Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

Post interview advice- is it expected for applicants to email their POI and thank them for their time/ the opportunity to interview with them? I want to show my enthusiasm to work with them one last time but also don't want to seem overly eager!

14 minutes ago, neuropsych_nerd said:

Post interview advice- is it expected for applicants to email their POI and thank them for their time/ the opportunity to interview with them? I want to show my enthusiasm to work with them one last time but also don't want to seem overly eager!

I emailed mine and other falculty. Nothing too long -- just three lines saying thanks for the interview and that I enjoyed talking to them. 

57 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

Now that people have started interviewing/getting acceptances..what kinds of stipends are people seeing? What seems to be an appropriate amount? I know that this is all relative as cost of living is different in each city but I'm looking for a way to gauge how much stipend money is enough. 

Most of my offers have ranged from $13,500 - $25,000. I have no idea what would be enough, but graduate students at each place have said they made it work. 

17 hours ago, YES!!! said:

Your strike rate is amazing. Getting interview calls at 11 out of 16 is incredible. Now to just close on your top choice! Good luck!

I'm hoping for good end to the season. Thanks for the well wishes!

31 minutes ago, neuropsych_nerd said:

You should definitely email your POI and any other faculty you interviewed with. Just say you enjoyed your time at the school and look forward to hearing from them and they can contact you with any other questions. 

Anyone been accepted off a phone interview? I recently did and after not liking some of the other places I've interviewed at, I'm really thinking I will accept it. My only worry is, I haven't seen the facility/met the grad students yet. Is it weird to ask if I can come visit the campus so I can get a good feel for where I'll be the next 4-6 years or is that weird?

Any advice would be great!

37 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Anyone been accepted off a phone interview? I recently did and after not liking some of the other places I've interviewed at, I'm really thinking I will accept it. My only worry is, I haven't seen the facility/met the grad students yet. Is it weird to ask if I can come visit the campus so I can get a good feel for where I'll be the next 4-6 years or is that weird?

My mentor advised me that you should always visit in person if you're thinking of accepting. Faculty may not have much time to spend with you but at least having a brief conversation with them and a student or two will help you make a decision. Not to mention getting a feel for a new campus and town/city.

What do people think about declining interviews after finding a program that you love? I'm waiting on an official offer letter with funding, but I loved the school and don't feel like going on another interview is a good decision. Does that look bad on applicants? 

33 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

What do people think about declining interviews after finding a program that you love? I'm waiting on an official offer letter with funding, but I loved the school and don't feel like going on another interview is a good decision. Does that look bad on applicants? 

No, it does not look bad. If you know you are going to accept an offer somewhere else don't take up the space at another university. They may be able to interview another individual. It is the same as it being taboo to hold on to more than 2 offers at once. I think going to an interview at a university you know you don't want to attend looks bad on applicants.

1 hour ago, nervous_nellie said:

I've recently went through this. I ended up canceling to save money. This process has been too expensive to go to schools I'm no longer interested in attending. 

3 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

If you like a program and find out from the data of previous years that is available that you can live with the stipend they offer, then I think you can pretty much say good bye to all other interviews lined up. Too much time, money and stress goes into the travelling and preparation for the interviews and if you prize them less than what you already have, it doesn't make much sense enduring the ordeal. But be sure that there is an actual offer on the table before you decline the other interviews (as I'm sure you have already). Good luck and many congratulations! :)

8 hours ago, psychlife4me said:

Personally I think you MUST visit the campus before accepting. This is where you will live for the next 5-6 years. You HAVE to love the place, the lab, the people - everything. If it is possible to make the trip, please do so. Just hanging around the lab (legitimately of course and not lurking :)) will give a really good sense of how things function there. There is nothing worse than being stuck with a group or a place you don't really relate to. And if after visiting you still think it's the best place for you, then of course start looking for an apartment that you love as much as your program :)

I've been accepted to some programs and don't have any interview invites pending or anything, BUT I can't stop refreshing my email. This process has totally wrecked me mentally; I refresh my email every five minutes. Idk what I'm expecting to come! 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share and use this as an opportunity to tell everyone to go out and have fun! I know everyone isn't done yet and some are still waiting, but self care is so important! I encourage everyone to go catch a movie, hang with friends, SOMETHING. Just stop refreshing!! Good things will come! 

1 hour ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

I've been accepted to some programs and don't have any interview invites pending or anything, BUT I can't stop refreshing my email. This process has totally wrecked me mentally; I refresh my email every five minutes. Idk what I'm expecting to come! 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share and use this as an opportunity to tell everyone to go out and have fun! I know everyone isn't done yet and some are still waiting, but self care is so important! I encourage everyone to go catch a movie, hang with friends, SOMETHING. Just stop refreshing!! Good things will come! 

Very good advice but you know it's tough to let go and have faith. Particularly for those who are applying after some earlier attempts. It's a very crazy situation but I guess there is nothing to do but somehow hang in there. I think within a couple of weeks everything will fall into place for everyone so even if this time is tough, it's temporary. I really wish the process was less brutal but it's a simple case of demand and supply in this steam of study, isn't it? Good luck to everyone and remember, this too shall pass! 

On 2017/2/17 at 10:46 PM, g.birster001 said:

About how long did it take your POI to reply? If you don't mind me asking.

He replied within one day. He appeared to check emails very frequently because I always got a reply within one day. Hope this helps

27 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

How do I write a thank you email to my POI without sounding like a kiss up?

Just be genuine? I mean it's nice to send thank you notes shortly after the interview (1-2 days) as long as you don't sound presumptious or pushy. 

50 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

How do I write a thank you email to my POI without sounding like a kiss up?

I basically said thank you for your time/effort to host the event/consideration; I reiterated my excitement for the program/their work and said something specific I learned from the interviews. Just be authentic! 

21 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

I basically said thank you for your time/effort to host the event/consideration; I reiterated my excitement for the program/their work and said something specific I learned from the interviews. Just be authentic! 

This is basically what I did too. It's pretty short, only a couple sentences. I also added that if they had any more questions, to feel free to contact me. 

18 hours ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

Exactly! I have 1 acceptance, 2 interviews left, and I'm waiting for one school to get back to me...I know I'm not going to get any emails during the weekend but I'm still checking out of habit and then get disappointed that my inbox is empty. Worrying is a terrible habit when it's out of your control. I'm totally going to the gym to de-stress. Thanks for the reality check!!

I am getting so run down after this these interviews. I feel like traveling really throws me off and after a day or so I start to feel like complete crap! I cannot wait to be finished with this marathon interviewing. Anyone else feel like this?