SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

I didn't get a letter today in downtown Montreal, but I did get an email from McGill GPS! It was just an automated email saying that I had received a fellowship so I don't know which one, but McGillians might want to check your email! (ftr I just finished my MA at McGill and am attending Concordia in the fall so it was my current school, not my future one). Also if you don't have an email waiting don't get discouraged they may not send them all at once. Just figured people might like to know this info.

Edited by crunchtastic

Got mine today in Ottawa, rejected (waitlisted) with a 12.9/20.

Anyone else willing to share scores to give those of us on the waitlist an idea of where we are?

No letter received yet but grad studies informed that I have been waitlisted. For the waitlisted applicants, it will be nice if you can share your committee too as from previous years we have seen that different committees have different cutoff points for waitlisting. Mine was committee 5 and currently I do not know my score

Edited by Smurf

Got the news from my department that I won a fellowship but no details on which one.

To those who weren't successful: I didn't win as a first-year Ph.D. last year. I was so upset for several days and felt completely rejected. To be honest, I had a bit of a breakdown. But I used the rejection to work my butt off and published 3 single-authored articles this year to increase my chances. So my advice: don't let this get to you too much. We're not supposed to win everything. Your time will come and you will win and it's ok to feel sad. 

3 hours ago, Frettchen said:

Has anyone got news from Concordia yet? I'm not sure if I should ask my department assistant or the university Awards Office. Nothing in the mail today (Montreal) and my frustration/anticipation is mounting!

Nothing from Concordia yet (and nothing in the mail either)! I emailed the graduate awards office, no response.. (Graduate-Awards@concordia.ca).. it's  Dolly Grewal who takes care of sshrc, I emailed her and I got an automatic reply saying she won't be in her office until May 3rd.

Edited by Magdulia

17 minutes ago, Smurf said:

No letter received yet but grad studies informed that I have been waitlisted. For the waitlisted applicants, it will be nice if you can share your committee too as from previous years we have seen that different committees have different cutoff points for waitlisting. Mine was committee 5 and currently I do not know my score

Good point: For the record then I applied to committee 5 as well and received an 12.9/20 and was waitlisted. 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:02 PM, Oshawott said:

@jennyeee I'm also from Western but didn't get an email. You can go to student center and check under "Graduate External Scholarships" to see if you got the award. I found out I got the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship this way when Erin Daley only emailed me about OGS. Not sure what the disparity is though (maybe they were going alphabetically and clocked out mid-way? Maybe they prioritized OGS and CGS?)

@storiesofsnow and @howlx; if you don't mind my asking, did you both get the CGS/waitlisted for CGS or the Doctoral Fellowship? I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get an email (and am really hoping I wasn't accidentally awarded lol...). 

I got the CGS, so that could be it? In any case, congratulations!!!

15 hours ago, rugox said:

Hopefully your letter comes quicker than usual. I'm in Delaware, so it will be either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'm in the UK. The waiting is a kind of oppression. 

2 hours ago, misswan said:

I'm in the UK. The waiting is a kind of oppression. 

Same here. I've had letters come from Canada to London in a few days and others in a few weeks--so there's really no telling how long we could be waiting...

27 minutes ago, FakeDoctor92 said:

Same here. I've had letters come from Canada to London in a few days and others in a few weeks--so there's really no telling how long we could be waiting...

Trying not to lay much hope on the possibility. I applied under a 'creative-reserach' project and it seems very few of these get through. 

Good luck to you

Edited by misswan

14 minutes ago, misswan said:

Trying not to lay much hope on the possibility. I applied under a 'creative-reserach' project and it seems very few of these get through. 

Good luck to you

Good luck to you both in UK. This is my 3rd time applying lol. Rejected the first time, waitlisted the second time. Given this trend, hoping that for my third time I will move up to being successful. If not...well so be it.

48 minutes ago, misswan said:

Good luck to you

I am under the same impression (that not too many research-creation projects get funded) but I also applied under this category and did get funded this year (after being waitlisted last year). So it is possible! Good luck to all. 

Did anybody who was successful at Western get an email from the scholarship coordinator* yesterday regarding accepting the award? I received an email Friday saying my application was successful. Like everyone else, still waiting on the letter to confirm that this is real. Seems like students are generally skeptical of good news, lol. 

*edit: not sure if this is correct title ?

Edited by QT55

1 hour ago, QT55 said:

Did anybody who was successful at Western get an email from Paula Menzies yesterday regarding accepting the award? I received an email Friday saying my application was successful. Like everyone else, still waiting on the letter to confirm that this is real. Seems like students are generally skeptical of good news, lol. 

Congratulations! You just have to accept it under your student centre account. They handle everything from there and will be in touch if anything else is required. :) Also probably best to keep full names off the site. And emails. If there's someone here who can remove the full emails from the previous messages, we can avoid making their lives complicated with a million spam emails. Remember these forums are public.

43 minutes ago, Lanie said:

Congratulations! You just have to accept it under your student centre account. They handle everything from there and will be in touch if anything else is required. :) Also probably best to keep full names off the site. And emails. If there's someone here who can remove the full emails from the previous messages, we can avoid making their lives complicated with a million spam emails. Remember these forums are public.

Thanks! Good point. I just edited it.