SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

Got a CGS. Will be turning down for Doctoral Fellowship as I am in the NJ, USA. 

Score of 14.8, committee 1, 1st year PhD at US school. Was  Change of reference from last year (rejected with score of 10.8) with some minor tweaks to SOP. 

Good luck everyone!

1 minute ago, genderboi said:

Score of 14.8, committee 1, 1st year PhD at US school. Was  Change of reference from last year (rejected with score of 10.8) with some minor tweaks to SOP. 

Good luck everyone!

First off, congrats! It's a great honour to get to put the CGS on your CV, even if you can only take the fellowship.

Second off, your case really highlights what an arbitrary crapshoot this whole thing is. Changing one reference for another doesn't seem like a big enough deal to mean the difference between rejection and the GCS, but apparently that little can make a huge difference :/

3 minutes ago, mwigg said:

First off, congrats! It's a great honour to get to put the CGS on your CV, even if you can only take the fellowship.

Second off, your case really highlights what an arbitrary crapshoot this whole thing is. Changing one reference for another doesn't seem like a big enough deal to mean the difference between rejection and the GCS, but apparently that little can make a huge difference :/

Exactly! It's a huge crapshoot.

I should note, however, that when I applied originally, I geared my SOP explicitly towards English programs. This marked a major shift in my (inter)disciplinary training in WGS. I was not admitted to any English/Lit PhD programs  and was not awarded the SSHRC, but did end up at one of the best WGS PhD programs in the world. And hence, I think it is this fact of being firmly situated in a program when you apply - especially true for interdisciplinary programs, I think - along with the letter from a current supervisor that really pushed my application up a notch this year.  

19 minutes ago, Hattt said:

I emailed grad.awards@ualberta.ca. I could not wait any longer!

Congratulations! 

I broke down and emailed FGSR this afternoon too. I won a CGS which I am very lucky and thankful for. 

I said it earlier in the thread but to all those who didn't win: I lost last year. You can improve the CV and program of study and win it next year. Don't let this shake you up too much. Your time will come. 

36 minutes ago, genderboi said:

Exactly! It's a huge crapshoot.

I should note, however, that when I applied originally, I geared my SOP explicitly towards English programs. This marked a major shift in my (inter)disciplinary training in WGS. I was not admitted to any English/Lit PhD programs  and was not awarded the SSHRC, but did end up at one of the best WGS PhD programs in the world. And hence, I think it is this fact of being firmly situated in a program when you apply - especially true for interdisciplinary programs, I think - along with the letter from a current supervisor that really pushed my application up a notch this year.  

amazing!! congrats! I still can't wrap my head around why they would give american students a CGS knowing full well they can only take a fellowship... 

8 hours ago, adepaola21 said:

Hey everyone!

I emailed my grad secretary regarding my status. She told me I have been successful. I'm not sure which award I have received yet though. But just to point out for those waiting, I did not have any publications, only conferences (only one being peer reviewed). Therefore, it IS possible to get an award without pubs. I have to give most of the credit to my references, and a reformatted proposal from last year. I was in committee 3.

Good luck to all still waiting; and congrats to those who have received awards! 

Just following up with my message. I received the mail today in Kingston ON. I got a score of 18.15/20 and a CGS! 
I hope you all receive good news as well!

Hi hive mind, this thread has been really informative! I am an external/independent candidate, firs time doctoral applicant, starting this fall. After still not receiving anything in the mail, I was able to speak with someone today at the university I will be attending (the same and only university I identified on my SSHRC application). They told me that my name isn’t on their list of results, however, they do in fact have the results for other external candidates. This leads me to believe that they may only have the list of external candidates that were successful? Anyone have experience with this? Hoping Canada Post TO comes through tomorrow to put an end to all this anticipation! thx

How do you know what committee you're on? I just got my letter--offered fellowship with 13.8/20. I can't find anywhere on the letter where says which committee adjudicated me ....

1 hour ago, genderboi said:

Good luck everyone!

Oooh congrats! I'm surprised you did Committee 1 since you said your new work is so interdisciplinary! Still mostly literature based?

5 minutes ago, violabec said:

How do you know what committee you're on? I just got my letter--offered fellowship with 13.8/20. I can't find anywhere on the letter where says which committee adjudicated me ....

Ahhh, never mind. I must be Committee 1 (Literature and fine arts) -- I figured it out by myself, haha.

7 minutes ago, 1Q84 said:

Oooh congrats! I'm surprised you did Committee 1 since you said your new work is so interdisciplinary! Still mostly literature based?

Yes, I was hesitant to reapply to this committee after being rejected last year, but my research really doesn't fit neatly into any one category. I am firmly rooted in the "humanities" camp of WGS so decided to gear my SOP towards committe 1. 

The school is really annoying with this....they know who won, but I am not allowed to activate the award until the snail mail has arrived....despite the fact that every other document I sign and send around is being sent electronically.

This has got to be some next-level inefficiency and because of how late the mail arrived, I am unable to start it for the summer semester.

Vancouver: thin envelope arrived this afternoon.  Time for an overhaul.  (Thinking of all the learning since I applied last Fall - I'm going to put it to work!)

A warm (well, rainy) thanks to all those who shared updates on this thread... it helps to better understand how this process works. I appreciate that it often takes more than one try. 

And, a hearty Congratulations to those with a thick envelope!  Well Done!!

For the other 1,183 of us: no shame.  It was a bubble of time imagining the possibilities... and I wish you all the best in what unfolds next!!   Take care.

I received a letter today in the GTA if anyone else is still waiting. Awarded CGS officially with a score of 18.6 - doesn't say what committee though?

Thanks for forum discussions this year all! Best of luck to everyone next year. It's totally a crapshoot so don't be discouraged. I was denied CGS Master's last year, so it's a nice treat this year.

Happy summer!

3 hours ago, storiesofsnow said:

Letters arrived in London today too--scored 15.3/20 (committee 1) and received a CGS!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Now I'm really anxious because I've lost mail before in my apartment. I guess I can always email SSHRC to see what address it was forwarded to :'(