Peabody Vanderbilt Fall 2017

hopefulPhD2017

On 1/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, OutdoorsEd said:

. Two, today seems like a terrible day to call. Maybe they're going to email their invites, but I think Vandy is the type to call (assumption here).

FWIW, I did not get a call; I got an email. (last year, LTD)

15 minutes ago, vaporeon said:

FWIW, I did not get a call; I got an email. (last year, LTD)

It may be faculty preference. It looks like a lot of previous notifications in the results survey were emails, but I think 1too3for5's was a call. Basically, monitor everything, I guess. Lol

22 minutes ago, Espeon said:

It may be faculty preference. It looks like a lot of previous notifications in the results survey were emails, but I think 1too3for5's was a call. Basically, monitor everything, I guess. Lol

As if I wasn't constantly refreshing my email! Argh!!

15 minutes ago, hopeful_educator_1029 said:

First true business day of the week...and here I am back to constantly refreshing my email, checking to make sure I have phone service, and logging into gradcafe to see if there have been news....:o

Well, you're not alone.  I'm doing the same thing today.  I was told they would notify "by the end of January" which feels like a VERY LONG TIME, so I hope it's this week. 

29 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

Still 14 days left in January. :unsure:

If the "end of January" part is accurate, then this week is out. It'll definitely be next week. Does anyone know when the interview weekend is scheduled?

Yep, its Feb 10-12 (says the professors with whom I did a skype interview in Dec)

3 hours ago, ugggggh said:

@OutdoorsEd Agreed.  It's a tight turnaround for sure.  I've been kind of trying to keep that weekend open as much as possible just in case.  3 weeks certainly seems more mindful of applicant schedules, finances and anxiety levels. 

Agreed. When I reviewed previous year results, I noticed there was typically only a 2-3 week window between notification/invitation and actual weekend.

12 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

So are we thinking that all of Peabody has scheduled its interviews or just LPO? I'm too terrified to call and ask. Someone else do it for me. Haha.

YES!  Someone call, please. :) I'm stuck at work all day and can't do it.

Well, I called this morning and talked to a not-super-helpful woman who said "I wasn't involved in sending the letters, and I'm not sure, but they all come from the Dean's office and I think they've all gone out already." re: invites for any Peabody Teaching & Learning PhD program. 

Hello there! :)

Wondering if there are Peabody applicants out there who have already received a response for any of the master's programs, are there? 

Last year responses started floating around 3rd week of january! it's that time of the year. :D

4 hours ago, ugggggh said:

Well, I called this morning and talked to a not-super-helpful woman who said "I wasn't involved in sending the letters, and I'm not sure, but they all come from the Dean's office and I think they've all gone out already." re: invites for any Peabody Teaching & Learning PhD program. 

I called today as well. Around 140pm central time. I spoke to someone in graduate admissions. He looked up my application and said it was still checked as "under evaluation." He couldn't say if that meant I was not sent/not going to be sent an interview invite. He did say I could expect to know for sure one way or the other by the end of next week. 

The emails from Kim Brazil are auto-sent, which I figured was the case. She however is not "in the know" for any specific programs so getting or not getting any of her emails doesn't mean anything. 

If I had to make a guess, I'd guess that interview invites have been sent out and they haven't switched anyone to rejected yet just in case those interviews don't work out. Still strange that only two people that received invites out of any PhD program at Peabody check and post on Grad Cafe. 

Edited by OutdoorsEd

4 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

I called today as well. Around 140pm central time. I spoke to someone in graduate admissions. He looked up my application and said it was still checked as "under evaluation." He couldn't say if that meant I was not sent/not going to be sent an interview invite. He did say I could expect to know for sure one way or the other by the end of next week. 

The emails from Kim Brazil are auto-sent, which I figured was the case. She however is not "in the know" for any specific programs so getting or not getting any of her emails doesn't mean anything. 

If I had to make a guess, I'd guess that interview invites have been sent out and they haven't switched anyone to rejected yet just in case those interviews don't work out. Still strange that only two people to get invites out of any PhD program at Peabody check and post on Grad Cafe. 

I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not the only one fretting over these.  It *does* seem odd that the results are so low - which is part of what gives me hope about maybe getting positive news some time next week.  I guess either way, I'll be happy by the end of next week because the uncertainty will have been resolved.  

I'm not sure if I'm getting the emails from Kim Brazil, but that's fine.  Seeing "Vanderbilt" in my inbox would probably give me a heart attack. 

While I understand the uncertainty you all feel, I don't think it is a good practice to call the admission office, the departments, or other program staff/faculty members. They are busy with their daily operations and don't want to get interrupted by applicants.

44 minutes ago, nashville0808 said:

While I understand the uncertainty you all feel, I don't think it is a good practice to call the admission office, the departments, or other program staff/faculty members. They are busy with their daily operations and don't want to get interrupted by applicants.

I agree. But I legitimately had a question and felt a bit confused by some information that was out there. I received an email a few days ago saying thanks for applying and that my application was still being reviewed. Yet it's common knowledge that the interview weekend is February 10th, which is coming up fast. Plus some have already posted that they've received interview invites. 

The email I received had a phone number to call if I had any questions. I called it mostly asking if I had missed anything since the interview weekend was coming up soon. The guy was very nice and checked my application for me and sent me on my way. 

No harm, I don't think. Hopefully no foul. 

9 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

I agree. But I legitimately had a question and felt a bit confused by some information that was out there. I received an email a few days ago saying thanks for applying and that my application was still being reviewed. Yet it's common knowledge that the interview weekend is February 10th, which is coming up fast. Plus some have already posted that they've received interview invites. 

The email I received had a phone number to call if I had any questions. I called it mostly asking if I had missed anything since the interview weekend was coming up soon. The guy was very nice and checked my application for me and sent me on my way. 

No harm, I don't think. Hopefully no foul. 

So I'm home from work, sick, which is a drag because it's a day of mourning for many of us. Not to turn political but today I'd much rather be distracted by work from both the inauguration and this PhD waiting game. Bolstered by @OutdoorsEd I gave Peabody a call, and I was told that first round candidates, who will receive interviews, are still being determined and that some people have not been notified. They expect notifications to be complete by the end of day. So that's good news for some of us, I should hope!

I did not ask for specific programs, and I'm trusting @Espeon's intel on my specific program (LPO) is accurate

He said 2nd round candidates will be notified later next week, not sure what that means exactly...