Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

17 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

I was checking the page to see if anyone heard from UConn since I too forgot to ask ? I told myself last week that I wouldn't stress after interviews but here I am....stressing lol

Hahah naturally, it's impossible not to. I wound up going through all the past acceptances and interview dates cause I'm insane. It seems like in the past, people have heard back around 2 weeks later (which feels like an eternity). I'm thinking that they'll probably discuss how interviews went at lab meeting (wednesday) so at the very least we probably shouldn't expect to hear anything before then. Best of luck!

I am so confused (and also frustrated). At the beginning of application season, I got two interview invitations fairly quickly and then was offered admission to my second choice. This gave me some confidence about the my applications, but I've received more rejections. I am feeling insecure and, although I am thrilled that I was accepted into a program, I am wondering if I have tricked a school into accepting me. If I only am being wanted at one school, am I actually qualified for obtaining a Ph.D? I still have to wait for a few schools to send decisions, but I am fairly certain that they will be rejection letters.

3 minutes ago, HopefullyDr said:

I am so confused (and also frustrated). At the beginning of application season, I got two interview invitations fairly quickly and then was offered admission to my second choice. This gave me some confidence about the my applications, but I've received more rejections. I am feeling insecure and, although I am thrilled that I was accepted into a program, I am wondering if I have tricked a school into accepting me. If I only am being wanted at one school, am I actually qualified for obtaining a Ph.D? I still have to wait for a few schools to send decisions, but I am fairly certain that they will be rejection letters.

Keep in mind that you can only attend one school, so one acceptance is really just as valuable as several! Another thing to keep in mind is that qualifications have much less to do than fit in these programs, so the programs that rejected you likely did not do so because they thought you were unqualified. =

Congrats on the acceptance! It is an enormous accomplishment, and you should feel very proud!

I know I've already asked about UVA clinical here, but does anyone have confirmation that UVA clinical interviews have already happened/ invites to interview have been extended? (Not Curry School). It seems odd that so little has been posted on the results board. Thanks!

BU Poster, congrats on your acceptance email! If you're willing, would you please PM me your POI's initials? Waiting with bated breath over here for a clue one way or the other. Interviews felt good but you never know how other candidates compare. Many thanks.

11 minutes ago, psych0627 said:

Keep in mind that you can only attend one school, so one acceptance is really just as valuable as several! Another thing to keep in mind is that qualifications have much less to do than fit in these programs, so the programs that rejected you likely did not do so because they thought you were unqualified. =

Congrats on the acceptance! It is an enormous accomplishment, and you should feel very proud!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Best of luck in your applications!

13 minutes ago, HopefullyDr said:

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Best of luck in your applications!

I had a similar experience, got two interview invites within an hour of each other on the same day and it's been radio silence from every other school I applied to. I got waitlisted at both...so...at least you have an offer! Also, don't forget how difficult these programs are to get into. Getting an offer at 1 is impressive. Congrats!

21 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

I had a similar experience, got two interview invites within an hour of each other on the same day and it's been radio silence from every other school I applied to. I got waitlisted at both...so...at least you have an offer! Also, don't forget how difficult these programs are to get into. Getting an offer at 1 is impressive. Congrats!

Thank you for sharing. This experience is very taxing but I know that the career at the end will be worth it. I hope that one of the programs takes you off of the wait-list. Getting that far is more than most people! 

2 hours ago, Rose1128 said:

Has anyone heard anything from JMU C-I Clinical/School Psych? I haven't seen anything on the results page and it looks like in previous years they're usually sending out invitations by now. 

I'm also waiting to hear back from JMU, especially since their website says interview invites are sent from February 1-15. I'll let you know if I hear anything! 

5 hours ago, HopefullyDr said:

Given how ruthless the scrutiny is at every school, you should absolutely banish the thought that you tricked anyone into giving you admission. This cycle the admissions process has apparently been brutal. There have been a greater number of applicants this year than ever before. So if someone has offered you admission, it is because they think you are the perfect fit for them. Nothing else. 
And admission depends on so many factors that have nothing to do with your specific skill sets that I don't think anyone should take a rejection personally. You have got one. That's the exact number of places you can say yes to. So say yes and congratulate yourself. You have done the (almost) impossible :)

1 hour ago, YES!!! said:

And admission depends on so many factors that have nothing to do with your specific skill sets that I don't think anyone should take a rejection personally. You have got one. That's the exact number of places you can say yes to. So say yes and congratulate yourself. You have done the (almost) impossible :)

This is so true. In my experience, there are a lot of political, behind-the-scenes, stuff that takes place to determine which POIs even get to accept students, so there are a lot of factors out of the control of applicants even.

School Name: Chestnut Hill College
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/2016
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Track: Generalist
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: January 24th  
Additional Info: 9am. Meet with 2 faculty members, students. criminal background form. campus tour

School Name: Spalding 
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/2/2017
Interview Date: 02/2/2017
Additional Info: 8:45 AM Arrive on campus, 9:00 AM  Morning Interviews Begin

, 11:15 -1:15 Information session/Lunch

School Name: Nova Southeastern 
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/2/17
Interview Date: 2/20/17  
Additional Info: introduction of faculty, information about the school and university, an individual interview with faculty, a group interview with faculty and an interview with students, continental breakfast

School Name: Widener
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/4/2017
Interview Date: January 18th  
Additional Info: 9am. Meet with 1 faculty members, students, campus tour

School Name: Wright Institute
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/24/2017
Interview Date: February 25th  
Additional Info: 9am. Meet with 1 faculty members

Just now, g.birster001 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Carnegie Mellon University?

Carnegie Mellon doesn't have a clinical program but I applied for the Health/Social program there and haven't heard anything. Called a few weeks ago and it sounded like not a lot of invites had gone out but I assume they have by now.

18 hours ago, YES!!! said:

Given how ruthless the scrutiny is at every school, you should absolutely banish the thought that you tricked anyone into giving you admission. This cycle the admissions process has apparently been brutal. There have been a greater number of applicants this year than ever before. So if someone has offered you admission, it is because they think you are the perfect fit for them. Nothing else. 

Thank you so much for the kind words! I did not consider the possibility that the schools received more applications than prior years so that explains the level of intense competition. It blows my mind how competitive this field is and I am proud that I have made it this far. I think this process has made me doubt myself and I really hope that I get some confidence back come fall. Thanks again!

Edited by HopefullyDr

1 hour ago, HopefullyDr said:

Thank you so much for the kind words! I did not consider the possibility that the schools received more applications than prior years so that explains the level of intense competition. It blows my mind how competitive this field is and I am proud that I have made it this far. I think this process has made me doubt myself and I really hope that I get some confidence back come fall. Thanks again!

I was reading somewhere that getting admission into a Clinical Psychology PhD program is more difficult that any other admission at the graduate level. More difficult than getting into law school, medical school, engineering school - anything. Getting in ANYWHERE is a fabulous achievement. Well done. Now go out and do some incredible research! :)