Fall 2010 Admission Results

I was contacted by a professor at the University of Michigan in my subfield and was told I was accepted. No other details at the time.

Wow, congrats! It looks like you're going to have some seriously hard decisions to make- a great problem to have. :)

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd jump in. Congrats to everyone accepted at Michigan! Were the acceptances all in a single subfield? I'm hoping that maybe the calls have only been made in that subfield and that I might still have a shot!

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd jump in. Congrats to everyone accepted at Michigan! Were the acceptances all in a single subfield? I'm hoping that maybe the calls have only been made in that subfield and that I might still have a shot!

I hope so too. Can those who got in Michigan tell us what your subfields are? Many thanks.

They make decisions within each subfield and all subfields representatives meet together to forward accepted applications to the Graduate School. Michigan's American Politics is TOP 1 in the nation, so it may take more time to process these applications.

Ha, mine is IR, same as you, I guess. I'm out then...

Thank you for informing me of FSUs problems, I had not heard of their actions. Saying that, the University of Florida has also fired their share of tenured professors. After doing some more research, it seems that all, if not most, Florida state schools are firing tenured faculty.

I think the FSU poli sci department was spared though. Just looking at the faculty list, only one of the IR/CP faculty has moved since I finished undergrad in '08, and he did so on his own.

Congrats all around to everyone accepted at Michigan, Emory, and WUSTL in the last few days (oh and forgot, also to fellow FSU admit!).

Suddenly Paranoid- Maybe I missed something and I hate to ask people to repeat themselves, but what was the info you have on FSU re their department? I'm an Americanist myself and am strongly considering their program, so greatly appreciate it if you reiterated whatever it was for my apparently wandering mind (lol).

Edited by APGradApplicant

Oh, and question regarding Emory. I know one person on this board, in response to my inquiry, had said that they were told that they among "about ten people" invited to visit and that they would make decisions after that. However, someone else posted an acceptance via phone that happened Wednesday (soon to be yesterday here on west coast!). If that person is willing to show themselves on this board, I would just be curious to know a) what your subfield are is and B) were you invited for that visit too, or no? Asking because I'm trying to figure out if this is a weekend (or weekday, whatever) for admitted AND considered students or just the latter. My guess, like I said, is that I did not make the cut for this relatively small program, but I was just trying to get a lay of the land.

Oh, and question regarding Emory. I know one person on this board, in response to my inquiry, had said that they were told that they among "about ten people" invited to visit and that they would make decisions after that. However, someone else posted an acceptance via phone that happened Wednesday (soon to be yesterday here on west coast!). If that person is willing to show themselves on this board, I would just be curious to know a) what your subfield are is and B) were you invited for that visit too, or no? Asking because I'm trying to figure out if this is a weekend (or weekday, whatever) for admitted AND considered students or just the latter. My guess, like I said, is that I did not make the cut for this relatively small program, but I was just trying to get a lay of the land.

I know last year that some people were admitted and others were called for interviews about the same time. I do not know what the difference is between these folks, but I do know that type of system is in the norm for Emory. Then I think they had another recruitment type event later on, but my memory may be serving me poorly on that part.

I just missed an international call, I can't trace it further than that, I thought it was my dad, until I rang him back and he said it wasn't him.. so now I'm super paranoid and can't really ring them to ask since I rang them yesterday and if it wasn't then I look like a complete stalker! Consoling myself with a belief that they're not going to reject me because I didn't answer the phone....right? :lol: Also..t was probably a call centre in India or somewhere :)

Edited by Sanssouci

Hopefully we will hear from UVA and Northwestern today or tomorrow. I don't want to go through another long weekend in suspension.

UVA was 2nd Monday of Feb. last year (2/9) judging by the plethora of responses. While I'd also love to find out today, I think we'll be waiting another weekend.

On the plus side, it's supposed to snow 18 inches or something ridiculous this weekend, so I'll have plenty of exhausting work shoveling snow to keep my mind off of things :)

I just missed an international call, I can't trace it further than that, I thought it was my dad, until I rang him back and he said it wasn't him.. so now I'm super paranoid and can't really ring them to ask since I rang them yesterday and if it wasn't then I look like a complete stalker! Consoling myself with a belief that they're not going to reject me because I didn't answer the phone....right? :lol: Also..t was probably a call centre in India or somewhere :)

A friend of mine received an email from Penn State, and they asked for a time slot that they could call during. So she gave a certain time slot, and when she received the call, turns out it was an acceptance call :) So I'm guessing thats the practice with international students.

A friend of mine received an email from Penn State, and they asked for a time slot that they could call during. So she gave a certain time slot, and when she received the call, turns out it was an acceptance call :) So I'm guessing thats the practice with international students.

Thanks, logically I'm thinking this is the case for most Universities, but there's nothing like an untraceable international call to set your imagination wild. :rolleyes: