Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

7 hours ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Thanks justbreathe. I guess I am not getting an invite from there then. It's cool actually. I had applied there to be able to surf for 5 years :) I have interviews with much much higher rated schools. Though I wonder on what basis a school like UManoa can reject an application which receives an interview call from UBerkeley :)

Lol the rankings are basically meaningless. Look at the methodology

1 hour ago, 8BitJourney said:

Fit, funding, how you came across in your application materials; there are many reasons.

BTW gonna echo stereopticons on this. There are a few members here that I've accidentally found on other boards I frequent. If a current grad student took your comment personally they may try to help the program 'dodge a bullet'. 

Not to mention faculty and administrators do read these boards. If you're trying to put your best foot forward for an interview, this is not the way to do it. 

5 minutes ago, MrTree said:

Hello! I have a question... When there's a graduate student hosting me, am I supposed to bring pillow and quit/blanket on my own……?

I never have. I would assume most graduate students who agree to host someone have basic necessities (blanket, pillow) for you. If you're driving, sure, bring it, but if you're flying, I wouldn't worry about it. 

2 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I never have. I would assume most graduate students who agree to host someone have basic necessities (blanket, pillow) for you. If you're driving, sure, bring it, but if you're flying, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Thank you. I am flying actually : )

To the Temple poster who got an email on 2/3 saying he/she was not an alternate after the interview-- did you email the DCT or your POI and get a response, or did you just receive an email updating you? I've emailed both the DCT and my POI, but still haven't heard about my status after the interview. Thanks for your help!!

10 hours ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Thanks justbreathe. I guess I am not getting an invite from there then. It's cool actually. I had applied there to be able to surf for 5 years :) I have interviews with much much higher rated schools. Though I wonder on what basis a school like UManoa can reject an application which receives an interview call from UBerkeley :)

Maybe the apathy towards the school and your sense of self importance were both really apparent in your SOP. 

25 minutes ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

Maybe the apathy towards the school and your sense of self importance were both really apparent in your SOP. 

Okay, so I didn't like ClinicalPSY's phrasing either, but can we all stop bashing him/her now? 

This is a stressful process for everyone, so I think we can exhibit a little more grace. 

18 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Okay, so I didn't like ClinicalPSY's phrasing either, but can we all stop bashing him/her now? 

This is a stressful process for everyone, so I think we can exhibit a little more grace. 

No one bashed him. Not even close to what I would consider bashing. He asked on what basis the school could reject him -- I provided feedback on a potential reason why. 

Furthermore, being stressed doesn't afford you with the right to talk down on a school. There was nothing "graceless" about with anyone said, IMO. It was all in the same vain as the OP's original message.

26 minutes ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

No one bashed him. Not even close to what I would consider bashing. He asked on what basis the school could reject him -- I provided feedback on a potential reason why. 

Furthermore, being stressed doesn't afford you with the right to talk down on a school. There was nothing "graceless" about with anyone said, IMO. It was all in the same vain as the OP's original message.

Maybe it's just my interpretation, but some of the feedback people are providing appears to be passive agressive in nature. (I could be totally wrong, as I've been wrong before in interpreting voice over the internet.) It would have been one thing if people said "well, maybe you didn't have a good fit there" or something like that. But getty what appears to be snarky really doesn't accomplish anything, except perhaps to give an outlet to the snarky folks. And I never said that being stressed affords you the right to talk down a school... however, it probably explains why they phrased thigns that way. I, personally, can at least understand and be a little gracious towards them and their response when I think about things in this framework even though I don't think ClinicalPSY's phrasing was gracious at all.

Yet, while some of the responses where indeed in the same vain of the comment about Minoa and UC Berkley (which was a graceless comment), stooping to the same level is pointless. 

Anyways, I didn't come on here to argue with anonymous internet folks. I hope everyone has a good Super Bowl Sunday, and best of luck with the interview/admissions process. 

12 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Maybe it's just my interpretation, but some of the feedback people are providing appears to be passive agressive in nature. (I could be totally wrong, as I've been wrong before in interpreting voice over the internet.) It would have been one thing if people said "well, maybe you didn't have a good fit there" or something like that. But getty what appears to be snarky really doesn't accomplish anything, except perhaps to give an outlet to the snarky folks. And I never said that being stressed affords you the right to talk down a school... however, it probably explains why they phrased thigns that way. I, personally, can at least understand and be a little gracious towards them and their response when I think about things in this framework even though I don't think ClinicalPSY's phrasing was gracious at all.

Yet, while some of the responses where indeed in the same vain of the comment about Minoa and UC Berkley (which was a graceless comment), stooping to the same level is pointless. 

Anyways, I didn't come on here to argue with anonymous internet folks. I hope everyone has a good Super Bowl Sunday, and best of luck with the interview/admissions process. 

Perhaps the delivery wasn't what you would prefer, but that doesn't make it any less true/helpful. OP appeared to be apathetic towards the school (evident by the surfing comment) and didn't seem to think very highly of it ("better ranked" programs comment). If those were reflected in the SOP then it is very reasonable to think that is a reason he didn't get accepted. 

We are all stressed -- rightfully so. So I can understand that. I can also understand the posters who probably applied to the very school the OP didn't seem to think much of. Might not be the greatest feeling to discover that the program you worked hard to apply to, some think may only be good for surfing. Can't expect empathy when you don't give it. 

But, YES, have a great Super Bowl Sunday! (Unless you're a Patriots fan - I WILL bash you for that ;) )

Also - best of luck to everyone applying this term! Hopefully interview month goes well. 

On 2/5/2017 at 3:55 PM, ClinicalPSY said:

To all those who think Manoa is at the same level as UC Berkeley - great call. 

To all those getting hysterical over this issue - calm down. Focus on your scores and hope for the best. 

My 'arrogance' has already got me confirmed invitations from 3 schools. Maybe my high GRE and GPA and several peer reviewed publications had something to do with it as well. I hope all of you have the same luck (and the arrogance) :P

Dude I'm already at 5 invites and even then I won't think any less of the schools that turned me down. I didn't even have that much issue with your previous comment; its a stressful time. But this reply just paints you as slightly immature. Comments to you (including mine) could have been a little more constructive but its genuine advice. People talk and you don't know whos going to take something you say to someone else and burn your bridges.

Can we all agree to move on and let this part of the thread die? I don't want to miss any updates from schools I'm waiting on and I think you guys downvoted ClinPsy enough.

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy

2 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Dude I'm already at 5 invites and even then I won't think any less of the schools that turned me down. I didn't even have that much issue with your previous comment; its a stressful time. But this reply just paints you as slightly immature. Comments to you (including mine) could have been a little more constructive but its genuine advice. People talk and you don't know whos going to take something you say to someone else and burn your bridges.

Well done 8Bit. I have 3 offers of admissions, not interviews. This is my first year applying and it's turned out better than expected!!! Congratulations on your interview calls. Hope you knock each one out of the park :D 

3 minutes ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Well done 8Bit. I have 3 offers of admissions, not interviews. This is my first year applying and it's turned out better than expected!!! Congratulations on your interview calls. Hope you knock each one out of the park :D 

Congrats and thank you. We commented from a good place and I hope you take it to wherever you decide to enroll in. Will it be Berkley?

5 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Congrats and thank you. We commented from a good place and I hope you take it to wherever you decide to enroll in. Will it be Berkley?

Thanks 8Bit :) I also have a offer of admission from Harvard as well. But it is from my POI. He has asked me to wait for the official letter from the department to reach me. I guess once all the offers are in, I will be able to see where I would like best to be (fit, stipend, school). But yes, it's a good place to be in right now :)  

14 minutes ago, byn said:

It's a slow Sunday apparently. But thanks to your question over on the interview attire thread, I finally discovered the difference between a "pantsuit" vs. a blazer with dress pants. :lol: LOL 

Wait schools notify on a Sunday? What sorcery is this?! But yeah its been feeling pretty dang slow and its wearing on my nerves. Gonna share something my mentor told me:

So I asked: what should I say if I'm in a group interview and I'm asked what makes me a better applicant than others at the table? (thanks to whoever posted this in the prep thread)

Mentor looks me dead in the eyes and says: I will not participate in this farce!

In my head I'm thinking 'only someone who already has tenure would say that and survive XD'. The other advice I get was just to stress the unique combination each of brings to the program and with how rigorous the selection process is we'd be honored to work with any other person at this table regardless of whom the POI feels is the best fit etc etc. Basically a non-answer answer but shifts the burden to the POI so seems legit

3 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I'm trying to not let myself become overwhelmed with the anxiety, but it's waaaaay too hard right now. I don't want to end up being a failure after all of this. :( 

Looks like you're having a great cycle thus far. I definitely get it though. This entire process is just one big stress explosion/implosion cycle.

7 minutes ago, schizometric said:

Looks like you're having a great cycle thus far. I definitely get it though. This entire process is just one big stress explosion/implosion cycle.

I know. It just feels so high stakes since this will probably be the last time that I'll be able to apply, and I want to finally be successful. 

5 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I know. It just feels so high stakes since this will probably be the last time that I'll be able to apply, and I want to finally be successful. 

It's my last hoorah, as well and I'm feeling the pressure. I'm also feeling optimistic. I know I have done everything I can do to be a strong candidate.

Edited by schizometric

23 minutes ago, byn said:

Haven't you had most of the programs you applied to interview you?!

It all comes down to how you feel you did at the interviews.. Are you feeling less confident than you'd hope to post-interview for some of these programs? I have a feeling this is your year.

It's always hard to tell how I did with interviews. I've had interviews where I've felt awesome after only to be rejected. 

51 minutes ago, schizometric said:

It's my last hoorah, as well and I'm feeling the pressure. I'm also feeling optimistic. I know I have done everything I can do to be a strong candidate.

31 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

It's always hard to tell how I did with interviews. I've had interviews where I've felt awesome after only to be rejected. 

Best of luck to you both! Its not easy applying to something as competitive as graduate school multiple times so hopefully your POIs see your dedication to the field.