Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

2 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Best of luck to you both! Its not easy applying to something as competitive as graduate school multiple times so hopefully your POIs see your dedication to the field.

I definitely get it. This is the last time I'm applying (After saying last year was the last time lol). I've gotten a few interviews and fingers crossed, we all have good news to share this year. 

Couple of schools I'm waiting for hear back from and not sure if I should hold out hope anymore. I checked the results page and didn't see much for them. Anyone have the scoop on these? (sorry if any are repeats from someone else): 

- U of Montana

- Utah State combined program

- U of Utah (counseling) 

-Lasalle U (I think their dates are much later, but does anyone have an idea how late? Just trying to plan my trips) 

Thanks in advance! 

For those who did not get into a program last cycle, what types of reasons do you cite for that? Were you able to get any interviews? Did any of your interviews seem to go poorly?

I have a couple of interviews lined up, (which I'm really happy about!), but I'm trying to be realistic about the outcome. So, I'd like to know what people's experiences have been with interviewing and not getting in if any one would be willing to share!

14 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

For those who did not get into a program last cycle, what types of reasons do you cite for that? Were you able to get any interviews? Did any of your interviews seem to go poorly?

I have a couple of interviews lined up, (which I'm really happy about!), but I'm trying to be realistic about the outcome. So, I'd like to know what people's experiences have been with interviewing and not getting in if any one would be willing to share!

Most cycles, I didn't even get an interview. The major thing that changed is I have more papers/presentations and more research experience positions 

16 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

Like @juhidee119, I had few interviews in previous cycles. In fact, I've had more interviews this cycle than all of my previous cycles put together. I have more full time research experience, a first author publication that I didn't have before (though I had publications for all rounds except my first), and I think most importantly, a much more solid idea of what I want to do. 

FWIW, during every cycle, I always said this would be my last, and I somehow still mustered the emotional energy to go through it again. Rejection happens. It sucks. But keep pushing and you'll make it eventually. 

4 hours ago, stereopticons said:

Like @juhidee119, I had few interviews in previous cycles. In fact, I've had more interviews this cycle than all of my previous cycles put together. I have more full time research experience, a first author publication that I didn't have before (though I had publications for all rounds except my first), and I think most importantly, a much more solid idea of what I want to do. 

FWIW, during every cycle, I always said this would be my last, and I somehow still mustered the emotional energy to go through it again. Rejection happens. It sucks. But keep pushing and you'll make it eventually. 

Hi Stereopticons: Thx for your sharing!! I am wondering to what extent should the research idea be solid and concrete. Say, when going to interviews, will POI ask for a very concrete plan (paradigms, methods, variables and how to index variables, candidate hypothesis, etc)? And I sincerely wish things work out for you!! Best wishes!!!

43 minutes ago, MrTree said:

Hi Stereopticons: Thx for your sharing!! I am wondering to what extent should the research idea be solid and concrete. Say, when going to interviews, will POI ask for a very concrete plan (paradigms, methods, variables and how to index variables, candidate hypothesis, etc)? And I sincerely wish things work out for you!! Best wishes!!!

I think it's more important to have a program of research that you want to study rather than a specific project idea. For example, it's not enough to say you want to study eating disorders. You need to say something more specific. That is the big change I made in this application cycle. I still don't have a dissertation topic that I specifically am looking at but my research interests are more focused. Does that make sense?

10 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I think it's more important to have a program of research that you want to study rather than a specific project idea. For example, it's not enough to say you want to study eating disorders. You need to say something more specific. That is the big change I made in this application cycle. I still don't have a dissertation topic that I specifically am looking at but my research interests are more focused. Does that make sense?

Definitely! Thank you very much!

Hi guys,

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, but I have my first interview in 3 days with my top choice school and I'm kind of freaking out. Does anyone have any last-minute preparation tips or suggestions on how to relax before/during interviews? Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

11 minutes ago, Display_Name_ said:

Hi guys,

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, but I have my first interview in 3 days with my top choice school and I'm kind of freaking out. Does anyone have any last-minute preparation tips or suggestions on how to relax before/during interviews? Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I have only had 2 phone interviews and my in person interviews are coming up soon. I think the best thing that I did for the phone interviews was set aside about 20 minutes before the interview and use it to focus on my breathing and meditate. Specifically focusing on allowing myself to present during the interview and understanding that whatever happens I will still be fed, housed, and happy. This process is important and stressful but it is definitely not the end all be all in life. 

Edited by Dondante_MMJ
typo

21 minutes ago, Dondante_MMJ said:

I have only had 2 phone interviews and my in person interviews are coming up soon. I think the best thing that I did for the phone interviews was set aside about 20 minutes before the interview and use it to focus on my breathing and meditate. Specifically focusing on allowing myself to present during the interview and understanding that whatever happens I will still be fed, housed, and happy. This process is important and stressful but it is definitely not the end all be all in life. 

Thanks, remembering that even a terrible interview isn't the end of the world is definitely something we should all keep in mind. I can be a nervous interviewer but I think trying to go in with that perspective will help to calm my nerves!

40 minutes ago, Display_Name_ said:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

The things that helped me the most:

1) Whenever you find yourself getting caught up in anxiety, nervousness, etc. try to redirect it to excitement. Being excited is much more enjoyable than being a giant stress ball. :) Plus, I found that it was much easier for me to channel all that energy more positively than try to totally calm myself down altogether. 

2) Remember that just as much as they're interviewing you, you're interviewing them, too. Right now they're your top choice program, but interview weekend is your chance to *really* learn if they're more than just a good fit on paper. 

3) As hard as it sounds...have fun!!! My mentor told me that before I left for my interview at my top choice program, and I thought she was kinda crazy. It wasn't until after my interviews were over and I had time to kill in the city that I realized how right she was. Yeah, it's super awkward meeting your competition--but it doesn't have to be. Enjoy yourself! You wouldn't have been invited to interview if you weren't qualified or a good fit "on paper." Now is the time for everyone to figure out if it's where you should be spending the next 5-6 years. In the beginning, I was so caught up in the more "academic fit," but then realized that there's so much more to it than that. 

Good luck! :)

Edit: I suppose #3 is more relevant if you're interviewing at a program that, once you get in, tends to be more collaborative in nature rather than competitive...

Edited by justbreathe

16 hours ago, juhidee119 said:

Couple of schools I'm waiting for hear back from and not sure if I should hold out hope anymore. I checked the results page and didn't see much for them. Anyone have the scoop on these? (sorry if any are repeats from someone else): 

- U of Montana

- Utah State combined program

- U of Utah (counseling) 

-Lasalle U (I think their dates are much later, but does anyone have an idea how late? Just trying to plan my trips) 

Thanks in advance! 

I am also waiting for Utah State and Utah's counseling program. From another thread it seemed like Utah State's interview weekend is in the next couple of weeks, so I am assuming a rejection from them. I called the University of Utah and they said that notifications will be going out this week. 

2 hours ago, HopefullyDr said:

I am also waiting for Utah State and Utah's counseling program. From another thread it seemed like Utah State's interview weekend is in the next couple of weeks, so I am assuming a rejection from them. I called the University of Utah and they said that notifications will be going out this week. 

oh thank you!! 

5 hours ago, Display_Name_ said:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Best advice I was given, "Remember that they are human, too. They eat, sleep, and use the bathroom, just like you do. Nothing to be nervous about."

Be yourself. It will go much smoother than you had imagined. 

5 hours ago, Display_Name_ said:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

I just finished my second interview and I have to say that so far, everything has been much more relaxed than I was expecting. It really seems more like (at least at these two schools, I can't speak for others) they are trying to get to know us as people rather than grill us. As long as you can communicate enthusiasm for your mentor's research projects and why you want to work on them, as well as have specifics about the program that you really like and be able to talk about that, I'm sure you will be fine!

The other thing I'd say is to read the graduate student handbook before your interview if you can find it online. That helped me a lot and I used it to think of more specific, informed questions to ask during my interviews.

I've also been trying to calm my nerves by just telling myself that these are just conversations. These PIs/faculty members/students WANT you to succeed, and are ultimately looking for someone who will fit best with their lab. So if you feel that it's a great fit and can communicate it, that's a leg up! And if you end up not feeling like it's a great fit, then that's good information to know as well, because you won't want to go there if the fit isn't there.

Good luck on your interview - my top choice is in 3 days too! I'm sure you will do well!

As applicants begin to receive offers keep in mind the Guidelines from the CUDCP. 

http://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/Summary of CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (BRIEF version for your website).pdf

Applicants should be mindful when holding offers from multiple programs. 

15 hours ago, elephantbird said:

I just finished my second interview and I have to say that so far, everything has been much more relaxed than I was expecting. It really seems more like (at least at these two schools, I can't speak for others) they are trying to get to know us as people rather than grill us. As long as you can communicate enthusiasm for your mentor's research projects and why you want to work on them, as well as have specifics about the program that you really like and be able to talk about that, I'm sure you will be fine!

The other thing I'd say is to read the graduate student handbook before your interview if you can find it online. That helped me a lot and I used it to think of more specific, informed questions to ask during my interviews.

I've also been trying to calm my nerves by just telling myself that these are just conversations. These PIs/faculty members/students WANT you to succeed, and are ultimately looking for someone who will fit best with their lab. So if you feel that it's a great fit and can communicate it, that's a leg up! And if you end up not feeling like it's a great fit, then that's good information to know as well, because you won't want to go there if the fit isn't there.

Good luck on your interview - my top choice is in 3 days too! I'm sure you will do well!

Thanks a lot! It feels like a weight off my shoulders every time I read about people's positive experiences. Good luck on your interview as well! I wonder if we're interviewing at the same school...

On 2/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, Dondante_MMJ said:

I am wondering if anyone has any information on WashU or U of Montana?

I emailed u of Montana and they had said all offers would go out by 2/3 so I guess bad news for both of us ?

On 1/27/2017 at 4:04 PM, WhereamI said:

Has anyone heard from Clinical Science/ Psychology PhD at Harvard? I just saw an update that someone got a POI phone interview but my understanding was that department (POI MN) did not do interviews. 

Harvard Psychology poster who accepted on Feb 3 - congrats! Could you please PM me POI name? I'd really appreciate it - as that would give me an idea whether to wait or give up hope. Thanks in advance!

Harvard Psychology  poster who accepted on Feb 3 - congrats! Could you please PM me POI name?
I'd really appreciate it - as that would give me an idea whether to wait or give up hope. Thanks in
advance!
  •  

8 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Anyone got any quick tips for a phone interview? I have one later today and they didn't really provide any information about how it will be going so I'm hoping I'm prepped correctly. Thanks!

I had one last week and it was no where near as formal as I thought it was going to be. I had 3 different colored note cards One was questions for her, one was questions about the program, and one was just information about my own research experience that I may forget to put in. 

Smile on the phone, I was told to do this by all the faculty members in the lab I work in! I know it sounds ridiculous but it really puts a different and more positive inflection on your voice. Which leads to also dressing up. Sounds even more ridiculous  but I also wore a suit for my phone interview. Helped me get into the mindset of A.) feeling like a badass, and B.) knowing something professional and important was about to happen.

Relax, don't feel the need to ramble on, and be comfortable with brief moments of silence, it is OK to think about an answer and it is OK that the other person is thinking as well.

Edited by Dondante_MMJ