Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

36 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Anyone got any quick tips for a phone interview? I have one later today and they didn't really provide any information about how it will be going so I'm hoping I'm prepped correctly. Thanks!

Don't stress -- they are actually pretty laid back from my experience. I've had 3 in the past month. 

One even called when I was playing Xbox and we talked about food for a solid 20 mins. I doubt that will be your experience, but I definitely wouldn't stress! Have a note card with a few questions and just have a conversation. I'm sure you'll do great! 

On 2/5/2017 at 4:24 PM, ClinicalPSY said:

Thanks 8Bit :) I also have a offer of admission from Harvard as well. But it is from my POI. He has asked me to wait for the official letter from the department to reach me. I guess once all the offers are in, I will be able to see where I would like best to be (fit, stipend, school). But yes, it's a good place to be in right now :)  

@ClinicalPSY Posters here and on the Harvard conversation are curious about which POI(s) have given out offers already. Are you the 2/3 acceptance on the results board? Would you be okay sending me and @WhereamI your POI's initials? Thanks.

Edited by psych0627

On 2/5/2017 at 4:24 PM, ClinicalPSY said:

Thanks 8Bit :) I also have a offer of admission from Harvard as well. But it is from my POI. He has asked me to wait for the official letter from the department to reach me. I guess once all the offers are in, I will be able to see where I would like best to be (fit, stipend, school). But yes, it's a good place to be in right now :)  

@ClinicalPSY congrats on Harvard offer! Would you please PM me your POI initials? Thank you and very well done!!

46 minutes ago, tomorrowforgotten said:

Don't stress -- they are actually pretty laid back from my experience. I've had 3 in the past month. 

One even called when I was playing Xbox and we talked about food for a solid 20 mins. I doubt that will be your experience, but I definitely wouldn't stress! Have a note card with a few questions and just have a conversation. I'm sure you'll do great! 

1 hour ago, Dondante_MMJ said:

I had one last week and it was no where near as formal as I thought it was going to be. I had 3 different colored note cards One was questions for her, one was questions about the program, and one was just information about my own research experience that I may forget to put in. 

Smile on the phone, I was told to do this by all the faculty members in the lab I work in! I know it sounds ridiculous but it really puts a different and more positive inflection on your voice. Which leads to also dressing up. Sounds even more ridiculous  but I also wore a suit for my phone interview. Helped me get into the mindset of A.) feeling like a badass, and B.) knowing something professional and important was about to happen.

Relax, don't feel the need to ramble on, and be comfortable with brief moments of silence, it is OK to think about an answer and it is OK that the other person is thinking as well.

Thank you both! I am under the impression that 5 faculty will be listening in on the interview which I think is what made me nervous about how it would go. I will definitely be using your advice though! :)

School Name: Pace University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/7/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: School Clinical-Child Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Choice of 2/13, 2/14, or 2/21

1 hour ago, fritolay said:

School Name: Pace University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/7/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: School Clinical-Child Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Choice of 2/13, 2/14, or 2/21

I just had my Pace interview today! :) Good luck!

3 hours ago, pollllllly said:

Has anyone heard anything from Syracuse? There's only been one mention on the results board.

My friend was at Syracuse a few weekends ago and just received an acceptance :/ Don't know POI or anything more than just that.

Hi. Harvard invitations are still alive. If you don't hear anything till the middle of next week then it's probably not good news, but even the unofficial notifications of admissions are still going out and will be happening till Feb 15 so, definitely, hang in there and keep hoping for the best :)

6 minutes ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Hi. Harvard invitations are still alive. If you don't hear anything till the middle of next week then it's probably not good news, but even the unofficial notifications of admissions are still going out and will be happening till Feb 15 so, definitely, hang in there and keep hoping for the best :)

Thanks for the resonse. Could you please message me your POI's initials since he/she already offered you admission? It would help to know if we had the same POI. Thanks and best of luck to you too! 

Hi All,

I've applied to about 12 schools (Alabama - MS and PHD, Montana, UNC - Chapel Hill, Wyoming, West Virginia, UGA, Georgia State, Alabama A&M, Vanderbilt, Fordham, and one more I can't think of right away). I have not heard A SINGLE WORD from any school...except a rejection from UGA. I know I wasn't the MOST competitive candidate, but I thought I at least stood a chance. I have a 4.0, did above average on GRE, had research experience in college, and have work experience. Any advice from anyone out there in the same boat? I am just very discouraged right now. :(

Thanks in advance for any responses!  

23 minutes ago, DrHope said:

Hi All,

I've applied to about 12 schools (Alabama - MS and PHD, Montana, UNC - Chapel Hill, Wyoming, West Virginia, UGA, Georgia State, Alabama A&M, Vanderbilt, Fordham, and one more I can't think of right away). I have not heard A SINGLE WORD from any school...except a rejection from UGA. I know I wasn't the MOST competitive candidate, but I thought I at least stood a chance. I have a 4.0, did above average on GRE, had research experience in college, and have work experience. Any advice from anyone out there in the same boat? I am just very discouraged right now. :(

Thanks in advance for any responses!  

This is my second time applying and I doubled the amount of interviews I got this time. Generally when I see a post like this I think of 4 things: fit, productivity, LORs, and luck.

1. Fit: Some POIs will want someone who is completely aligned with their interests while others will want someone who will take their research in a slightly new direction. Its really hard to tell from just their description on the school's webpage. Contacting the POI prior to the application cycle can give you an idea of this.

2. Productivity: I had a lot of undergrad research and some presentations but Post-bac I took on more leadership roles, did more presentations and tried to get on pubs.

3. LORs: My stats are cruddy on paper but my recommenders are willing to go to bat for me and really tried to create an impression of a hard dedicated worker. You really need strong letters to help you stand out.

4. Luck: POIs lose funding, may have had a bad day, for some reason your application wasn't properly processed, someone just wasn't feeling you, the list goes on on the 'luck' factors that applicant's can't control.

2,3, and to an extent 1 are pretty controllable and if you unfortunately have to apply next year I encourage you to work on those three. Also remember these programs are extremely competitive (I believe this year unc-chapel hill will probably have an acceptance rate of less than 2%!) This isn't to dissuade you but just to steel you for how difficult the process is. Hopefully, other people on this board who've applied 2 or 3 times can chime in as well.

Edited by 8BitJourney

1 hour ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Hi @ClinicalPSY did you have an interview? Would you please message me the POI name? At this point I am willing to hear whether there's any hope - either way. Thank you in advance! Congrats!

Hi WhereamI - yes I did interview both on the phone and on campus. Though I also know that invitations to interview are still going on and will be happening till 15 Feb. I just got one early since I had been in touch with my POI for almost 6 months. I am sure you have a shot still. 

22 hours ago, byn said:

He/she is most likely a troll, with no offer from Harvard. Just randomly changed their username now to @YES!!!. I wouldn't even take his/her comments on here seriously whatsoever- Read back to earliest posts and take a look for yourself. 

@byn thanks for this. I was suspecting the same, and I just looked back at the prior conversation/argument that I hadn't previously read- yikes  :(

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy

C'mon y'all that's enough. It's run its course and there are more productive things we could be discussing. Based on past years it seems like Harvard finishes up most of its business by 2/3rd week of February, till then focus on your other applications/interviews; its what I'm doing (and what those POIs/schools deserve).

46 minutes ago, YES!!! said:

The nastiness and pettiness of members such as byn are beyond stunning to observe. byn, I would advice you to focus your energies on more than trying to sabotage the application prospects of others with nothing more than viciousness and venom as your tools. Remember that karma is a very powerful element. Having said that, I wish everyone the best of luck here. I have got my official invitation from Berkeley in my inbox just now so have no further use to hang around here and watch frustrated candidates like byn spew venom. And no, I don't think it is wise to reveal your POI here as long as you have members like this who will make every attempt they can (no matter how feeble it is) to harm the prospects of another. Harvard is still pending but with Berkeley in the bag, I have at least ONE OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION. Not POI, not unofficial. This is the real deal :)

I have to admit that I feel the response to @YES!!!/ClinicalPSY has been a bit over the top. But I will also say that I think one of the things that makes this forum a positive asset to applicants rather than merely a place to stoke anxiety through competitive comparison is that folks really make an effort to be supportive, helpful, and sensitive to others. Frankly, @YES!!!, your posts have consistently lacked that sensitivity and simply wishing others "good luck" doesn't make up for the braggadocious comments that have rubbed so many people the wrong way. I hope that your continuing education provides you with a bit more cognizance of the impact your words have on others and compassion for those who may be dealing with challenging emotions. Best of luck to you. 

Edited by ServeNStudy

9 minutes ago, YES!!! said:

ServeNStudy is marking out an individual in the hope that they somehow get on the wrong side of an admissions committee being supportive and sensitive? And yes, I do respect your perspective about everything you have stated above!

No, I agree that that response seemed overly vindictive and also not in the spirit of this otherwise largely supportive community, even if it was misguidedly in the name of protecting that community. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind and all that. Thank you for being receptive to my unsolicited 2 cents!

The REAL villain here is society and it's misplaced values that lead to such a damning dearth of funding for scientific progress and mental health care. Hopefully we can all agree on that!

Edited by ServeNStudy

A vindictive individual can not claim to serve any society or community. Such individuals serve only their own pettiness. And incidentally I have responded in great detail to anyone who has bothered to mail me in private. I am hesitant to name my POI here because I am wary of vindictive individuals who might choose to contact my POI(s) and attempt to falsely discredit me before them. I do realize that this is a difficult time for everyone (as it was for me till just a few days ago when things fell nicely into place), but at no stage till I take to abusing or harassing any individual. 

And I do agree ServeNStudy that this entire admissions process needs to be revisited to make it less distressing for all concerned!