Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

18 hours ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

Anyway, I just thought I'd share and use this as an opportunity to tell everyone to go out and have fun! I know everyone isn't done yet and some are still waiting, but self care is so important! I encourage everyone to go catch a movie, hang with friends, SOMETHING. Just stop refreshing!! Good things will come! 

The day after my last interview I already have a celebratory tattoo session scheduled. What perfect timing for a tax refund to come in this year! 

12 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

I am getting so run down after this these interviews. I feel like traveling really throws me off and after a day or so I start to feel like complete crap! I cannot wait to be finished with this marathon interviewing. Anyone else feel like this?

Definitely. I was so emotionally and physically exhausted from the interviewing and the traveling. Ultimately, I ended up with bronchitis, so hopefully you are staying well!

14 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

Definitely. I was so emotionally and physically exhausted from the interviewing and the traveling. Ultimately, I ended up with bronchitis, so hopefully you are staying well!

Oh no! I hope you're doing better!

Its been rough. I was handling it decently well until after my last interview and then slept weird due to exhaustion and ended up messing up my shoulder -_- I'm used to lifting/carrying heavy things so it can't heal properly because I forget and keep straining it XD Maybe I should put in for sick days but working keeps me from panicking about admission decisions.

1 hour ago, nervous_nellie said:

I am getting so run down after this these interviews. I feel like traveling really throws me off and after a day or so I start to feel like complete crap! I cannot wait to be finished with this marathon interviewing. Anyone else feel like this?

Yes! At the same time I enjoy it immensely. So weird!

I got sick twice in 3 weeks because of traveling :/ it's hard jumping back into work after all of this but I'm definitely trying to take time to relax when I can. 

Just now, DrGirl said:

I got sick twice in 3 weeks because of traveling :/ it's hard jumping back into work after all of this but I'm definitely trying to take time to relax when I can. 

Yeah, I've taken some personal days just so that I could relax for a day before leaving for a different interview. My poor boss/coworkers haven't seen me in a month...

On 12/6/2016 at 0:07 PM, Dondante_MMJ said:

My research interest center around substance use, recovery, as well as mental health stigmatization. Pretty much found substance use fits in labs. Prefer to study recovery outcomes but most people focus on individuals in active addiction. 

I have similar research interests! 

2 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Oh no! I hope you're doing better!

Its been rough. I was handling it decently well until after my last interview and then slept weird due to exhaustion and ended up messing up my shoulder -_- I'm used to lifting/carrying heavy things so it can't heal properly because I forget and keep straining it XD Maybe I should put in for sick days but working keeps me from panicking about admission decisions.

Thanks! I'm finally starting to feel better. I finally went to the doctor a few days ago on the prodding of my fiancé. Hopefully the meds will knock it out soon. I hope your should feels better!

Yeah, I've taken some personal days just so that I could relax for a day before leaving for a different interview. My poor boss/coworkers haven't seen me in a month...

Yeah, I ended up taking two sick days last week even though I'd been out for so much time already. I just need to rest. I hope this all calms down for you soon. 

I have to say, it was fun visiting the programs and meeting people, but I was so glad to be home. 

3 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

I understand! I'm doing this all while in my final semester of undergrad. I'm missing class time, time to work on my thesis, and other things. Every time I get back from an interview time starts and I have to play catch up to ensure my grades stay up to par and thesis gets done. It can be very stressful, but hang in there! We're almost done!

37 minutes ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

I understand! I'm doing this all while in my final semester of undergrad. I'm missing class time, time to work on my thesis, and other things. Every time I get back from an interview time starts and I have to play catch up to ensure my grades stay up to par and thesis gets done. It can be very stressful, but hang in there! We're almost done!

I'm in the same boat, trying to balance interviews with thesis writing is pretty difficult. 

48 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Anyone hear back from UNC Greensboro or UMass Boston post interview? Any info would be much appreciated!

I was told that UNCG would notify applicants within 10-12 days of interviewing. Should hear back by the end of the week!

This past weekend I went to Palo Alto University and I absolutely LOVED the program and all the faculty/staff. However, the program is so freakin' expensive, and it would be a cross-country relocation for me. I'm not sure if I should make this commitment.

Does anyone know of any other practitioner-scientist (Vail) model PhD programs I could look at for in the future?  

Edited by UngSully

8 hours ago, Mgl17 said:

I was told that UNCG would notify applicants within 10-12 days of interviewing. Should hear back by the end of the week!

Thanks! Its been a whirlwind the past few weeks and hard to keep track of everything. Fingers crossed!

Hi! Could anyone who got into UCLA please message me their POI? Or if in general if they know if the school is done extending offers? Just b/c I'm holding multiple offers atm and am trying to determine a timeline for how long I should expect to have to hold on to them.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, HopefullyDr said:

I am waiting for the rest of my decisions before accepting.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, psychlife4me said:

I'm waiting to know for sure on a school I'm waitlisted at before I make a final decision!

We should def start a thread letting each other know where we end up. I got an offer from GMU, one of my top choices, which I accepted. It was a tough call because there were several programs I interviewed at that I loved, but this was the best fit. After four years of uncertainty over my future, it is strange but wonderful to know where I'll be, and that I am moving toward my goal in a very concrete way. If anyone else is going to be at GMU, we should get in touch!

Good luck everyone with your decisions :-)

1 minute ago, stereopticons said:

Totally with you on that. And do I want to work with some of these people?

That worries me as well. It is pretty interesting to see Weiner's Attribution Theory at work on something as small as a result post though. I think the little things like that have taught me that I personally fit in in a much more laid back type of environment. One that of course pushes for success but isn't as cut throat competitive within the program.

1 minute ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

I'm confuzzled! Did I miss something? What happened on the results page? Inquiring--re:nosy--minds want to know. 

Haha, nothing in particular, just looking back and reading through the results. I think sometimes it is just difficult to be perceived "not good enough," for a program. Different people handle it in different ways. Some I understand and others are extremely prideful.