Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

Hey all! Sorry if this has been asked before, but are we pretty sure UMass Boston has extended all its invites? I know POI JR has, but if anyone has been contacted by other POIs or is pretty certain they're done, I'd appreciate knowing - just have to finalize some travel plans. 

19 minutes ago, psychpride9 said:

Hey all! Sorry if this has been asked before, but are we pretty sure UMass Boston has extended all its invites? I know POI JR has, but if anyone has been contacted by other POIs or is pretty certain they're done, I'd appreciate knowing - just have to finalize some travel plans. 

I don't know if they've finished but the recently sent out a mass interviewee activities document and are going to confirm housing on the 5th. So if they haven't finished they might be close.

1 hour ago, psychpride9 said:

How do you know POI JR has extended all interviews if you don't mind me asking?

School Name: University of La Verne
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/27/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Track: N/A
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: February 10, 17, or 24
Additional Info: Interview will be from 9am-3pm

May end up declining if I hear any news from other programs I interview with. 

Has anyone who interviewed at Temple and didn't receive a call this past week extending an offer hear from the DCT about your status as high alternative or low alternative? I'm wondering if it would be appropriate yet to email to ask for a status update since offers have gone out. 

2 hours ago, Slothanos15 said:

Has anyone who interviewed at Temple and didn't receive a call this past week extending an offer hear from the DCT about your status as high alternative or low alternative? I'm wondering if it would be appropriate yet to email to ask for a status update since offers have gone out. 

I think the DCT is making calls this week for alternates

On 1/28/2017 at 6:02 PM, justbreathe said:

Yeah of course! I totally understand--I just had my interview at my top choice program today, and cannot comprehend what I will do if more than about two weeks go by and I haven't heard anything haha

Some of the current grad students from my interviews said they heard back within 2 days, and others said 3 weeks... I'm really hoping I'll be on the shorter end :x

School Name: Chestnut Hill College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/30/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Track: Couple-Family Therapy
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: March 1, 2017 (flexible)
Additional Info: 9am. Meet with 2 faculty members, students. criminal background form. campus tour

10 minutes ago, gradskool24 said:

Do we think BU is done sending out invites? Has anyone heard from POI KAL? If so please let me know! 

BU interview day is Feb 10, so I would presume all interviews are out. My POI (not your person) contacted me last Thursday. 

Its kinda weird seeing definite acceptances and rejections while my interviews are still upcoming or the portal hasn't changed. That sort of closure seems so alien to me right now...(but I'm also battling the flu and maudlin due to cold meds so who knows).

Anyway...I'm guessing Rutgers has finalized invites?  

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but what is the best thing to do when you have got an offer from one of the top programs on your list and you still have interviews at other places, some of which you now know you will not go to even if you were accepted?

For those programs that you do not want to consider anymore, is it better to decline the interview(s) (that you have already promised to attend) so that you are not wasting their time and yours? Or should you go anyways because all the travel, accommodation and interview arrangements have already been made and you actually look forward to meeting with your POI even if you are not going to work with him/her? If you do go, should you be candid and tell them up front that you would not like to be considered for admission anymore? Or just do the interviews as usual and not bring it up at all? 

I'm trying to think what would be the most appropriate and ethical thing to do, but it seems like a tough decision. Any thoughts?

56 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Its kinda weird seeing definite acceptances and rejections while my interviews are still upcoming or the portal hasn't changed. That sort of closure seems so alien to me right now...(but I'm also battling the flu and maudlin due to cold meds so who knows).

Anyway...I'm guessing Rutgers has finalized invites?  

I'm with you--I haven't gotten any rejections or acceptances from psych programs (I did get one acceptance from an epidemiology program, though). I have three interviews upcoming and while I'm assuming rejections at the places I haven't heard from, I still have nothing concrete.

I assume Rutgers is done, but I never heard anything more.

12 minutes ago, wez said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but what is the best thing to do when you have got an offer from one of the top programs on your list and you still have interviews at other places, some of which you now know you will not go to even if you were accepted?

For those programs that you do not want to consider anymore, is it better to decline the interview(s) (that you have already promised to attend) so that you are not wasting their time and yours? Or should you go anyways because all the travel, accommodation and interview arrangements have already been made and you actually look forward to meeting with your POI even if you are not going to work with him/her? If you do go, should you be candid and tell them up front that you would not like to be considered for admission anymore? Or just do the interviews as usual and not bring it up at all? 

I'm trying to think what would be the most appropriate and ethical thing to do, but it seems like a tough decision. Any thoughts?

If its an official OFFICIAL offer and you know there are some schools you definitely wouldn't go to then politely email the POIs or DCTs as soon as possible that you appreciate their interest and would have loved to worked with then but you have a confirmed offer that you'd like to accept. DO NOT go and then tell them you don't want to be considered because you'd have taken up a candidates spot, their time, and it looks arrogant.

For schools that are tied with the offer then you can wait to weigh your options. And congrats!

Edited by 8BitJourney

38 minutes ago, wez said:

Congrats! If you're accepted and you aren't considering these programs anymore, do not go to these interviews. Politely inform them as soon as possible and try to get some of your travel arrangement money back. It seems wrong to go to the interview if you're not considering the school anymore since POI want to meet with potential mentees. Also, whoever is next on the waiting list should have a chance to go instead. 

Congrats again! 

On 1/27/2017 at 3:22 PM, byn said:

That is so embarrassing, and reflects so much of their (AWFULLY RUDE) program coordinator. Wow. The faculty there is a mess as well, Dr. Weathers didn't "realize" he couldn't accept students because lack of funding until AFTER deadlines, so everyone who applied to work with him basically got their application thrown into a rejection pile- And of course the majority of applicants still don't know this. Messy school, messy program, crappy funding issues, I wouldn't want to go there anyways. Dodged a huge bullet :) 

Yeah...it was shocking to see them handle the situation so poorly. And then they also just forwarded a rejection e-mail. Like a professor wrote it out, sent it to the admissions person, and then the admissions person forwarded it to the applicants who got rejected. Just seems so unprofessional and careless to me. Maybe I'm expecting too much formality since it's my first time applying to graduate schools. 

On 1/27/2017 at 4:58 PM, brightbluebirds said:

I heard from Mercer on the 20th. I was wondering what you've heard about this program, let me know thanks!

I'm from Georgia, specifically the Atlanta area, so I've always heard about Mercer growing up. They're a private school with a good reputation - especially for medical school. I believe their Clinical Science program is newer than their medical school, and I even saw that they were hiring faculty for the program, but they are accredited so that's good.

5 minutes ago, byn said:

They lack class and organization. And I saw the e-mail. I giggled a little bit at his initial sentence of the rejection, "Although this mode may seem impersonal.." Lol, how could it NOT be impersonal? Couldn't even take the time to e-mail the applicants you are rejecting yourself, you just needed a copy of their e-mails dude. What tops it off is that they are making 27 candidates interview for 4 spots... Twenty-seven. What? They are just awful.

Was this from a POI? I've never gotten a personalized rejection email unless I had interviewed. Once I did get a rejection email addressed to someone else, though.

27 is a lot but not totally outrageous. I've seen clinical programs interview anywhere from 3-15 people per spot.

9 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

Was this from a POI? I've never gotten a personalized rejection email unless I had interviewed. Once I did get a rejection email addressed to someone else, though.

27 is a lot but not totally outrageous. I've seen clinical programs interview anywhere from 3-15 people per spot.

Official title: "Coord. II, Graduate-Level Student Services "