Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

50 minutes ago, metalpsychperson said:

Just got a call from my POI at Baylor and I was accepted off the waitlist! Will most likely accept. Super excited of course, although it's crazy to think I'll probably be moving back to Texas in just a few months!

40 minutes ago, blonderoast said:

Just accepted my offer from Syracuse! It's such a relief to be done with this process.

Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

Is PGSP-Stanford considered one of the best PsyD programs out there? I feel like I have a tough time understanding what the general view on this school is since it's a relatively new program.

6 hours ago, ServeNStudy said:

Is PGSP-Stanford considered one of the best PsyD programs out there? I feel like I have a tough time understanding what the general view on this school is since it's a relatively new program.

If you haven't yet, you should search the available threads on the Student Doctor Network forum. I have heard from several sources that, "Stanford is paid to have their name used, but the program is not Stanford quality." I know two people who were accepted, but chose not to go because they felt they wouldn't receive the same level training that they would from other schools (and their tuition is also ridiculous). I was considering applying myself, but ended up not after hearing these things. 

8 hours ago, ServeNStudy said:

ServeNStudy it's always tough to pass judgement on any program but from what the general chatter that one hears, PGSP might NOT be the best option around. The Stanford attached to it could be taken with a pinch of salt. If you have other options it would be good to explore them. This is an expensive program as well so that's something to think about. Again, no disrespect meant to the program, and accepting that I am a complete outsider, this is how I view it. I also know that eventually it is not the program but what you make of it that matters more than anything else. So if this is your one shot, embrace it gladly and make the most of it. If you have options, do reconsider them.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:48 AM, ServeNStudy said:

I'm from the area and the PGSP program is well respected.  Just a trend I noticed (so take with a gain of salt), but there are not a lot of clinical schooling options in the area and a lot of the people who attend the program seem to do so because moving is not an option.  I've worked with several professors and graduates from the program and they are great researchers and clinicians.  Personally, I didn't consider applying because of the cost.  They even charge tuition the year you are away on internship which seems borderline unethical to me.

Has anyone heard anything from UMKC? I've been told that I'm waitlisted without an interview, and I've seen a few others in the same boat from the results page, but I haven't heard from anyone who got an interview or were accepted?

3 hours ago, anxietyrunner said:

Has anyone heard anything from UMKC? I've been told that I'm waitlisted without an interview, and I've seen a few others in the same boat from the results page, but I haven't heard from anyone who got an interview or were accepted?

This is Missouri Kansas City correct? If so, my friend interviewed, received an offer immediately after that weekend and accepted it. Hope that info helps at all!

14 hours ago, ellieotter said:

This is Missouri Kansas City correct? If so, my friend interviewed, received an offer immediately after that weekend and accepted it. Hope that info helps at all!

Yes, it does, thank you! Do you happen to know/mind sharing their POI?

On 3/31/2017 at 1:19 PM, anxietyrunner said:

I also got waitlisted for UMKC and have been anxiously awaiting for any news.

8 hours ago, jndeiss said:

I also got waitlisted for UMKC and have been anxiously awaiting for any news.

Yeah, I'm considering reaching out to them. I'm going crazy checking everything, but at least we will know soon enough! Do you mind sharing who your POI is?

On 4/1/2017 at 10:37 AM, ellieotter said:

I'll PM you what I'm pretty sure the POI initials are! :)

Would you PM me as well? I also got waitlisted and I know the POI I interviewed for had several people interested.

Just got an acceptance from a program where my PI previously found out he couldn't take any students after the interview. I had an official rejection letter and everything! Just in case anyone needed any hope today that crazy things can still happen.

35 minutes ago, blonderoast said:

Just got an acceptance from a program where my PI previously found out he couldn't take any students after the interview. I had an official rejection letter and everything! Just in case anyone needed any hope today that crazy things can still happen.

Congratulations!

3 hours ago, blonderoast said:

Congratulations! That's awesome! What program?

Officially jumping ship from clinical to counseling but will be working alongside you guys in spirit. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Also feel free to pm if anyone finds themselves in the same boat. I know the switch can be difficult.

1 hour ago, 8BitJourney said:

Officially jumping ship from clinical to counseling but will be working alongside you guys in spirit. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Also feel free to pm if anyone finds themselves in the same boat. I know the switch can be difficult.

I also decided to go the counseling route over clinical, nice to meet someone else who did the same :) And congrats on making a decision!

12 hours ago, jndeiss said:

Would you PM me as well? I also got waitlisted and I know the POI I interviewed for had several people interested.

11 hours ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

Do you care to PM my the POI initials as well?? Thank you!

I PM'd you both! :)

2 hours ago, ellieotter said:

I also decided to go the counseling route over clinical, nice to meet someone else who did the same :) And congrats on making a decision!

Thanks! Same to you too! It was a 50/50 split but the counseling program is closer to home which I really need right now, though it's hard getting out of the 'clinical is king' mentality. Where will you be heading if you don't mind me asking?

2 minutes ago, ellieotter said:

I understand that completely! I ultimately I chose a school with the best "fit and best practicum opportunities based on my interests" out of my offers regardless of the clinical/counseling basis. I am headed to Central Arkansas! How about you?

NYU counseling :) I've heard that CA has a strong program so you'll get great training!

1 minute ago, 8BitJourney said:

NYU counseling :) I've heard that CA has a strong program so you'll get great training!

NYU?! That's amazing!! I am in love with NY and will actually be visiting NYC soon! (Crazy to believe but I actually won a free trip through work!)

And thank you!! Now just counting down the days till August. Am I right? haha