bit of an up-and-down cycle for me so far. I got a very early and enthusiastic acceptance to a top #15, a couple interviews, and an acceptance from a lower ranked program with good fit, and then a long string of silence. I've only gotten one actual rejection (Duke). So anyway, I'm just desperate to hear actual responses from the last few programs.

Now that I have one acceptance in the bag I've found the waiting way less stressful. 

With that said, I've had a completely silent week on the decision front and it's kind of freaking me out.

1 minute ago, StrengthandHonor said:

It's been a little bit of an up-and-down cycle for me so far. I got a very early and enthusiastic acceptance to a top #15, a couple interviews, and an acceptance from a lower ranked program with good fit, and then a long string of silence. I've only gotten one actual rejection (Duke). So anyway, I'm just desperate to hear actual responses from the last few programs.

I am in a similar situation. But I think I will know every answer before Carnival.

ND is mine. Excited as I think it is the best fit for me. Email with a letter with further details on visit weekend to come. (And I just checked my Georgetown application - I had somehow started two and two of my referees submitted their LoRs to one and the third to the other so that's screwed up the Georgetown application. I probably won't even get a rejection as the application I submitted only had one LoR on it!!)

1 minute ago, cydxb said:

ND is mine. Excited as I think it is the best fit for me. Email with a letter with further details on visit weekend to come. (And I just checked my Georgetown application - I had somehow started two and two of my referees submitted their LoRs to one and the third to the other so that's screwed up the Georgetown application. I probably won't even get a rejection as the application I submitted only had one LoR on it!!)

What subfield? And was the email from the DGS or a POI? And congratulations, by the way!

Edited by StrengthandHonor

2 minutes ago, cydxb said:

I am sorry for your problems with Georgetown, but congratulations on ND!

Just now, mstama123 said:

This application season will be the end of me because mindlessly refreshing my email repeatedly with no reward is more tempting than writing my MA thesis.

I totally understand you. I should have finished my literature review by now but I prefer to refresh my email like a maniac ;) 

2 minutes ago, Bibica said:

Y'all, after the drama of earlier, I just got a Yale admit. LOL

Congrats!

1 minute ago, mstama123 said:

This application season will be the end of me because mindlessly refreshing my email repeatedly with no reward is more tempting than writing my MA thesis.

I relate to that so much. I have a conference paper that I've been procrastinating for the last month. 

3 minutes ago, Bibica said:

Y'all, after the drama of earlier, I just got a Yale admit. LOL

So those weren't fake? Or just some were? Or none? We'll never know.

Congrats!

Any reason to wait to potentially get off of NYU's waitlist instead of accepting Columbia's offer now? The only comparative advantage is the quantitative training, but it seems like I can get a comparable experience at Columbia as well with a far better substantive overlap.

@StrengthandHonor comparative subfield. It was from the DGS but did a Skype interview with a POI last week. A standard letter (I presume standard) with funding details was attached. 

@VMcJ it's what happens when you do an application and are then out of contact with the world for three weeks! Well, no harm done I suppose 

7 minutes ago, Monody said:

Any reason to wait to potentially get off of NYU's waitlist instead of accepting Columbia's offer now? The only comparative advantage is the quantitative training, but it seems like I can get a comparable experience at Columbia as well with a far better substantive overlap.

You have until April 15th. I do not understand why anyone would want to accept any offer now even if you do not have competing offers until you visit (unless you do not plan on visiting). 

Just now, resDQ said:

You have until April 15th. I do not understand why anyone would want to accept any offer now even if you do not have competing offers until you visit (unless you do not plan on visiting). 

Closure, I guess. I like to have things in order well ahead of time. 

Just now, Monody said:

Closure, I guess. I like to have things in order well ahead of time. 

that is a good point. It is a Friday! Don't think about it until Monday.

Wouldn't it make the recruitment visit awkward then? 

2 minutes ago, resDQ said:

that is a good point. It is a Friday! Don't think about it until Monday.

Wouldn't it make the recruitment visit awkward then? 

Ay. I may also write a short email to Gelman and ask whether Columbia can offer comparable training to NYU's. 

It doesn't have to be awkward. It's a great way to get some books across the Atlantic without paying for shipping.

Edited by Monody

16 minutes ago, Monody said:

I wouldn't trade Columbia for NYU, unless the fit is way better.