Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

So I just received an email this morning from a school stating that the graduate college has reviewed my app and referred it to the psychology dept. Is it weird that it's just now going to the dept? I saw that this school had interviews for their clinical dept (so I assumed rejection) but I applied to their clinical "child" track so could this go through a separate process?

Anyone's thoughts/personal experiences are appreciated!

1 hour ago, ServeNStudy said:

Anybody else currently in a panic over cancelled flights due to inclement weather in the NorthEast that might prevent timely arrival for interviews? I emailed the coordinator to let her know I'm working on re-booking my travel arrangements but haven't heard anything in reply. This is my first choice school and super competitive so I am freaking out a bit! Ack!

This is me right now too! Been on hold for forever with the airline.... 

2 hours ago, Happy_Green_Inchworm said:

This is me right now too! Been on hold for forever with the airline.... 

2 hours ago, Sdlc1 said:

Same :(

Ditto, the calming elevator music is doing nothing for me right now

ETA: Finally got through! The automatically bumped me to the next flight. Bad news is my other interview was cancelled. FUUUUUUU-

Edited by 8BitJourney

3 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Has anyone heard back from USC since interviews? It's been almost a month now and I haven't heard anything myself or seen anything posted here. I emailed the clinical program coordinator last week to ask whether admissions offers had yet been extended and I haven't received a response. It's my top choice and I'm kind of going crazy not knowing, so if anyone could shed some light I would really appreciate it! :)

Still nothing on my end either. Best of luck, though! I am sure once they send out offers it will get out.

5 hours ago, ServeNStudy said:

Anybody else currently in a panic over cancelled flights due to inclement weather in the NorthEast that might prevent timely arrival for interviews? I emailed the coordinator to let her know I'm working on re-booking my travel arrangements but haven't heard anything in reply. This is my first choice school and super competitive so I am freaking out a bit! Ack!

You are not alone. I am stuck at the airport for half an day and my flight would take 13 hours to arrive at Boston. I am crossing my fingers hard hoping that I could arrive on time.

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Ditto, the calming elevator music is doing nothing for me right now

ETA: Finally got through! The automatically bumped me to the next flight. Bad news is my other interview was cancelled. FUUUUUUU-

This is crazy. You need to write to your POI and the grad office about this. There is no way they can cancel your interview slot because of this weather emergency. They HAVE to allow you to interview over Skype. Come on - everyone is doing it these days, so why not this school? Send out an email to your POI and request that you not be penalized for the doings of an inclement weather!

A question for those who have been here before - how much time do I have before I have to respond to the offer made by a school? I mean, after showing a lot of enthusiasm in a program and a POI over the past many months I can't suddenly go silent when they have made an offer, can I? I would like to wait till the results of some other schools are declared as well (which should be no later than the end of February) but what attitude do I take for now with the ones that have made a formal offer without getting their backs up? I know the bird in hand perspective but I'd really like to wait as well Thanks, in advance, for the advice :)

4 hours ago, YES!!! said:

A question for those who have been here before - how much time do I have before I have to respond to the offer made by a school? I mean, after showing a lot of enthusiasm in a program and a POI over the past many months I can't suddenly go silent when they have made an offer, can I? I would like to wait till the results of some other schools are declared as well (which should be no later than the end of February) but what attitude do I take for now with the ones that have made a formal offer without getting their backs up? I know the bird in hand perspective but I'd really like to wait as well Thanks, in advance, for the advice :)

The cudcp guidelines say that it's common practice that applicants can wait till April 15 before accepting any offer but more than 2 offers shouldn't be held at one time. Granted I'm sure you don't want to wait that long to accept any and a kindly worded email thanking admissions/the poi but letting them know that "you're weighing another offer (But still seriously considering theirs) since is still early in the process" should be understandable If you're a competitive applicant. For the wording of this email I highly suggest you get a mentor or faculty to provide input though...

Btw thanks for your concern :) I got a late email from the coordinator who's working hard to get me a Skype interview/rectify the situation. It's just messy because so many schools had interviews this week and I already couldn't attend the main day.

Edited by 8BitJourney

Another weather related inquiry - people interviewing at northern and potentially snowy schools (women) how are you handling the footwear situation? Should I bring shoes and change or just nix heels and wear flats?

Also, what kind of bag is everyone bringing around? Should I invest in a briefcase? I normally use backpacks/tote bags. Thanks!

Edited by Psyched56

53 minutes ago, Psyched56 said:

Another weather related inquiry - people interviewing at northern and potentially snowy schools (women) how are you handling the footwear situation? Should I bring shoes and change or just nix heels and wear flats?

Also, what kind of bag is everyone bringing around? Should I invest in a briefcase? I normally use backpacks/tote bags. Thanks!

I've been wearing boots. If you're going to be doing any walking outside in the snow, your feet will be cold in flats. I've also just been carrying my purse. It's big enough to hold my folder and other stuff. 

1 hour ago, Psyched56 said:

Yeah, I would definitely wear practical footwear and maybe bring flats/heels to change into once you get inside. You do NOT want to be miserable with cold/painful feet on top of the stress of an interview (and you definitely don't want to take a dive on some ice during a tour because you're wearing heels). No reasonable person will judge that.

11 minutes ago, Happy_Green_Inchworm said:

Yeah, I would definitely wear practical footwear and maybe bring flats/heels to change into once you get inside. You do NOT want to be miserable with cold/painful feet on top of the stress of an interview (and you definitely don't want to take a dive on some ice during a tour because you're wearing heels). No reasonable person will judge that.

Also, related to footwear, this may seem like an obvious tip but sometimes people (*cough* myself *cough*) forget: if you're wearing leather dress shoes, make sure they're broken-in BEFORE interview day. I got a new pair over Christmas and never wore them until the interview event... oh my god. I still have scabs/scrapes from the blisters, and this was more than 2 weeks ago. The second day of interviews I could hardly walk, I just hobbled everywhere slowly. Break in your shoes. 

1 hour ago, Psyched56 said:

A tote bag is fine but please wear boots. With the recent weather shift here you'll be miserable with heels or flats unless you plan to change at the site. But it'll be completely okay to wear nice boots

8 minutes ago, byn said:

It was a very dishonest move from your part as a "staff administrator" to remove ClinicalPsy/YES!!!'s 80+ negative ratings from posts on here by numerous members and leave a permanent "Abusive content" report on my profile, when I have never been abusive towards another member on this forum. On the contrary, many can attest I provided more than valuable feedback to many users on here. The fact that you were blatantly dishonest and unprofessionally handled a rather distasteful interaction of an arrogant member on a public forum speaks volumes of your personal biases. I will no longer provide feedback on this website- but I thought those who I've had the pleasure of interacting with on this website should be informed about your biased and arbitrary handling of this matter.

I wish the very best to all of you on this thread. Take care!

It almost looks like ClinicalPsy deleted their original account and took their posts/rating with it? The controversial comments they made are no longer visible (to me) either in this thread or on the YES!!! account. So it's possible that they deleted the account+comments and created a new one, thus the neutral rating? 

I posted a separate thread on this but wanted to check in here since more people read this!

help! anyone who applied to Yeshiva University!

Is anyone else having an issue where the PSYCAS application still has your application marked as incomplete? For me, everything is complete but it says they are still waiting on my official undergrad transcript. However, I sent my transcript a while ago and the admissions office, when I called, even confirmed that they had it but said it wouldn't update on the psycas application website right away. It's been over a month now though, and since other people have received interview requests I'm worried something was processed incorrectly.

So I'm wondering if this is normal and also happening to those of you who received an interview or admission? ty!

2 hours ago, Psyched56 said:

I am also contemplating the footwear situation. I'm a female wearing a pantsuit, so dress boots will look wrong with the cut of my pants. I'm planning to wear snow boots (pants tucked in) traveling by subway to my upcoming interview in NY and change into dress flats once inside since the interview will not require any walking outside. I think I'll also bring a plastic shopping bag to leave my boots in during the interview so they don't defrost snow all over the floor of the psychology department :) 

As for a bag, I'm bringing my trusty black fake leather tote bag/ large purse that I use for work and is big enough to hold my interview folio, water bottle, snack, wallet, etc. If I didn't have a bag like this, I would probably just bring a purse and carry my folio.

Sort of wishing I had applied to more schools in warmer climates right now, haha. Best of luck to everyone during this stormy time

23 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

A tote bag is fine but please wear boots. With the recent weather shift here you'll be miserable with heels or flats unless you plan to change at the site. But it'll be completely okay to wear nice boots

2 hours ago, Psyched56 said:

Honestly wear what is most comfortable and practical (within reason). The POI's all know that its a tough time weather wise and as long as one doesn't turn up looking like he/she just walked in out of a blizzard there should be no problem! And there is absolutely no need to buy a briefcase unless you think you will need it later. In any case at most schools there is a sort of waiting room where the applicants wait between interviews (if there are multiple interviews - with the POI, other Profs, Grad students etc). So you can easily leave your bag pack in this room and head to your interview with just your folder or diary or anything else you want to carry your things in.

5 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

The cudcp guidelines say that it's common practice that applicants can wait till April 15 before accepting any offer but more than 2 offers shouldn't be held at one time. Granted I'm sure you don't want to wait that long to accept any and a kindly worded email thanking admissions/the poi but letting them know that "you're weighing another offer (But still seriously considering theirs) since is still early in the process" should be understandable If you're a competitive applicant. For the wording of this email I highly suggest you get a mentor or faculty to provide input though...

Btw thanks for your concern :) I got a late email from the coordinator who's working hard to get me a Skype interview/rectify the situation. It's just messy because so many schools had interviews this week and I already couldn't attend the main day.

Thanks 8BitJourney for the guidance. I think the method you have suggested is the best way to go about this. Thanks again and good luck with your interview(s) this weekend!

14 minutes ago, rshoe said:

I posted a separate thread on this but wanted to check in here since more people read this!

help! anyone who applied to Yeshiva University!

Is anyone else having an issue where the PSYCAS application still has your application marked as incomplete? For me, everything is complete but it says they are still waiting on my official undergrad transcript. However, I sent my transcript a while ago and the admissions office, when I called, even confirmed that they had it but said it wouldn't update on the psycas application website right away. It's been over a month now though, and since other people have received interview requests I'm worried something was processed incorrectly.

So I'm wondering if this is normal and also happening to those of you who received an interview or admission? ty!

Same thing happened to me, and I unexpectedly got an interview invite last week! I checked my application and it was still listed as "incomplete" when I got the interview email. So don't worry yet! I heard from someone in the program that they keep sending out invitations until pretty late in the game.

5 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I really hope you get all your interviews in - on campus and over Skype. The good bit about all of this is that there are only a few weeks to go before it is all decided. How exciting! Have fun in the interviews and let them know you are fabulous :) 

2 hours ago, byn said:

It was a very dishonest move from your part as a "staff administrator" to remove ClinicalPsy/YES!!!'s 80+ negative ratings from posts on here by numerous members and leave a permanent "Abusive content" report on my profile, when I have never been abusive towards another member on this forum. On the contrary, many can attest I provided more than valuable feedback to many users on here. The fact that you were blatantly dishonest and unprofessionally handled a rather distasteful interaction of an arrogant member on a public forum speaks volumes of your personal biases. I will no longer provide feedback on this website- but I thought those who I've had the pleasure of interacting with on this website should be informed about your biased and arbitrary handling of this matter.

I wish the very best to all of you on this thread. Take care!

2 hours ago, JacobW83 said:

It almost looks like ClinicalPsy deleted their original account and took their posts/rating with it? The controversial comments they made are no longer visible (to me) either in this thread or on the YES!!! account. So it's possible that they deleted the account+comments and created a new one, thus the neutral rating? 

I'm going to respond here, because the moderation decisions made in this thread were not done by a single individual but by the moderating team as a whole. We actually do discuss things before we do them. 

Several users got warnings for extremely abusive use of the rating system (going back over the course of a few hours and down voting every post made, whether the content was objectionable or not), as well as abusive behavior such as pooling information about a user to try to make it easier for an admissions committee/external source to identify the user, with the hope that posts here would reflect negatively on them. 

Going back and individually checking each reputation given is nearly impossible to do, but with the extreme abuse of the system (and warnings given out), we decided that resetting the reputation was the best way to go. Each post still has reputation tied to it, but the dozens of unwarranted and abusive down votes should not follow someone around for the rest of their time here. 

I can appreciate disagreeing with moderation decisions, but derailing a thread even more because you disagree with them, without even trying to work it out with the moderation staff, not to mention the personal attacks (blatant dishonesty and unprofessional) just because you did not like being cited for your unprofessional behavior is over the line. Going back and hiding every one of your posts out of spite so they can't be useful to anyone else is just the icing on the cake.