PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

1 hour ago, SocialEpi1216 said:

Anyone want to claim the Berkeley Epi acceptance? Do you know if all acceptances were sent out?

I heard back from Berkeley last night pretty informally (through a professor that I met with) and then later received an official letter from the school of public health.  It seems like it's probably rolling rather than all acceptances sent out - earlier in the process, they mentioned that final decision won't be out until later February/Early March.  Best of luck!!

10 minutes ago, SDOHEpi said:

I heard back from Berkeley last night pretty informally (through a professor that I met with) and then later received an official letter from the school of public health.  It seems like it's probably rolling rather than all acceptances sent out - earlier in the process, they mentioned that final decision won't be out until later February/Early March.  Best of luck!!

58 minutes ago, JSnow said:

Maybe rolling? That's not mine to claim but got word a few weeks back, with the official (From UCB Grad School) this week.

Okay, thank you so much!

57 minutes ago, T7879 said:

My research interests include vaccines and immunization, HPV and HPV-related diseases, other sexually transmitted infections, vaccine promotion, and maternal immunization - I've found a couple great profs at UNC who seem to share similar interests, so I'm hoping to hear good news soon!  How about you? 

Mine is social epi/chronic diseases. I also spoke to one professor with similar interests and her current doctoral student. I'm hopeful and anxious, good luck! 

3 hours ago, T7879 said:

UNC epi update - I got an email this morning asking me to upload my updated Fall 2016 transcript.  So at the very least, they seem to be reviewing applications, but I'm not sure how long it'll take.

Oooh that is good to know-thanks for the update! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? 

45 minutes ago, EpiPhDGal said:

Oooh that is good to know-thanks for the update! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? 

I submitted on November 11 and my letters of reference were in by the end of November. 

24 minutes ago, T7879 said:

I submitted on November 11 and my letters of reference were in by the end of November. 

Ok, thanks. I am wondering if they are looking at the applications in order of submission. Anyway, I suppose it is best just to relax and let the chips fall where they may! 

4 hours ago, NutriG said:

have you heard anything yet for nutrition yet?

Hi, sorry, yes I was contacted for an interview. It sounded like they had created a shortlist but maybe contact the department to be sure?

In other news, I'm now cringing at some of my interview responses. This process is so stressful. 

25 minutes ago, phperson said:

Anyone apply to UNC's Maternal and Child Health PhD program? I thought they did interviews, but haven't heard anything from them. I'll probably reach out to the program coordinator this afternoon.

Is anyone else apprehensive about contacting program coordinators about admissions?  I am partially because I don't want to seem pushy, but mostly because I'm afraid of getting bad news... 

15 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Is anyone else apprehensive about contacting program coordinators about admissions?  I am partially because I don't want to seem pushy, but mostly because I'm afraid of getting bad news... 

I really don't think they mind, if it helps. 

5 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Yeah, very understandable on not trying to seem pushy. I usually try to avoid contacting admissions people, but I made an exception in this case because I'm planning work-related travel now and want to try my best to not pick conflicting dates.

I've also met a lot of the program coordinators, and they were all super friendly and approachable! That also gave me a bit more confidence to contact them.

19 hours ago, Equipoise17 said:

I received an invitation for an interview next month. I applied on 12/12 

Congrats! I applied on 12/15 and haven't heard anything. Although my hopes aren't too high for Yale anyway. 

10 hours ago, light10491 said:

Do you guys think admissions this year is affected by Trump, in terms of concerns on funding availability, fund freezing, fewer slots available?

Probably for people applying for any environmental health track or programs. The pool of applicants is also different, many international students have decided to apply to programs elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, light10491 said:

Do you guys think admissions this year is affected by Trump, in terms of concerns on funding availability, fund freezing, fewer slots available?

I had a few informal talks with professors and I think people are very concerned about funding and it's not just EHS. If your work involves supporting or understanding health disparities for immigrant populations, Latino populations, or combinations of how health policies or disparate access impact health, I think you are not feeling confident that you will continue to be funded by the NIH if budgets start to get slashed. 

3 hours ago, epiforme said:

Yes. And I sincerely hope everybody views that as devastating, not a competitive advantage.

I am am international student, I wish I had applied to other programs in Europe or Canada,  I never thought it was going to be this bad :( 

6 minutes ago, Equipoise17 said:

I am am international student, I wish I had applied to other programs in Europe or Canada,  I never thought it was going to be this bad :( 

I am an international student too. I applied to McGill on November 9th - this is now my top choice pretty much.